2013 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX ***SPOILERS*** | Page 32 | FerrariChat

2013 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by nsxrebel, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    My appologies for this "ONE" late but simple question. I was on the road, and did not watch the Malasian race, till now back at home.
    WHY IN THE WORLD ALONSO DID NOT ENTER THE PITS TO FIX THE WING AND CHANGE TIRES after the contact with Seb ???????????
    thanks.

2. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    No one seems to understand that except for the people who have argued that if it had worked they would have been judged 'brilliant'.

Thing is, it was never going to work.

>8^)
    ER

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Agreed. Ferrari were greedy and foolish and got no points from FA when he could have changed his wing and easily collected some.

I would like to add that as much as we are talking about a team error of not pitting FA that this is a driver error of him running into the back of another car damaging his own. Compounded errors here.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I agreed a couple of thousand posts ago :)

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    He and the team rolled the dice and came up snake eyes :(

Could have worked the other way and then they would have looked brilliant, but Cest La Vie

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    To me it looked like they picked the dice up from the table and threw them against the wall.

7. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Still came up snake eyes :(

I think they were hoping the CF holding the front wing on was strong enough to last a few more laps , they were just unlucky in the way it broke, most times the wing doesn't stop the car when it comes off, seen plenty of guys motor back to the pits with a wing stuck under the car or left out on the track.

Can't remember the last time this happened where a damaged front wing jammed under the car and lifted the front off the ground disabling the steering and brakes

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    782 posts (and counting) on the Malaysian GP, compared to 360 or so for the Australian GP.

Controversy sells!

9. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I watched the BBC coverage in replay yesterday. David Coulthard predicted the exact result within 30 seconds of Alonso's impact with the back of Seb's car. It was, as they say, a foregone conclusion.

Alonso was frankly very lucky to have made it as far as he did while still challenging the leaders and maintaining pace. The brilliant move would have been to pit, but even an idiot like me could have figured that out. ;)

>8^)
    ER

10. V12scream

V12scream Karting

Nov 28, 2005
    Gettysburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Henry
  11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Actually, I think coming up with double sixes, then an earthquake shaking the table so that the dice flip into the air and do a 180 so you get snake eyes - is the only way it would of turned up brilliant.

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I would have done what the team and FA did, stay out ...... I'll get my hat and coat now and sit in the dunce's corner :eek:

13. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
  14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What sticks in my mind is that if the wing breaks (and I expected it would) you're likely out of it completely and putting others at risk in the process.

If you pit and change the wing - sure it puts you in a bad spot right away, but you have a good car, a driver who is recognized as being great, and then 50+ laps where anything else could happen. One safety car incident would have put him back in the fight for points. With all the attrition we saw in the race he might have stood a good chance anyway.

>8^)
    ER

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I wish I could agree but today one of a coach's most important talents is dealing with and catering to Prima Dona's.

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    All true.

17. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I watched the start again until the wing came off. The gap from Vettel to FA was growing quite quickly. FA was holding others up since DRS was not enabled.

FA did not have the pace. He was a rolling roadblock. It wasnt 1 sec adrift of Vettel, it was becoming seconds behind at the start of lap 2. I watched it again so my wife could see the start. She immediately noted FA missing the pit lane at the end of lap 1.

It really doesnt take a genius does it LOL!

20. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Nando was behind 3.4 seconds after lap 1 at Sepang with a broken front wing and 2.5 seconds in Melb without a broken front wing

Hindsight is of course 20/20 vision. I guess the thought was that they knew for sure bringing Nando in immediately would mean he would have to come in twice in 3 or 4 laps.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

So after 3 laps probably 10+ seconds on the drying track so what pace was it he had??

The other comment: You dont need 20/20 hindsight on something so patently obvious. If my Frau can notice this - Hello Pitwall LOL! :)

22. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca