2014 24 Hours of Le Mans | Page 17 | FerrariChat

2014 24 Hours of Le Mans

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, May 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There are two reasons we'll likely never know what exactly happened.

First, it is not in Audi's interest to share any information if it was a catastrophic failure
    in the car. Since this was a one time event and not repeated three times, a-la the
    Mercedes-Benz CLK GTRs taking off in 1999, there likely won't be a public inquiry into the
    matter.

Second, the ACO won't release any of their findings as whenever a car clears a retaining wall
    and catch fencing, the bean counters with their insurance carriers look for ways to raise their
    premiums even if this is designated a non-spectating area.

As we know from the past, there are CCTV cameras in that area which captured the Courage/Porsche
    of Mario Andretti going off and the more recent incident where one of the Peugeots took off and
    flew there as well.

Let's just hope it doesn't happen again this year as nothing resonates with the bean counters
    than cars taking off and flying.

Dr. Ullrich's words may have to go down as the official record.

BHW

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you would think amateur footage would have made its way to YouTube by the end of that day.

I suspect Barton is correct, we'll probably never see the accident or know what really happened.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    We were lucky to have gotten the still images from the Autosport photographer as that
    area of the track is designated a non-spectator and non-photo area.

The best bet to get video of the shunt would be from that CCTV camera and its highly
    doubtful the ACO will release that.

BHW

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    On Saturday, Scuderia Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso waved off the field for the start of the race and his presence seems to have brought Ferrari some good luck. The number 51 458 Italia GT2 won the LMGTE Pro category in the Le Mans 24 Hours, so that the Italian national anthem was played again in France.

Italy’s Gimmi Bruni and Giancarlo Fisichella, along with the Finn Toni Vilander, driving for the Amato Ferrari-run AF Corse team, repeated their 2012 achievement, outclassing the opposition despite a few difficult moments.

This was Ferraris 24th class win, to go with nine outright victories. Having started from pole in the class, Bruni dominated the early hours, but then, in wet conditions when two downpours hit the Sarthe circuit, the car struggled and had to give best to Chevrolet and Porsche. The Ferrari men didn’t lose heart and once the track dried out, began an amazing climb up the order.

The Ferrari 458 beat off prestigious names such as Chevrolet, Aston Martin and Porsche, companies that are also rivals in the marketplace. The win owed a lot to the quality of the drivers but also to the exceptional reliability of the cars. The winning car had not the slightest problem. In second place, but almost two laps down, was the number 73 Chevrolet of Garcia-Magnussen-Taylor, with third, almost three laps down going to the Porsche of Holzer-Makowiecki-Lietz.

Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo was very pleased. “This is a very important victory in an amazing race,” he said. “This result is extremely satisfying and is a just reward for all the hard work from everyone in the team and my congratulations go to them. We dominated the race with a car that was able to outclass some very strong opponents and everyone at Ferrari can be very proud of that.” The Maranello marque and AF Corse also finished on the podium in the LMGTE Am class. In car 61, Italians Marco Cioci and Mirko Venturi and the Argentinian Luis Perez-Companc, finished third, behind the winning 95 Aston Martin of Danes Kristian Poulsen, Nicki Thiim and David Hansson and the 88 Porsche of Ried-Bachler-Al Qubaisi.

The overall win went to Audi, with victory going to the number 2 car of France’s Benoit Treluyer, Switzerland’s Marcel Fassler and Germany’s Andre Lotterer ahead of the number 1 car of Denmark’s Tom Kristensen, Brazil’s Lucas di Grassi and Spaniard and Scuderia Ferrari test driver Marc Gene.

GTE-Pro class
    1. Bruni/Vilander/Fisichella (I/SF/I), Ferrari 458 Italia, 339 laps
    2. Magnussen/Garcia/Taylor (DK/E/USA), Chevrolet Corvette, 338
    3. Holzer/Makowiecki/Lietz (D/F/A), Porsche 911 RSR, 337
    4. Gavin/Milner/Westbrook (GB/USA/GB), Chevrolet Corvette, 333
    5. Bleekemolen/MacNeil (NL/USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 319
    6. Turner/Mücke/Senna (GB/D/BRA), Aston Martin Vantage, 310
    7. Bergmeister/Pilet/Tandy (D/F/GB), Porsche 911 RSR, 309

GTE-Am class
    1. Poulsen/Heinemeier-Hansson/Thiim (DK/DK/DK), Aston Martin, 334 laps
    2. Ried/Bachler/Al Qubaisi (D/A/UAE), Porsche 911 RSR, 332
    3. Perez-Companc/Cioci/Venturi (RA/I/I), Ferrari 458 Italia, 331
    4. Montecalvo/Roda/Ruberti (I/I/I), Ferrari 458 Italia, 330
    5. Dempsey/Foster/Long (USA/USA/USA), Porsche 911 RSR, 329
    6. Dalla Lana/Lamy/Nygaard (CAN/P/DK), Aston Martin Vantage, 329

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    like this crash? :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdhsxZrfr50]INSANE Peugeot 908 flying crash at Le Mans - YouTube[/ame]

doubtful that we'll get this video from the Audi crash last week.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That be it.

