2014 Daytona 500 | FerrariChat

2014 Daytona 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Feb 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #1 RP, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought there would a thread by now. Anyway, not sure if this happened for ratings. But still, as someone that was at the Daytona 500 in 2001, I feel good about this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I usually watch the Daytona 5.... last 5 laps that is....

3. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    NASCAR WOOOHOOOO

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I like Austin Dillon and I like to see a mix up regarding front row starts especially a newbie of sorts. I always try to watch every NASCAR race (even if it is a rerun) simply because it is racing (some say easily amused). The big races like Daytona are a must watch in my opinion and the race is so long it allows time for tending the bbq pit. I will be tuned in on the big screen.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'll be there...first Daytona 500 live. Oldfield grandstand between T4 and pit entry. should be fun! :)

anyone else going?

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Great choice! That's the best spot to watch for wrecks. Someone trying to go low and slow for pit-entry will cause a collision.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ;)

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm not a HUGE NASCAR fan, but I am happy to see the #3 back. Would be happier if it were on Dale Jr's car, however, where it really belongs :(

I liked Dale Sr because he was a throwback to the Andretti, Foyt, Gurney mold, especially later in his career (eg, the Corvette C5-R work).

Otherwise, some locals from my area are quite relevant with modern NASCAR, and I follow them (Martin Truex, Ray Evernham).

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I too would have preferred that Dale Jr. had the #3, but his current team did not own the number. I was there when Sr. passed, ended the best NASCAR era.

I plan to be at Daytona in 2015.

NASCAR fun to watch, more so than F1. I hope that the 2014 rules provide some competition in F1. The Tudor series got off to a great start, close racing.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree, that era of drivers from the mid 80's to early 00's was awesome-Earnhardt, Labonte, Jarrett, Wallace, Martin, etc. Sr. died just as the others were retiring or found themselves in uncompetitive rides, but his death certainly is the symbolic end of that era.

in some ways it's the same as F1, Senna, Prost, Mansell, Piquet etc vs dominance by one driver now with no true rival.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Let's see, so far the pace car (which is the most technically sophisticated car on the
    track at Daytonner) caught fire. No worries, there are 40 replacements all ready to go.

There has already been a multi-car pile up where a car broke through the catch fencing and
    landed upside down again. Oh, and that was in a practice session.

Yes, its shaping up to be another epic round of phantom caution, green-white-checker,
    Mountain Dew chugging nonsense.

BHW

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I will be damned if I will sit here and let you bad mouth Mountain Dew!! :D

Yet I do agree that the race could be turned into another disgrace/fiasco with phantom cautions and a green-white-checker finish. Oh how the once mighty continue to fall knowing good and well they have forgotten what NASCAR is all about.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sources tell me that when the new $400M grandstand is finished at DIS, it will
    feature gold plated Roman fountains with hot and cold running Mountain Dew.

That'll make 'em happy!

BHW

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    at this point NASCAR has exactly zero defense if a car goes into the stands.

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #15 Str8shooter, Feb 20, 2014

Actually on the back of every ticket is the statement that basically says by using the ticket you release NASCAR from any responsibility. In addition they now have signs up at the gates, or at least at the garage entry which says those entering now assume the risk. I think that would be the basis of their defense :)

The catch fence has been tested by Bodine in a truck, Petty cartwheeling, Larson last year and then yesterday. It has worked very well in keeping a car from going into the stands. Debris is another matter and maybe some day they will be forced to put up clear panels behind the fence.

With the much published incident last year people should know by now that they are not 100% safe when attending an auto race just like they are not driving to and from the race or from a plane crashing into the stands from the airport next door. One should calculate the risk and then deem if it is acceptable.

What I'll never understand is how they ran those rally races and let people stand on the side of the road and what those people were thinking to begin with :eek:

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice pic Bill! you going to be at the 500? if so, shooting or just spectating? hopefully the weather holds.

I know what the tickets say but this is the 2nd year in a row a car has gotten into the fence roughly at start/finish and put debris on the wrong side of the fence...

17. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #17 Str8shooter, Feb 20, 2014
    I'm going Saturday and watching the 500 on TV.

I knew you knew about the ticket and I think you even pointed that out to someone in another thread. I was just trying to counter your " zero defense " comment. :). Most people don't bother to read the fine print on the back giving them a sense of false security should anything happen.

Even after all we know about cars tearing into the fence there will be people trying to stand against the fence on Sunday to feel the cars go by. Security will tell them to get off the fence and keep walking and a little farther down they'll get on the fence again and get run off again.

The 500 will probably be a crashfest and finish under yellow with a GWC but the overall experience should be fun. Tonight's racing will be a good indicator.

I hope you have a great time at the 500!

I had fun yesterday :D

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

ewwww....who is the dude with the long hair?

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think that's David Spade.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Not a bad 1st race in the Duel and the 2nd race is about to start...........WOW cool satellite video.

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Crazy finish to the 2nd duel...two cars run out of fuel...inexcusable.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    What is so inexcusable about it? There are so many factors involved that some get it right and others don't, after all it is racing.

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #23 RP, Feb 20, 2014
    In NASCAR, situations changes so rapidly, sometimes hard to calculate. For a winning team like JJ's to run out of gas, just shows how hard this game is to play.

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My point exactly.

25. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My gut tells me it was more a miscalculation than a calculated risk...somebody or something screwed up...just a hunch...but I could be wrong...or not. :D