2014 Daytona 500 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

2014 Daytona 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Feb 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you for the clarification but in all the racing I have been exposed to the rules are very strict with no leeway. Even if he drove 2 inches under power to enter his pit stall then he should have been penalized. It is not like the team did not have the option to push him and lets not forget he was lucky to have the access opening in front of his stall or we would be discussing crew injuries or fatalities instead.

2. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    For the most part NASCAR allows drivers to get going in the right direction on pit road even if it means going the wrong way. At the 2003 Brickyard I was right at the pit stall for Dale Jarrett when he spun pulling into his pit stall and had to do a figure eight to get going the right direction and make his pit. No penalty.

Last wednesday at the Daytona practice I watched the #4 car pull out for practice but was stopped at the end of pit road due to the red flag crash and he turned around and drove all the back the wrong way down pit road back to the garage entrance.

One of the last Daytona races where they crashed crossing the finish line for the checkers several cars drove the wrong way back down pit road instead of going another lap to get to the garage.

A driver can't go the wrong way down pit road whenever he wants but NASCAR gives a lot of leeway under certain circumstances and it happens on occasion. Lots of room for judgement before a penalty would be called and not nearly as cut and dried as one would think it would be.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Very clear. Thank you.

It seems like NASCAR does its best to ensure races are settled on the track even if it means flexible rules governing details like driving the wrong way on pit lane.

4. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    About my only beef with NASCAR is their " flexible " rules and their inconstancies governing them.

I was at the Nationwide race on Saturday and they have a new rule where the cars can bump draft but not push or stay in contact for any length of time. Joey Coulter was having a great race running up front but got black flagged for pushing and had to serve a drive thru penalty which ruined his chances of a win.

Not long after that the camera zoomed in on Kyle Bush as he pushed a car half way down the back stretch and when the crowd saw it on the Jumbotron they were all yelling to black flag him as well but no penalty was called. The announcer tried to cover it by saying KB was pushing but the officials can't see everything so he got away with it. I find it funny that the whole stands saw him do it on camera yet the officials didn't make the same call they made on Joey Coulter.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Watching the replay a few times, if he slowed down, chances are he would have been hit in the rear. I would have given #5 the benefit of the doubt as his speed was not an accident as the driver was aware of the potential problem. If had not noted the spinning car, then the penalty would have been legit.

As it was, bad call by NASCAR. Team should protest.

6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I don't think they can protest.

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #107 RP, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    That's awesome... Go Dale! ....both of them

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    But, heaven help the poor schmuck who's rear spoiler is 1/10,000th of a centimeter too
    high. That's a finin and suspendin...

BHW

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    video footage of the NASCAR penalty office:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N55c_t0AlQ]That's a Paddlin' - YouTube[/ame]

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    NASCAR's past rulings on taking to pit road at speed to avoid a wreck - is if you don't work on the car, you're good. Since Casey did stop and work on the car, it invoked a penalty.

One thing I don't get.

Last year after richmond they came out and said they expect drivers to drive 100% all the time...then this year in NW they bring out a rule that says you can't????!! That said the "drive at 100%" all the time annoys me most.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    What has always amazed me is how they make up rules on the spot.

A driver in qualifying will have his spoiler literally 1/10,000th of a centimeter too
    high. The driver will get disqualified and shuffled to the back of the field. The
    crew chief will be chastised, suspended or fined.

But, they'll let cars return to the races after one of the "big ones" with bodywork
    missing, parts falling off, going 100MPH less than the rest of the field. The falling parts
    or the wayward cars will usually cause another multi-car shunt, but NASCAR doesn't
    have a problem with that all.

It's the bizarro world Jerry!

BHW

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's all about the show, bro!

;)

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its a matter of intent - for example Waltrip's truck race where the spoiler "fell" on the last lap, NASCAR noticed the parts holding it up had been hollowed - penalty.

The penalties in the past will often vary by whether a team is in a position to win a championship or not. A new team with a new driver might be told to "don't do this again", a team that should know better like the #48 will get smacked.

The goal is to make sure the championship isn't decided with illegal equipment in use. I really don't have an issue at all the inconsistent penalties for off track mistakes/intentional's with the car.

Paul Menard's team got away with quite a bit two years ago until they looked like they would make the chase - NASCAR had kept telling them not to do stuff for a few weeks prior almost in a row - points put them in contention - and whammo with the ban hammer.

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    And the show is the best in motorsports.

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #117 4re Nut, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. appears on the cover of Sports Illustrated after Daytona 500 victory | SI Wire

Apparently I'm not in the NASCAR region b/c my copy has an 18 yr old female Olympic gold medal winner on it...she's much better looking than Jr...so I'm ok with it. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Let's be clear, NASCAR is a show.

It is not sport.

When asked all of the drivers, team owners and sponsors on such, nearly 100%
    they respond "show".

Confusing NASCAR with relevant racing is akin to saying WWE is a real sport.

DIS is responding to dwindling crowds and declining TV numbers by reducing the
    amount of seating at the track, completely doing away with the Tiny Lund grandstand
    on the back straight.

BHW

19. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    NASCAR is no more simply just a show than F1, often called a circus. And NASCAR is as much sport as any other form of motorsports. If any form of motorsports did not put on a "show", you would not see many fans in the stands. F1's fan base has shrunk, they have not been putting a good show for a few years. Hopefully 2014 changes will stop the downward move.

I am not a fan of drag racing, but it is a sport.

NBA. NFL, etc., they are all entertainment, shows on their specific stage, along with being sports.

One has to both appreciate motorsports in general without some personal prejudice, and possibly have even experienced behind the scenes in the various forms of motorsports to understand that all motorsports are just that, sports and shows to entertain. Except for SCCA amateur events, racing is a business, somebody wants to make a profit, and to do that you need to put on a good show for the paying fans.

NASCAR just does it better.

20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Here here.