And, that Peugeot was during the pre-race test at virtually the same spot
    on the track as Duval's shunt on Wednesday.

BHW

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's amazing that the two cars ended up in almost the identical spot.

Loic's car was much more heavily damaged because it got the "cheese grater" treatment from the chain link fence, vs. impact with the concrete barriers in the Peugeot.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Among the comments from the various broadcasts at Le Mans Saturday night was
    about how much darker Le Mans seemed this year, fewer TV lights set up and dark areas
    around the track.

They compared this to another (unnamed) 24 Hour race which they said was "Lit up
    like a supermarket" to the point where the cars barely need headlights.

What could they possibly be referring to?

BHW

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I gotta say, I was really bummed when they started lighting Daytona (I think they still only use ~50% of the available track lighting). but it's far from dark there, even at 2am.

10. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Racing at Daytona at night is a piece of cake compared to Sebring or [I think[ Lemans

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what years did you race there Jerome? before or after they started using the NASCAR lights?

I agree, the back side of Sebring is pitch black at night...the way it should be :)

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    When Sebring was in its original 5.2 mile configuration and they ran on the runways,
    they'd run in pitch black night.

Drivers I knew who raced in those days would count the bumps in the runways and they'd
    then know when to turn. If they'd lose count of the bumps for whatever reason, they
    could easily get lost out on the airport side and often did.

Now, they've got the place lit up like Christmas and from what I understand, the new
    tenants are adding more lighting in areas such as down the Ullman straight.

Not sure if it makes things any better or not but likely all for the TV cameras.

BHW

13. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I did the 24 Hour in 2008 and 2009 and the only visibility problem was when they shot the fireworks off at night from the infield lake. The wind blew the smoke across the back straight and it was totally blind driving with ZERO visibility for about two laps until the smoke cleared

14. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Geez that lack of visibility must have been an experience

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The WEC may be missing the boat when it comes to scheduling as the next race
    is at Austin September 20, over three months between events.

I'm no expert but that is a long time.

If the WEC is a true World Championship, doesn't that mean they're supposed to compete on
    every Continent? Why not race at Mount Panorama Bathurst or Phillip's Island in Australia or
    another European venue like Monza within three or four weeks after Le Mans?

BHW

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    too big of a gap for sure. I think that's part of the reason they're considering the "winter" season (ie 1st race is COTA in September, series goes through the winter and ends at LeMans in June). I don't think that will happen because typically racing budgets are set on a more normal Jan-Dec calendar, but we'll see.

IIRC the FIA changed the rules for a "world championship", I think it now includes at least 3 continents, but also must have races in "developing" countries, in their case Bahrain and China.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That's right, I forgot the bit about them considering a winter season. We'll see
    where that goes as that will definitely screw up Tom Kristensen's off-road endurance
    bicycle racing schedule.

Seems to me all they need to do is fill in some gaps in the season and extend it to
    10 or 12 races as this product needs to be in front of the public as much as possible.

There was some mention about the WEC racing at Montreal as well. Only three races on
    the Continent, they could easily do one at Monza or Hockenheimring. Then one in
    Australia. I play a racing sim and that Bathurst track is crazy, would be perfect for WEC.

Oh well, guess we'll pick up the WEC saga again in September. I'm going to make every
    effort to be out at Austin for sure.

BHW

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Race promoters need to want the races, before they can happen.

Add Brazil to the developing countries list.

20. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    True! That makes you wonder what's next!

21. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Crazy...

I saw the 24H Nürburgring live at night and it was crazy. A short periode it rained too, and all we could see from 20-30 meters distance were literally just headlamps and glowing red brake discs. The Le Mans and Nür' night drivers are heroes.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvN0EzEacU]Leh Keen's Rain Dance - 24 Hours Nürburgring - /DRIVER'S EYE - YouTube[/ame]

23. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Why are/were there no SLS AMG, Audi R8, or McLaren MP4-12s in the GT class?

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think you're confusing GTE and GT3 specs (easy mistake)....Mercedes, Audi and McLaren have not built GTE spec cars.

25. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    No, I know about the classes, but guess I am curious why there aren't GTE equivalents of those cars.

I mean, there's a GT3 and a GTE F458, but not the other cars.

Maybe a better question is, why aren't there SLS, R8, and MP4-12 GTE cars?