2010 Indy 500 | FerrariChat

2010 Indy 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by SMS, May 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Practice was rained out today (Monday, May 17), but here is Sunday's report following the first weekend of on track activity.

Seven rookies passed muster and another half-dozen breezed through their refresher programs. Soon afterward – on a cloudy and cool afternoon – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway came to life with 33 drivers getting the green flag to seek the speed necessary to pocket the $175,000 pole prize and the consistency to attain a bigger payday May 30.

Day 2 of practice for the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, May 16 was interrupted a few times for moisture on the mammoth racing surface, but it didn’t drench lap speeds. For the second day in a row, Helio Castroneves paced the field with a lap of 227.046 mph (39.6395 seconds), and six topped 225 mph.

“Despite the weather, with it raining off and on, we were still able to work on some areas to make the car better for the race,” Castroneves said. “It's always good to be out there learning something. On the fast lap, I just put myself in a good position to get a good draft and we wound up with a faster lap than yesterday (226.603 mph)."

Practice for all entrants continues Monday, May 17 (noon-6 p.m. ET) in preparation for new two-stage Pole Day qualifications Saturday, May 22.

The seven drivers completed the four-phase Rookie Orientation Program, which consists 10 laps each of 200-205 mph, 205-210 mph, 210-215 mph, 215+ mph and is mandatory in order to be eligible to compete in the Indianapolis 500. They then joined in the all-drivers' session for the remaining three hours.

Overall, 1,375 laps were recorded with a lone incident in which Dan Wheldon’s No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing car made contact with the retaining wall in Turn 4. He was sixth quick (224.583 mph) at the time of the incident.

“It’s obviously not the way you want to start the second day at Indianapolis,” said Wheldon, who bruised his right foot in the incident. “I think the team is very well prepared for this month, and everyone could see the National Guard Panther Racing car’s pretty quick.”

So are a number of others. Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Scott Dixon (226.202) and Dario Franchitti (226.044) followed Castroneves, who is seeking a record-tying fourth 500 Mile Race victory. Will Power, the IZOD IndyCar Series points leader driving the No. 12 Verizon team Penske entry, emerged with a best lap of 225.600 mph, and Tony Kanaan was fifth at 225.524 mph in the No. 11 Team 7-Eleven car for Andretti Autosport.

“The weather could be much different next weekend so we’ll have to wait and see if what we learned today is helpful for qualifying,” Power said. “All the Team Penske cars seem to be quick, and we’ll continue to fine-tune things so we’re prepared when it comes time to qualify.”

Mario Moraes, seeking to qualify for his third Indy 500, also topped 225 mph in the No. 32 KV Racing Technology car (225.043) – one of four entries for the team co-owned by Jimmy Vasser and Kevin Kalkhoven.

“We are right where we want to be with our settings,” Moraes said. “Our team is working on a variety of things with each of the drivers. We’ll continue to work on our program that was laid out for us before we came to the track this month.”

Ryan Briscoe (224.559), Marco Andretti (224.489) and Graham Rahal (224.320) also were in the top 10. A.J. Foyt Racing’s Vitor Meira and A.J. Foyt IV were in the top 15, while Townsend Bell (like Foyt an Indy 500-only participant) was 12th in the No. 99 Herbalife Ganassi/Schmidt Racing car.

“Today was the first day that we really started working on se up -- on the ‘500’ program,” said Meira, who last year suffered broken vertebrae in a Race Day crash. “It was very good, we tried different setups, learned about the setups that we have, they’re both good but one is better than the other.”

Ana Beatriz (22nd at 221.705), who has competed in the past two Firestone Freedom 100 races at the Speedway, led the rookies.

2. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    The drivers are hitting up the local sports news. Past Sunday had assorted drivers in Q&A sessions. They are showing up around Indy signing autographs.

The Month of May is here in Indy!!!

We need this rain to go away so they can get some legit practice in with this shortened program.

Derek Daly's son Conor, is racing in the IndyLights race at Carb Day. ZZ Top is playing that day too.

3. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Well, the 1/2 month is here anyway...

Doesn't Conor hang out of these local car forums?

