2014 24 Hours Spa Francorchamps, Blancpain GT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2014 24 Hours Spa Francorchamps, Blancpain GT

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thanks.

In which case now I know what they are. I don't think they're mandatory.

These are the seats inside a SLS GT3:

http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ShiftSLS-GT300-09.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ShiftSLS-GT300-10.jpg

2. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thanks for enlightening me :)
    Quite!

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The fireworks are quite cool

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    man, Eau Rouge is DARK at night.

old school.

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bet their sphincter tightens every time they go downhill towards it at night...

Scariest prospect if someone crashed just moments before it and has no working lights anymore.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing. Really dark. A lot of crashes in this years 24h of Spa. What's wrong??

7. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Ugh, this incident fills me will anger. I said it when his Monza video surfaced - this guy must not be allowed to race because he'll cause a serious accident with injury to other drivers. Unfortunately, this happened today. I hope for everything it's worth that the other driver involved is okay and will fully recover. This should serve as a serious wake up call that there needs to be tougher restrictions on the performance of gentleman drivers, no matter the size of their wallet. How the hell did he get an FIA license?

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree 100%

sanctioning bodies the world over need to stop issuing racing licenses just because the check clears. there must be driving standards at this level of racing.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    100% agree, and I too said the same when that video surfaced.

The video of his Monza actions alone should have been enough reason for the organizers to refuse him entrance into this race. IMO the drivers should have raised their voice, which I hope will happen in the future.

You need to be able to trust your fellow pilot, they have your life in their hands.

--

Interesting, now that more or less all the pros are racing, people are not falling over each other at every other corner.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Official info from race control is that the driver of the #111 Ferrari is "stable"

11. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Good news. My thoughts are with him for a speedy recovery.

Big shame the savage Russian ruined him and his team's race.

12. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I agree, but it's hard to find a fair, objective and effective solution. The only obvious solution I can think of from the top of my head is a 10x% qualifying pace rule. As well as that rookies should be placed on a probation period lasting from one to a couple of seasons. In this period the penalties against them weigh heavier so to speak, with less required to be disqualified or receive other personal sanctions.

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I hope so indeed. Not wanting to put a downer on things but Schumacher was also brought in as ''stable''. Stable is a nice word but in hospital terms it's quite an empty word.

-

The Russian should be banned from any FIA sanctioned event for life, IMO. Perhaps give him a copy of mario kart in return.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the problem isn't just speed, it's situational awareness and experience in traffic (so a 10x% rule alone won't help).

maybe it's minimum experience (a few seasons of Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche single make series, etc) plus some form of probationary period at higher levels.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Completely agree with this.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Tim Mullen, who had a huge shunt in his Mclaren earlier today has been released from Hospital. Good news. I thought was going to be worse.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But that's not entirely fair either. What if someone has the skills and the spatial awareness, but is stuck racing in series he doesn't want to race in? Obviously no one jumps into GT3 racing immediately, as to get to bronze status I think you need at least 6 races under your belt...

I think the organizers need to converse with organizers of other series the driver in question has raced in and see what their opinion is (in special cases of a driver with relatively little experience), before making an executive decision.

It'll be shame that because one or two drivers are complete idiots to then ruin it for everyone else who is capable to race without incident.

18. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Precisely.

The reason why I said I don't believe any purely performance-based form of measuring will serve as avsatisfactory solution. It's the understanding of the complete picture. You can be fast, but still be a bigger danger and risk to other drivers than the slowest in the grid...

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Peter Mann and his team are 4 laps ahead of the next Gentleman class, so WELL into the class lead!

20. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    fingers crossed for Peter :)

21. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I wish everything go well for him.

22. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Go go go! Peter is a great guy, hope his car takes this one home.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Rene Rast just took the lead...in the rain (?)

anything important happen overnight?

I see still no updates on Marcus Mahy.... :(

24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Been watching it live - great being able to switch between race, in car, live timing just at the top of the screen about 2 hrs left Audi-BMW-Audi Carol

25. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The R8 in 2nd has the no. 77 BMW in sight. 1:25 to go!

Hi Carol!