2011 FERRARI CALIFORNIA 7DCT750 TRANS TEARDOWN. | FerrariChat

2011 FERRARI CALIFORNIA 7DCT750 TRANS TEARDOWN.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kingwrench, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    My shop Hedrick Motiv Werks in Osage Beach Missouri, Services and Takes care the Exotic/ euro cars in our lake area. I do a lot of work for a local Dealer, and this is where this story begins.

A 2011 California arrives at my shop, Engine malfunction, Trans failure, top inop, Key fobs inop, and the list goes on, But this story is about the Transmission failure.

I am barely able to road test the car from the engine related issues, so off I go. First, I noticed the lack of several gears 2-4-6. I have 1-3-5-7. and reverse. Yes, all data shows we have an internal transmission problem. Back to the shop.

Now I start the research and parts list. Can I say I hit a brick wall! I contact several of my sources within the Italian auto industry for a Parts list, Service manual, Service Bulletins, Special Tools, etc. I found one of my friends that owns a Ford dealership was able to print me out the Diagnostic flow chart and one external part identification diagram, the New Ford GT Uses the same Getrag 7dct750 trans. I called one Exotic shop I knew would chat with me, He does not get into them! Called the Ford GT Performance guys "we know nothing"

The typical internet findings are slim to none, few random pics, A video of a couple guys attempting to remove the pinion nut.

So I figure it out by deductive reasoning and a wild ass guess, I got that in the Marines! The internal Shift shaft sensor had partially failed. Now to locate parts. I track down the part number of the level 3 service kit for the trans, this will have all the parts to Replace the sensor and update the transmission. A Ferrari Dealer in St Louis was called, They Laughed and told us your not worthy, So ADDIO to them. A Dealer in Dallas was called, parts guy says, sure we have it, I'll ship it Tomorrow, Tomorrow comes and Dallas Parts guys explains how upper management Had a meltdown no parts for us. I purchase a lot of parts form Scuderia, they were called have two in stock, will ship to you we had it in a week. Thanks to the guys at SCUDERIA Parts for the great service.

So now all I have to do get the trans and subframe out. Subframe and trans come's out the bottom, fairly straight forward removal process. Only fluids lost were coolant and I capped the pipes to prevent excessive coolant leakage. Once out I steamed cleaned the works. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
  3. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Trans tear down is fairly straight forward, other than feeling like the first man on the moon, I took it slow and careful. First removed the front input shaft case, dual disc clutch basket set it aside. Then attempted the rear cover, This cover would not budge! and mind you I have rebuilt lots of Porsche, vw, and airplane engines so I never pry cases apart!! Here is where tool Number 1 was designed and fabricated. I designed the tool case puller, drawing a pattern putting it into my computer and vectorize it, then I cut a 3mm thick wood template out on my laser cutter for test fit and alignment. The last step is to plasma cut the tool out using the templates, weld it up and give it a go.

The case puller tool worked as designed and the rear case cover was removed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

4. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Horse-whisperer likes this.
  5. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
  6. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Once the shift actuator valve body is removed from the back side of the case, the remaining bolts and hardware can be removed to access the sensor.

The defective sensor shown circled. I tested the wiring in the transmission, cleaned everything up and started replacing the defective sensor and reassembling the transmission. It went together very smooth No OHHH Crap moments. had that little questionable thought in my brain IS IT FIXED, usually when you repair something and don't see any obvious broken parts.

Installed the transmission in the car, topped off all the fluids, Tranny needs to be topped off running and normal operating temps. Start the car ,Top off to required levels.

Go to put it in gear and WHAT nothing, Oh wait the hood is open, Duh. Get that sorted and she shifts like a dream.

7DCT750 transmissions have the outward appearance of being very complicated, Being inside one they are complicated but not so that they cant be repaired.

This all got started when the dealer priced a transmission from Ferrari, Ouch, Transmission on E bay 14K and up may get a good one who knows? I had a few sleepless nights thinking of what I needed to do next, But It turned out to be a very rewarding Job

Lance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I would like to see your custom tools. Got any action shots of those?

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Very cool post, that you for sharing! So how many hours just on the transmission? What is still left to sort on this car?

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Transmissions terrify me. Much respect to you Lance!

10. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Sorry I told my self after I had the trans together, "Wished I was more Organized Picture wise" I can take pics of the tools I made and post them.
    Lance

11. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Thanks, Pretty much nuts and bolts, and round spinny things LOL

f355spider likes this.
  12. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    355, I have around 30hrs or so in the trans, Still, need to diagnose the remaining engine issue.

13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, please do!

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Love it!

Keep the pics coming!

15. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Cool thread. Keep posting. Thanks

16. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have had the classes for trans rebuild on those. There are a number of special tools to get it apart and back together. Good job on working your way through that one. As an independent I have not worked on those. Haven't invested the time in finding parts, so I didn't even try to make the tools. Maybe it is time to start looking again.

Horse-whisperer and 2NA like this.
  17. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Do you still have the service manual from the school, we could put together a nice instruction guide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

18. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
  19. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
  20. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Great! Appreciate it.

21. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Kudos sir!

Plenty of those cars in this neck of the woods, you may get yourself to be the 'go-to' guy on rebuilding these. I have no interest any longer, heck now I farm out my GT3 trans.

kingwrench likes this.
  22. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Kudos to you sir!

A lot of those things in my area, you may become the 'go-to' for rebuilding a trans! Heck I have stopped doing inhouse stuff like that here now, too old.

Nice looking shop too.

kingwrench likes this.
  23. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Thanks Brian!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Lance,

Your experience mirrors mine back in the day when 348’s were the new car. Ferrari laughed at me too. I wasn’t worthy of more than 1 sentence from them. The answer to why their gearboxes broke was met with “go away”. Later my diagnosis became sop for prevention of box destruction. Luca branded the 348 as the worst Ferrari ever because Ferrari could never fixed them, we did in the aftermarket.

There was no way I was paying 15k for a new box. I fixed it from the parts diagram making my own tools and later raced that box.

Those FNA guys were having a meltdown because they replace boxes and cannot fix them. You fixing the box screws them up. You proved it can be done. Good job!

The biggest problem with Ferrari dct is lack of non-dealer documentation. You might be the can opener!

25. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Thank you, sir! It's in our DNA to fix stuff. And someone telling us NO just fuels the fire. I know I am not the first independent shop to crack into one of these, And yes it aggravating to have zero documentation form the Manufacturer. But I am pleased to say that most of the shops I have talked to have been very helpful in sharing their knowledge. And This Forum is a great platform to obtain repair information for the do it your selfer's. What I have found with my customers is that some just drop the car off and "call me when it's done" others are can I watch or can I help, My response is, sure come on out to the shop. And the lone wolf's, "can you give me some guidance, I want to attempt to do the job myself at home". These guys I really admire, they are not being cheap they have all the money in the world. They have a love for their machine and want to get to know more about what makes it tick. Why do people forget, it's our Duty to help others and pass on our knowledge to others. Lance