2013 458 spider | FerrariChat

2013 458 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by The extractor, Feb 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The extractor

The extractor Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Deerfield BeachFlorida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Joe
    I just bought a 2013 458 spider with 6400 miles on it. Love the car so far, but I have a few issues hopefully someone can answer my questions 1) while shifting gears, the car feels really jerky. No smooth shifts both upshifting and downshifting. Is this normal and does the car just have to get used to my driving style? I have also seen my gearbox warning light come on. When I turn the car off the light goes away upon a restart.
    2) during shifting, I hear a "blowoff" sound or a rubbing sound, is that a normal thing and can it be eliminted?

2. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    I have the same car, 2013 Spider. Sometimes I have jerky feeling when shifting from 1st to 2nd. But when I learned to flick the shift paddles quicker, that seemed to alleviate the problem. I don't have problems on any other gears.

3. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    The jerky feeling is alleviated by keeping your foot on the throttle during shifting and pulling the paddles faster imo.

4. The extractor

The extractor Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Deerfield BeachFlorida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Joe
    Thanx for the quick response. It happens between every gear. I even let the car warm up prior to putting car into gear. Joe bout the blowoff sound?

5. Soundcheck

Soundcheck Karting

Oct 10, 2015
    River City
    #5 Soundcheck, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    I too recently purchased a 2013 458 Spider and haven't observed this anomaly. Most concerning is the gearbox warning light. This warning light has never appeared for me nor any other warning light. Shifting should be smooth regardless of which gear or operating in auto or manual. Even if you're accelerating aggressively, you'll know if the transmission is working properly. Sorry to hear of this condition but I recommend taking the car to a qualified service provider. This doesn't sound normal.

6. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Can you record the blowoff sound? Not sure I know what you mean.

7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    there is a "chirp" sound under hard acceleration shifting which sounds like a rubber belt whine for a half second. i heard this was normal on my 2013 spider. there should not be a blowoff sound like turbo gas release as it isn't a turbo

8. otis

otis Karting

Mar 5, 2011
    Mpls
    Mine does the same when it's cold. Was told it's the accessory belt slipping. They changed mine only helped a little.

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Joe , congrats on the new rig . Post pics. Fwiw mine is a 2012 a little jerky between first and second but no gearbox lights or blowoff sounds. Check with your dealer bro.