2014 F1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 28 | FerrariChat

2014 F1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jul 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great stuff D, always got to be one up on me haven't you...;)

LOL Yer on form my son ..;)

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Poor deluded lass still prefers me.
    ;)

3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Not to defend anyone, but Kimi was there on Sunday, not on Saturday. He was driving up the hill together with John Surtees. When he arrived he was actually "taking the piss"
    (literally) and then he had to do an interview with Surtees for the Sky Television. The first cars were already on their way down when they finished so there was actually no time to give autographs.

Actually it was worse down in the assembly area: the climb up the hill was delayed at least half an hour because of a crash in the batch before and whereas John Surtees was there to talk to mechanics and the press Raikkonen just arrived in time for a few images and to climb into the car...

4. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    yea Saturday or Sunday, he did what he did, or didn't :)
    I was there for 3 days and the days just blended.
    Sunday was a long long day due to the crashes.
    Hey did u see the Typhoon :)

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    wait...surely not!!!!

"I’ve championed Nico since he was at Williams, saying what a great little driver he is because I could see the potential he had. In hindsight, we underestimated Michael Schumacher during his comeback which meant that Nico’s speed was underestimated as well. "

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    OMG...what about the comments? Mostly British, I'd say.

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd like to see what Brundle had to say if Nico had another DNF, which of course would even the tally.

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Did you read the whole article?

10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have to admit no, I was busy mate, I'll give it a scroll later, I take it he has that covered.

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ahhhh..yes. Pays to read before commenting :p

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Some of us have more time than others get to bed...;)

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    true. I don't know many people with more time than I have, but that's no excuse for you!

14. DF1

Certainly more than a few known F1 writers have now agree'd Nico did well against MS and MS was doing a good job in his comeback. I like Brundle as a writer.

15. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    #690 toil, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Personally I think the article lacks substance entirely.

His entire justification for nico being a thinking driver was as follows;

1. He positioned his car on pole on the racing line in silverstone rather than trying to cover off vettel. Apparently this shows he is thinking ahead and his "supreme confidence" in his ability.

Rebuttal: Renault power is probably the slowest on the grid. The only way vettel would've beat nico off the line is if he had a terrible start...such a move was common sense lol.

2. He claims nico knew the lap was dry in the last sector And thus carried on with his qualy lap

Rebuttal: nico said himself in the press conference after the race that he had no idea that would happen and thought himself that he was done for but went out anyway, saying that it he didn't go out it was 100% chance no improvement and if he did go out then at least there is a small chance. For someone who has supposedly followed nico since his Williams days one would expect a more persuasive argument than nico took a stab in the dark in qualifying just like half of the other q3 drivers.

The only point I agree with him on is that lewis was stupid for aborting his lap.

With regard to the dnfs; it's not even as he says it is. Lewis has 2 and nico didn't manage canada any better than lewis. By dint of lewis being behind and having hotter brakes his problem exacerbated faster. Nico had the benefit of hindsight once he knew what was the cause of Lewis's problem. Both drove around like helpless chickens when the MGUK failed exasperatingly asking their engineers for a fix over radio. Neither had the foresight to realise it would result in too much stress on the brakes to change the settings.

Anyway I'm getting off track. Point is lewis has 5 wins and nico has 3. Lewis would have won silverstone even if nico didn't retire. Nico inherited Australia. Monaco we will never know what would've happened because of the qualy mishap. Austria is Lewis's fault for fhking up qualy; at least his first lap was his fault but the second hot lap lock up didn't seem to be. Even then if pit stops were of equal time nico may have lost despite lewis starting 9th (though lewis car positioning in pit questionable)

Anyway point is with a few little changes in fortune it could very easily be 7+ wins to lewis and 1-2 for nico. Watch out for the next half of the reason, mark my words lewis has it in the bag assuming the car is reliable.

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Lewis needs to stop talking.

Lewis Hamilton has poked fun at Mercedes team-mate and title rival Nico Rosberg's allegiance to Germany ahead of his home race at Hockenheim.

Team-mate Rosberg was born to a German mother and Finnish father, 1982 champion Keke, but has spent the majority of his life in Monaco. Despite the fact Rosberg races under the German flag in Formula One, Hamilton does not think this will give him an edge at Hockenheim.

"To be honest Nico has never actually been in Germany, so it's not really his home race," Hamilton said. "I remember when we were in karting he didn't stand next to a German flag - ever! We had to go on the start line and all the drivers would stand next to a grid girl.

"They would be holding a flag or a sign saying Hungary or whatever, and he always stood by Monaco. He never stood by Germany. I've known him growing up in Monaco, so I know Monaco is his home."

Despite this, Hamilton acknowledges the fact that Rosberg will be the subject of the pre-race attention in Germany as he was at Silverstone.

"He definitely will because undoubtedly he's German, but he's German - Finnish, from Monaco, or whatever. So he'll get that support in Monaco and Germany, and he's always had great support there.

"He'll have a busier week there than I will, just like I did ahead of Silverstone. But it's always good to beat others on their home turf, so it would be great to win in Germany."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That is so ridiculous. You have NO way of knowing that.

In this day of fuel economy running and tyre management making a statement like that show a lack of understanding IMO.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong...just that there's no way of knowing.

18. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    None of the drivers need to stop talking. It's good to hear the hostilitys. I mean what the hell would we talk about if all we had was on track driving and no radio feed back or of track slanging. We wanted this so now we have it.

19. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Did you even watch the race? On the couple of laps before lewis pitted for the first time nico was lapping 3 tenths faster on fresher tires. I think at that point they were both on mediums (Ofc nicos were much fresher). Hamilton then made the smart strategic move of getting onto hards and immediately started taking nearly a second a lap out of rosberg after his outlap. Not only that but lewis had used less fuel, had fresher tires by about 6 laps and was going to get an extra stint on the faster tire.

Nico would've been passed a few laps later gearbox problem or not. Unless of course a pink dinosaur flew down from heaven and waved a magic wand to make nico lap a second quicker

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Possibly but by no means certainly.

21. DF1

Disagree. LH comments on Nico are hardly noteworthy. They add nothing to the 'fight' etc on the track. Nico has more than enough support to handle someone as emotionally fragile as LH. LH's comment only prove more of that fragility. He should stop talking, remain above the petty worthless commentary the press so love to hear, and focus on the task at hand.

The on track action more than makes up for a lack of noteworthy F1 news. LH should be more mature and better than this. Its silly and beyond stupid for a smart driver like LH.

22. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Ridiculous notion to wanting drivers not to talk. Of course it adds to the season.
    We will have to agree to disagree.

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It depends on what sort of entertainment you're looking for.
    I prefer drivers to do their "talking" on track.

24. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Nothing is certain in this life except death. :p but an intelligent guess would
    Say lewis

25. DF1

LOL! I will take real competition on the track vs essentially gossip commentary in the press. Its this type of talk that makes you look ever more foolish if your intended target -

A - Beats you on track
    B - Wins the title without resorting to useless commentary and virtual insult

This is not hard to understand. LH has a bit too much celebrity for his own good. He has already reeled back his comments about his "hunger" vs Nico. The comments alluded to the celebrity lifestyle Nico led vs LH. The truth is LH was living in a house with his family valued at over 1mil pounds before entering F1 LOL! So much for that.

Lets be honest here LH is not much of Brit resident anymore either and enjoys a low tax life in Monaco. Pot missing kettle it seems.