4. Roots Mon

Roots Mon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2008
    U.S. - Europe
    Full Name:
    Roots Mon
    #4 Roots Mon, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
    Is there any mention in Indy regarding bringing about a
    unified prize for any driver who takes part in and ultimately
    wins both the Indy 500 and World 600 in Charlotte with an
    ultimate prize of $20mm?

This seemed to be the topic of the day on Windtunnel
    Sunday as Dave Despain kept bringing it up.

The whole thing sounds like a promoter's wet dream
    but the practical side asks who would be putting up the
    money even if they could find five drivers willing to
    take part?

Is there any real buzz about this in Indy or is it just
    an urban myth?

RM

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I love the build-up to Indy. Ironic to find this thread, because this morning I was thinking to myself "Where's the buzz?" I'd love to jump in the car this weekend and catch qualifying--I need to refresh myself with the schedule.

6. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    New qualifying format for this Saturday. Not sure what I think about it yet, but the top 9 qualifiers have their times erased and go at it again.

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Scratch that. Just remembered we have a family get-together on Saturday. NOT optional:mad:

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There have only been a couple of drivers even attempt it, and they were pretty blown out by the time the second race was over....

Why bother??

9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    There are only two, MAYBE three guys that can even attempt this, and we know who they are. Problem is only one of them is a LEGITIMATE threat.

Because of the challenge? I would if I was in a position to, but nowadays you have contracts that say what you can and cannot take part in.

10. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    When May 1st rolls around, we start flying the IMS flag in front of the house, as do several others down the street. The buzz is finally happening.

Weather has been rainy for most of the week. Looks like we are going to get a couple of days of dry so the drivers will get some good practice and set-up work in. Might have to head over tomorrow to catch some practice runs if I can get all my chores done.

Weekend is looking to be AWESOME. Clear and highs in the 70's. Assuming current forecasts hold true.

Couple of spins have happened so far and Wheldon hit the wall, but didn't destroy the car. Guess is suspension broke, but that's also the section that hit the wall, so they don't know for sure.

I need to renew my scanner code membership and make sure the batteries are charged! WooHoo!

11. Roots Mon

Roots Mon Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2008
    U.S. - Europe
    Full Name:
    Roots Mon
    The whole thing seems very far fetched and since there
    dosent seem to be any mention of this on any of the legitmate
    racing site, smacks of Wind Tunnel making things up as
    they go along to create any sort of hype.

Al Unser, Jr was one of the guests and when Despain
    brought up this $20mm notion Jr was obviously uncomfortable
    answering as he's obviously on the IMS payroll now going
    on about what a great job the IRL is doing, IZOD's involvement,
    all this...

The problem is even when a driver attempts to do both races,
    he's usually an also-ran (with the exception of Stewart)
    and the logistics of it are prohibitive especially if Indy
    runs long due to weather or cautions.

The notion of a racing format talk show like Wind Tunnel
    is intriguing enough but Speed is taking it down the wrong
    path.

RM

12. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    He's registered on maximum and does limited posts. "Stinky" keeps in contact with him. He's been to C&C. Maybe we'll see him at C&C again during May, although I figure he's busy with race prep.

13. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Can't wait for the race!

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I used to subscribe to the newpaper for the month, they had some sort of package...they mailed it every day to my office here in Houston!!!

15. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    JPM?

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Or Tony?

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I love Indy - three years ago took my wife and 2 of my kids - stayed at the new Hilton downtown - got picked up in 2 helicopters a few blocks away- five minutes to the track - Mario Andretti's brother, Aldo, picked us up from the helio pad and took us right to pit lane before the race and then to a suite to watch the race with several former drivers. After the race, we were back at the bar at the Capital Grill 45 minutes after the race ended - now that was the way to see a race - what a world class experience

18. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Can't wait for qualifying this weekend! Though I admit, I do have some issues with the new qualifying format.

Man, I'm regretting not renewing my tickets from last year :(

19. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #19 SMS, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #20 SMS, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Danica. She had the serious face going, but was pretty cordial to the fans, even signing and talking to fans while walking 10 mph en route to her lapping session. Sorry for all the disgusting details in the photo, I just noticed all the things going on in the shot. Not sure if the one fan was a man or woman, but it did have a cool shirt on.

Sarah

Simona

Prying off weight assemblies from the top side of the skid plate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login