2010 Indy 500 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

2010 Indy 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by SMS, May 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    AJ is probably a toothless old fart by now!

2. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I bet the Fchat Fifty that he could still whoop your butt :)

his team hasn't done much since Brack left in what, 1999? doing it "my way" worked for Sinatra, not so much for Foyt.

4. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    He'd have to catch me first and like you said, he can't seem to catch anyone! ;):)

5. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    #130 ZUL8TR, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    When she's in her driver's suit, she is very different than when in street clothes. All business and focus, which unfortunately translates to being unfriendly at times. During the awards party, she said they were on fumes at the finish line.

As much as I would like for quals to be broadcast on a major network, its not feasible from a $$$ standpoint. I'm just happy that its carried somewhere. Versus does deserve props for their race coverage. Too bad its not available via all cable providers and included in the basic package so all viewers could access.

I hope this PBR guy doesn't try to imitate NASCAR. I'm personally sending in my comments and thoughts to tell them that's a bad idea. IF they hear from enough folks, maybe we can stop that from occuring. We bumper stickers: SAVE USA OPEN WHEEL RACING!

There is little to no buzz at the Speedway about Ashley Judd. Maybe if she's sited, but its very rare to hear any conversation and if so, its brief. More talk about Dario.

Hearsay says AJ is a tightwad and not willing to put the $$$ in necessary to win. I don't know if that is true or not. Also, he's not the easiest man to work for. Somehow he and Vitor apparently get along.

Multiple sources have said it was very vocal and heard stalls away.

He drives a mean golf cart and would chase you down with that. AJ doesn't forget, so it might not be at that race, but he'd be watching and waiting. LOL!

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #131 2NA, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Indianapolis 500 – Conway Wreck 5-30-10

May 31, 2010 by Scott Richardson

A very long, hot somewhat routine day of shooting the Indianapolis 500 turned ugly very quickly. After a 198 laps of the constant repetition of cars going by, the unthinkable happened instantly right in front of my eyes. I still don’t know what caused me to react and start shooting the car flying by in front of my eyes; somehow I managed to quickly compose and then follow the action as Mike Conway’s #24 car disintegrated right before me. Once the accident was over, my first thoughts were of the driver; I thought there was absolutely no way that he had survived the wreck. I was both hyper and a bit sick to my stomach for the first hour or so after the accident. Needless to say, I, as everyone else, was greatly relieved to hear that he did not suffer life-threatening injuries.

A few hours after the accident I walked back to gasoline alley and into Conway’s garage area. I came across one extremely shell-shocked crew member standing dejectedly over what was left of the car, all in pieces and piled into boxes and 5 gallon buckets. It was he who informed me that Conway had suffered only a broken leg (..it was later disclosed that he also had a compression fracture in his back). I was greatly relieved, but will always remember the look on the crew members face in the garage.

Getting the sequence of shots was a combination of luck and skill. Even as I drove into the track that morning, I had not decided from which turn I was going to shoot. My choices were either at the south short chute between turns 1 and 2 or up in turn 3. As fate would have it, I decided to stay up in turn 3 since that was where I was parked and also the lower fence would make shooting much easier on my back than having to stoop down to shoot through the protective fence in the photographers area at the south chute.

The day had become very monotonous as the cars droned by lap after lap with the only excitement coming occasionally when there would be a pass coming out of turn 3. Around lap 175 I vowed to myself that I would be extremely alert and ready should anything happen. There was to be no chimping, no looking at the crowd, no eating, no drinking , etc., etc….just watching the cars come off of turn 3 and keeping the camera up to my eye. Then the unthinkable occurred:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Whoa...impressive pics. Horrific crash. I had the same pit of the stomach feeling while watching it live and just not knowing if everyone would be OK.

Look at the fans. Its obvious that some had no idea what was unfolding in front of them.

Two fans were injured, treated and released from the infield med center. One had stiches to the forehead, the other just scratches. Back in 1987, Bentonhousing had a wheel kill a fan in that same area.

8. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010
    Wow! Those shots are unbelievable. Thanks for sharing.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ya'll are being harsh on A.J....he's not that way at all.....

I don't think it's "all about the money" although they have never had it in buckets, like Penske does.....

I'm just sorry it came to such hard feelings, that's a real danger when you combine business with family.....but again Foyt Enterprises IS the Foyt family......Larry has been Team Manager for some time..

I think some additional sponsorship (ABC Supply's founder and CEO was tragically killed on a construction project, ironically) and getting back to three eligible chassis would go a long way.....

I think Royal Purple and Polydyne Coatings might do it.......

10. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Are you actually saying AJ > Chuck Norris? Really?

11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Wow! He owes his life to that tub, HANS, his helmet and everything else the engineers involved designed to give drivers a decent chance at survival. A salute is in order, that is one life saved due to their collective achievements.

12. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Race tidbit for you NY Jets Fans...

Rex Ryan, headcoach for the Jets, was sitting immediately in front of me in Turn 3. My knees were in his back.

My better-half got along with him and the other guys in his group. She did tell him to stay away from our Colts players while he was in town. They responded they are only interested in Peyton. Anywho...the guys were friendly.

13. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Don't be stupid. Chuck Norris doesn't need a golf cart and if he really wanted too, he'd just look at you and you would die while sobbing like a dejected school girl. Seriously, you almost lost your man card with that last post.

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I think Bettenhausen's was in also in turn three, at the end of the backstraight.

15. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    A memoriable Foyt moment is when Kevin Cogan crashed in the first few laps of a 500 taking out Foyt in the process. A.J. was running up and down pit road shouting COOOGIN Damit COOGIN!!!!! He likely would have actually killed him with his bare hands had he been close right then.