2013 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX ***SPOILERS*** | Page 30 | FerrariChat

2013 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by nsxrebel, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Okay you win. Rosberg is better than Senna.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Aka: don't blame me. Blame my boss.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, Fangio. :)

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Omg!!! Bingo!

Game set match.

5. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    ??? Alonso didn't even finish this last race.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    "Against our wills Papa!"
    "Against our wills!"

Gilbert&Sullivan
    Pirates of Penzance

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Button and Hamilton would have their scraps on track while at McLaren. They were always gentlemanly for the most part.

8. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    So conditions only changed for Rosberg but not Hamilton?

9. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I am amazed at the number of people here who do not respect team bosses. These guys have budgets that run into the hundreds of millions of dollars. They have a game plan, and that game plan is made BEFORE the race is run. It is done that way so that decisions are made in the cool consideration before the pressure is on.

This happens all the time in business. It also happens all the time in sport.

For example, Bill Walsh was a great football coach who was the first coach to 'script' the first 15 or 20 plays of a game. What he did was to pre-plan 15 to 20 plays so that he could see how the defense would react. This would give him a road map on the other coach's game plan.

I remember that Walsh once lined up in a unusual formation right before halftime of one game, I think it was against the Cowboys. He saw how the Cowboys reacted to a standard play.

Then in the next game against the Cowboys, in the first quarter he lined up in the same formation. And ran a standard play.

Later in the 4th quarter, he lined up in this formation -- only the 3rd time in 2 games using this formation. This time he ran a trick play for a touchdown. Walsh said he started setting up the play in the previous game.

Guys get paid to make these decisions, and they get paid to carry them out. It is a lot more complicated than this chat board.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You can't count racing incidents. Just counting starting positions, who did better in each race? It wasn't Massa.

If you think driving an entire race and moving backwards the entire time without incidents is good, Massa is your man.

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    All this is true. We are the stupid ones for thinking this is a sport and not a business.

Thanks for reminding us.

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    They changed for both ie. changing the way the game was played and every one of those commentators would agree it was all about who was crossing the line last. Massa beat Alonso, cats and dogs living together, cows playing chess, it was madness, both qualifying sessions so far.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It seems so! ;)

Nico was damn quick in sector 2 though! Didn't do anything over a full lap, but if you extrapolate his S2 times, remove the weather from the equation and ignore everyone elses times, he'd have been on pole! :D

Cheers,
    Ian

15. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    So if they changed for both drivers equally, why would that excuse Rosberg for being slower?

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    With respect, I think you're missing his point entirely here. All pro sport, be it the NFL, F1 or whatever has bosses - Be they CEO's, team principals or coaches. Ignore the bosses and your career is generally pretty short with said team.

Doesn't make any of them any less of a sport though. Unless you think only "amateurism" allows "sport"?

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    No, what I'm saying is it's silly to extrapolate any findings from the first two qualifying sessions as Massa beat Alonso both times and that's just madness. The conditions were too off to deduce anything meaningful.

With these sessions it was practically all about who crossed the line last.

let's pick up this discussion again in 10 races.

18. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL, indeed.

Border line, I nearly flat lined, Viz stop bringing up Maxxx or I'll send you my doctors bills..;)

19. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    We don't, I refer the gentleman to the comments I just made. :) But Nico is also a pretty talented lad. He was team mates with Lewis when they were kids and both were noticed at an early age, though I'd guess Nico's background didn't hurt. He then went up through the formulas winning the championship in most I think (definitely formula BMW and GP2, think he won in formula 3 as well). In his first ever F1 race he recorded the fastest lap, even though he was in a 'slow' car, and even though he lost his nose cone in the first lap he still caught right up with his team mate, an Ausi called Mark Webber. All history, I know, but the guy has some serious talent. Is he as fast as Lewis over one lap when they can actually go for it? Not so far this season, as I said before - time will tell.

20. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You could say that about the races at this stage as well.

21. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    I'm with you, Alonso is the better driver overall. My only point was that right now, Massa is ahead on points which is all that matters when it comes to winning championships.

22. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    If Hamilton isn't ahead of Rosberg in the points in 10 races, I will eat my hat.

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In major league American sports coaches have to defer to superstar players these days. The big name players bring in the revenue.
    Tough for a coach or manager only making a mil or two to command respect.

24. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

It is a sport. I was just suggesting that guys who run multimillion dollar sporting teams have a set of operating principles and guidelines to which we are not privy.

In the end, they want to win, and their game plan is designed to win.

I just think we should respect that. And I think Vettel is a plunker for going against his team.

25. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We have a lady F chatter called Isobel that really likes Nico, sure she could chip in with relevant facts but unfortunately of late she has been absent without leave..;)