»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> !! 2011 Korean Grand Prix -Race- *-*-*SPOILERS*-*-* !! <-(¯`·.·´¯)-« | Page 14 | FerrariChat

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> !! 2011 Korean Grand Prix -Race- *-*-*SPOILERS*-*-* !! <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, Oct 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Very true. Perhaps JB can lend him some of his cast offs... That's the sign of a true team leader.

2. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If all this is true Lewis just doesn't realize how lucky he is at the moment. Nicole while very talented is not all that hot without being made up or photoshopped to within an inch of her life. She's also going to be someones very expensive ex wife and baby momma.

Lewis you are a young, rich, F1 driver with most of your hair still on your head. There is no need for you to date anyone over the age of 24.

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1...it's like Tony Parker (NBA) and Eva Longoria or Kutcher and Dummi Moore. Why start with someone who is that much older than you???

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    That was Ice T, not Ice Cube. Ice Cube would have been fine.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ever watched "Indecent proposal"?

6. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    My apologies, you are correct

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So (again) did Mark Webber stuff up the start again please?

Pete

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No. he had a good start. was p4 on the grid and passed button for p3 at the start.

9. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    No! SPEED stated that this was his first start in 13 GPs that actually saw him gain position (1).

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No TV in NZ?

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
  12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sydney ... can't be bothered staying up to watch it. I even missed a recent race because the stupid TV would not find the channel. My mum was visiting from NZ and wanted to watch it :).

So now that the championship is decided he is suddenly doing good starts again. Very interesting and somewhat fishy from where I sit ...

Thanks
    Pete

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    ???

You have to stay up in Sidney????

The race is a late afternoon race in Korea. Doesn't that make it just an evening race in Australia?

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Only rarely are races actually shown live in Australia. Usually at 11pm ...

Pete

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    absolutely it was live...and they're ALWAYS live. Korea was at 1700 local Melbourne/Sydney time

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It was more the fact that Button went completely backwards at the start, he ended up about 7th or something after the first corner.

If we are to believe Withmarsh, and Hamilton really did lose 10 pts of downforce (sounds like a lot...), Webber should have gotten passed him on any of the twisty bits. Or Withmarsh said it to make Lewis feel good ;) (I must say I find it quite weird that no one of all the people in the Mclaren pits saw a piece of alleged debris stuck in the front wing, nor the TV people couldn't pick it up....).

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    ...and it supposedly happened to both drivers? Yeaa...sounds a little fishy to me.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Really? Hamilton AND Button?

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    How was Webber going to get past Hamilton on the twisty bits when the track immediately to each side of a cars width was coated in a dangerous layer of tyre debris?. There was one clean line that was safe and Hamilton skillfully made sure he stuck to it.

During the BBC's post race coverage Martin Whitmarsh said that at first they thought Hamilton might have had a piece of debris stuck in the front wing but they couldn't see anything looking on track and there was nothing there when Hamilton pitted.

During the race Hamilton kept asking if the team had given him all the front down force they could as he was suffering severe understeer and the team told him that he had everything they could give him (he'd also adjusted everything on the car that he could to dial it out but there was no joy).

Jenson Button also said that his car was suffering from severe understeer which he could do nothing about and Martin Brundle and David Coulthard on the BBC both noted during the race that the cars were under steering quite badly.

It wasn't the supposed debris that happened to both Hamilton and Button, it was the mysterious loss of front down force from the front wing which Mclaren can't explain.

21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I'd forgotten about this...it was VERY interesting that he got off to a good start for a change. I've been saying I can't understand how an F1 vet who wasn't known for bad starts (admittedly, he didn't have the car to bring this into focus in the past) suddenly is the worst starter on the grid since late last season.

Now I understand better...

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fair enough, but if it wasn't debris, and since the car wasn't changed since parc Ferme (when the car wasn't understeering in quali)...how can it possibly understeer so bad? The only reasonable explanation is fuel, which of course went down as the laps went on...and then the tires must have eaten themselves towards the end? That doesn't sound like such a mystery to me...

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Once again; he didn't lose places (he hasn't done in a few other GPs) at the start, he gained a place because Button's start was so horrendous.

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    This is what is baffling McLaren as they have never encountered this phenomenon before.

They have hundreds of sensors all over the car which measures just about everything you can imagine and all the data they have says that the down-force just disappeared from the front wings.

If it was just the tyres wearing out that was causing the understeer then they wouldn't have been registering the loss of down-force as they were.

Throughout the wet and dry practice sessions, and the qualifying sessions the front wings were working well and as expected, then come the race it was as though the wing "switched off".

(My monies on Bernie fixing the races again by sabotaging the McLaren's front wings overnight! :p )

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I've just watched a replay of Buttons start on the BBC i-player and his actual start off the line was fine.

He exited turns 1 and 2 in third place behind Hamilton and Vettel (who'd been expected to get a poor start from the "dirty" left hand side of the grid but didn't), and ahead of Webber (who got a little bit of wheel spin off the line but controlled it immediately).

Button stayed in third along the 1.2Km straight and as he approached turn 3, Vettel and Hamilton ahead were side by side. He moved over to the right hand side of the track under braking and Massa came up the inside of him and got past. Webber followed Massa and came out of turn 3 alongside Button.

Heading for the next turn, Button out dragged Webber, closing in on Massa, swept out to the right from behind Massa so that he was now directly in front of Webber and braked late for the left hander-turn 4, at which point he was slightly ahead of Massa, but he out braked himself and ran wide which let Massa get past once more. Webber then took a superb opportune moment to get past Button and come alongside Massa as they entered the right hander-turn 5.

At turn 5, Massa and Webber were side by side as they exited the turn, followed by Button, but as they approached the left hander-turn 6 , Webber got ahead of Massa, followed by Button, and as Button started to to turn left, Alonso snuck up his inside to demote Button down another place.

On the flip side to all this, Martin Brundle has noted that statistically, the best starter on the grid this year who has gained the most places is a certain M.Schumacher! (and this does not include his starting from the back of the grid in Spa).

Both he and David Coulthard found this surprising as he was never noted for being a good starter in his earlier career. Brundle (who admitted that he himself was never an exceptional starter), said that when they were team mates, Schumacher never once out did him when it came to starts.