2013 Flu Vaccine | FerrariChat

2013 Flu Vaccine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Piper, Oct 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's common knowledge that's we have to calculate, educated guess, each year which two or three strains of influenza the shot is going to protect against. Last year's was an out of the park success from what I heard. I'd like to hear from doctors how long we must wait to ser if this year's vaccine is well targeted. I assume we have to wait longer to see what strains are going to turn out to be the most prevalent this season?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

2. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Got the flu shot. Hope it turns out to have been worthwhile. I won't be the one who brings it home, hopefully.

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Did you get the tri-valent or the quadra-valent vaccine? AFAIK, not enough cases thus far to know how close this vaccine is to what will be circulating.

4. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Hijack Alert; I get the flue shot, cheap insurance. But last year was the first time I received and had heard of the pneumonia shot. You get it once below 65 yrs old, and one more time at 65. Thats it (Not annually). I was having chronic pneumonia, like twice a year, and sometimes for 6 months. Have not had it once since then. Anyway, just an FYI.

One more note; its no flu shot. it kicked my as$.

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    One point--it is for a specific type of pneumonia. There are many, many types of pneumonia and the shot only protects against the 23 stains of pneumococcus. So the shot helps (and I'll likely get it) but just want those without medical experience to know. My wife got it though, and it kicked her hind end--she was tired, had swollen joints, etc.

6. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I actually wasn't prepared to ask that, and would need to go back and ask my GP if you think it's something I should know. I did go into my doctor's office, not Walmart, if that gives any indication.

Trent, any idea why you're catching pneumonia so frequently? That's pretty disconcerting.

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    You got what you got. Our office (I'm a doc) was only able to get the trivalent for our staff. However, if I had a choice and wanted maximum protection, I would try to get the quadravalent. My wife (also a doc) says it is very hard to find.

8. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I assumed it was my reckless lifestyle, drinking, LV, kissing far too many random women (I prefer non-random women), LV, no... ....no, it all started about 26 seconds after my first born child started school, and has not stopped. Before the germ transport I had not been to a Dr in a decade, or at least 10 years.

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's LV?

I hear you on the germ factories. I had a cold every couple of years before my first entered nursery school. Been between four and eight a year since, and half of them are bad. I try to tell myself I'm getting the flu shot every year now to protect them, but the fact is I'm so tired at 46 of getting sick so much from my young kids that I can't bear the thought of catching a real flu.

What I was getting at is maybe you have mold or something. Getting frequent colds shouldn't lead to frequent pneumonia.

10. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Mold. Could be, but I have a new house, and moved from a fairly new house.

I am ship shape now with the p shot. Will let you know if it fails me.

LV = Las Vegas, city of sin and germs and random girls.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Have a couple of friends who just bought a model about a mile away from us, less than 10 anyway, black mold in every wall on the lower floor because the builder used the wrong windows with the wrong frames. Place was a disaster area for a couple of months while they ripped out the entire downstairs and replaced the windows. Sure that's not the case with your place but these things do happen. Anyway, ought to take a lot more than a cold to bring in pneumonia, and that often, something's afoot. Not even smoking should do that.

12. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Trent- I'd have your doctor check your immunoglobulins (IgA, IgM and IgG). If these are low you can get recurrent pneumonia.

13. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Thanks for the advice. My dr closed down, to bad. I dont trust doctors so much (yes I am one of those). But its a learned response. I have had many bad experiences, nearly sequential, two of which were nearly disastrous.

1. I almost ended up crippled because I went to an ENT for tinnutes (-sp) and the dr prescribed me antibiotics and steroids known to cause tendon failure when combined. On the check in sheet I put that I workout 6 days a week. He never mentioned that maybe i should not workout while on the medication. My thumb tendon was severely damaged, I read all I could and figured it out myself as my Achilles started hurting as well. I stopped the medication asap, but it took > month to heal, and had I lost either tendon, it would have been very bad for my lifestyle.

2. I had my tonsils removed, and instead of using the self cauterizing laser system, she decided to use a scalpel and some thread. The stitches came out while I was alone, in the garage, up under a car, and I nearly drowned in my own blood. Nice way to go. Sure I should not have been under a car, maybe this one is my fault.

Doctors have done much to keep me alive and without modern medicine I would have died several times over from pyloric stenosis, septicemia, some other coma when I was a kid, and umpteen times where antibiotics brought me back from a life challenging bacterial infection (lungs, blood, throat, sinus, whatever). So I am not hating, just cautious.

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I got my shot today, required for all employees to get it at work.

15. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Cochrane Collaboration: Flu Vaccines of No Benefit
    The negative finding of a comprehensive review of 50 published reports by the highly credible Cochrane Collaboration should discourage healthy people from getting a flu shot.
    "The results of this review seem to discourage the utilisation of vaccination against influenza in healthy adults as a routine public health measure.
    As healthy adults have a low risk of complications due to respiratory disease, the use of the vaccine may be only advised as an individual protection measure against symptoms in specific cases."
    Specifically,
    the EVIDENCE REFUTES the claims that the flu vaccine prevents the flu;
    the EVIDENCE REFUTES the claim that it prevents viral transmission in healthy adults;
    and
    the EVIDENCE REFUTES the claim that the vaccine prevents complications and "saves lives."
    The EVIDENCE shows little or no benefit for influenza vaccinations.

Alliance for Human Research Protection - Cochrane Collaboration: Flu Vaccines of No Benefit

The Cochrane Collaboration is an independent nonprofit organization consisting of a group of more than 31,000 volunteers in more than 120 countries.[3] The collaboration was formed to organize medical research information in a systematic way in the interests of evidence-based medicine
    Cochrane Collaboration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia