»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> !! 2011 Korean Grand Prix -Race- *-*-*SPOILERS*-*-* !! <-(¯`·.·´¯)-« | Page 15 | FerrariChat

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> !! 2011 Korean Grand Prix -Race- *-*-*SPOILERS*-*-* !! <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, Oct 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If IIRC Mclaren had not done any heavy fuel testing.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    No doubt; Michael was at the pointy end with nobody to overtake. Brundle was tpyically mired in the middle somewhere so had plenty of opportunities...... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's quite feasible as the wet practice sessions messed up everyone's timetables for getting their set ups fully sorted out.

It still seems a bit strange for a team like McLaren to get caught out like this and to lose so much down force though (having said that, Ferrari have been caught out plenty of times during an F1 weekend over the years so perhaps it isn't so strange after all!).

If what McLaren are saying about the lack of down force is correct, it makes Hamilton's 2nd place even more impressive as the car must have been a nightmare to drive and incredibly frustrating.

That is a bit hard to argue against! :D

David Coulthard also mentioned that when any reaction tests were carried out on the drivers, Schumacher was always found to be no more exceptional in his reactions to any other, average person.
    (which struck me as a bit strange because while watching some of his on-board footage over the years, his reactions seemed pretty damned fast when the car was about to let go and spin. Perhaps they needed to test his ability to react to what his a*se was telling him!)

4. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town

via
    http://www.f1pulse.com/news/2011101882/debris-lodged-in-car-affected-hamiltons-korean-gp

5. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    FYI, Petrov will get a 5 grid penalty for hitting Michael.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As I previously posted, it makes Hamilton's performance all the more impressive!.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You must have Foxtel, cause it was most definitely not live on free to air TV, and they rarely are.

Pete

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Stop upsetting rugby fans..;)

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heck even the far more important rugby games were not shown live in Australia, unless Australia was playing. Even some of the quarter finals!!!!!

Some times Australia feels like it is still stuck in the dark ages, but saying that there is a heck of a lot more motorsport on free to air TV over here than ever was in NZ ...
    Pete

10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Indeed. To grab second place while a) under attack from Webber for 20+ laps, b) in a car understeering horribly and c) with a busted-up heart is incredible.

Kudos to Lewis...way to bounce back under adverse conditions.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #361 TifosiUSA, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So there goes the theory that Webbers' starts where sabotaged by his own team (which where ridiculous anyhow).
    +1. Credit where credit is due!

And now I don't understand why Webber couldn't have overtaken a massively understeering, tire eating Mclaren in what is still the fastest car in race trim (As by Vettel's performance....an easy 10sec lead, then SC and then winning by 12s, setting the fastest lap on the last lap because he can). Button and Alonso caught up unusually quickly to Hamilton.

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Pete....geez man...f1 isn't on foxtel. it's on ONE HD....live...and so is qual. FREE TO AIR!!

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah well for one recent race my stupid TV would not find ONE HD, so I missed that one and for this one Korean (since I have sorted out the TV) I'm pretty sure it was not on until the evening because I looked at the digital TV guide and it was the next program at like 10 something PM and I simply could not be bothered. They say 10 something PM but then the actual race is not until 11pm and F1 is not that interesting anymore ...

So maybe that was a replay, or maybe I had drunk too much and was seeing things :D
    Pete

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why does that prove that? For the first time Webber actually moved when the lights went out.
    The team are pacifying LH and his fans.

Massive understeering my @rse. A little bit of rubber stuck on the front wing should not cause the car to be a pig, otherwise it would have been a pig at the end of every race because rubber gets left on all tracks and all test session tracks.

If you were Webber would you have risked crashing out to make one now pointless spot?
    Pete

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Pete...mate...pal...I'm telling you....LIVE qualy and race on ONE HD. OK?

If drink is the problem...stop! If antiquated equipment is the problem, upgrade!

lol

17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Pete, maybe the same mysterious group conspiring to sabotage Webber's car is sabotaging your TV reception.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've actually learned recently that installing a dish will go a long way to solve my reception issues. Where I live we simpy cannot get all channels with a normal aerial.

So a dish will be installed, but kitchen, bathroom, internal repaint and garage extension will come first.
    Pete

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :). No we've always had this problem. I've actually rang some stations and when I told them where I lived they said, sorry nothing we can do about that ... :(.

Pete

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Time to move!

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So in essence you are saying that both Martin Brundle and David Coulthard can't tell when a car is understeering and that you know better than they do? (Good luck with that!), because they both noted on the BBC's coverage that Hamilton's car (and Button's), was understeering badly.

"Should not" is not "cannot" though is it?.

Also, how do you know that the McLaren isn't a pig to drive at the end of every race where there is high tyre degradation takes place?. They may well suffer at every track and that Korea was more extreme than usual.

I can't see McLaren wanting to lie about the issue and take the blame bullet for their drivers (in fact as I know McLaren, they're much more likely to try and blame the drivers where possible!).

When Pirelli do tyre testing, how many cars are on track though and how much tyre debris is generated?.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Fair points.

Again I don't believe the rubber debris in the front wing caused the so called "massive" understeer ... if so, like I said, this would happen at nearly every track and IMO needs a re-design so that the car actually works in real life racing conditions not just simulators. And if also a pig at the end of each race ... somebody again needs to get off the simulator and make a design that works. Poor drivers.

I also don't agree that McLaren have a history of blaming drivers, but again just my opinion.
    Pete