2011 FERRARI CALIFORNIA 7DCT750 TRANS TEARDOWN. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2011 FERRARI CALIFORNIA 7DCT750 TRANS TEARDOWN.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kingwrench, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    So your notes indicated that you found a failed shift shaft sensor but the sensor you replaced is the output shaft speed sensor. great job I was just confirming the diagnosis. Shift shaft sensor is very difficult to obtain the speed sensors, solenoids and pressure sensors are very easy along with the seals and clutch pistons.

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

There is an absolute ton of dealer information on these boxes and with a couple of exceptions parts are readily available, we rebuild them all the time.

3. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    And the keyword is "DEALER"

4. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    For my lack of nomenclature, due to the lack of any service information avail to me on the gerabox, I used the wrong part description. I got my hand on one of the last two level 3 repair kits.

windsock likes this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The OP has an 8 year old box now. I would hope FNA can fix them now. I could very well be wrong but I'm pretty sure at the beginning of these DCT's FNA was not fixing but replacing.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think the competence of each Ferrari dealership service dept varies. In my experience, wherever Windsock is at, the level of technical knowledge, skill and service is held to a very high standard. I could totally see where some dealerships don't have the skill to deal with taking apart a DCT and rather handle on an exchange basis with FNA or farm it out.

brian.s and kingwrench like this.
  7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

No different then any other manufacturer.

8. CARL WATKINS

CARL WATKINS Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    CALIFORNIA TOY
    i purchased a 2010 dct for my 2011 California, i need to change the rear diff cover to mount the cooler. iT DOESNT WANT TO BUDGE AND i DONT WANT TO DAMAGE ANYTHING

9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    In order to remove the rear cover, you must punch a hole in the rear seal (which cannot purchase separately from a repair kit) 2mm above the alignment notch on the seal and use a screwdriver to pry it out. Remove the snap-ring on the shaft. Then use the factory puller (or fabricate you own puller) to pull the rear cover/bearing off of the shaft.
    To reinstall the cover, clean the sealing surfaces and apply only Loctite 5970 sealant to the mating surface. Use the two factory alignment pins to locate the cover and drive the bearing over the shaft using the factory bearing drift. Reinstall the snap-ring and install a new rear seal in the same orientation as the original seal.

Also you will need to obtain the marriage file containing all of the software for the particular serial number transmission that you purchased and download it into to gearbox ECU in your car.

brian.s and Qavion like this.
  10. CARL WATKINS

CARL WATKINS Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    CALIFORNIA TOY
  11. HCF-John

HCF-John Rookie

Jan 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    John B
    Lance,
    I’m glad you were able to get it fixed! We did wind up getting the sample 7DCT750 we spoke about.

There are couple non-dealers with the diagnostic equipment and manuals to repair these - they just won’t share it with a 3rd party who wants to repair themselves. Always happy to refer owners to a rebuilder, if one is needed.
    Best,
    John

Attached Files:

12. CARL WATKINS

CARL WATKINS Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    CALIFORNIA TOY
    Nicely done fid your key fobs start working again? Also how did you acess to top off the fluid while the engine is running. I can only see the fill plug at the top. I recently changed my trans in my 2011 cali . I filled the trans from the cooler line base on the statesd capacity specs. My car drives fine but the key fob still doesn't work. Do I need to her them reprogrammed? Thanks Carl

13. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    How much did that cost.... scream.... at this point, you'd have to take a gt3....

14. CARL WATKINS

CARL WATKINS Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    CALIFORNIA TOY
    The Ferrari Dealer told me they would rebuild my unit for 14k with a 2 year unlimited warranty , after 2 weeks they called me and told me they could not get the sensors needed and wanted me to purchase a new unit for 35k.. I found a used unit with low mileage and installed it for 11K . Car runs fine , just need to get my key fob working.

15. CARL WATKINS

CARL WATKINS Rookie

Aug 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    CALIFORNIA TOY
    I still might take on the repair of my stock unit when I have time.

16. Horse-whisperer

Jul 2, 2021
    @kingwrench, this is a fantastic write up and enough info to get all pumped up to tear down my Getrag. I was looking for some pictures on how the transmission looked like from above and I came to this post of yours. First off I have left from being a mechanic for almost 13 years now, but I guess the curse of being a mechanic will haunt you till you die because it’s built into you to be able to want to fix anything out there and fixing it right. Recently my brother and I bought a Ferrari from an auction with the key stuck in ignition and knowing about automobile we thought what could be worse and bid on the Ferrari eventually owning it. The Beaty came in and to my surprise it looked like someone raped it. Everything inside was never taken care, smells like cheap perfume it’s a no crank no start. Getting our thoughts together I decided to work on int one step at a time and firstly we got the key out by pushing on the release button near the lock cylinder. Next we bought a battery and installed it in as the battery in it was not charging and didn’t put out anything more than 1.8v. Once the new battery was installed we cleared all the codes and then it started. There was a light on dash that said gearbox not in park and the shift buttons did nothing when pushed. Having researched enough I came to know that there is a lever in the trunk that will fix this problem by turning it. The next thing was the trunk cannot be opened. Using a scan tool we manage to open it and looks like the tool for turning the lever has been lost and someone previously made a notch on a hex key to make it work. Being excited I turned it one way and the letter N in the dash did not change to P either direction. Not knowing how many degrees the turn is allowed I decided not to mess with it and wanted to see where the lever is connected and from your post looks like it is directly into the transmission. So knowing that you have been in the case I just wanted to find out if I am in the relight direction of tearing into the transmission just to fix that issue and others if there is a bench test method that can be done to diagnose it while it’s off the vehicle or am I missing some secret sensors that can be bypassed in order to try shifting the transmission to fully diagnose what else is wrong before getting in it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    We do the challenge boxes all the time, that rear cover is no fun, plenty of heat helps