2010 458 Cracked Exhaust Manifold + Other Issues! | FerrariChat

2010 458 Cracked Exhaust Manifold + Other Issues!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by socialpro1, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. socialpro1

socialpro1 Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #1 socialpro1, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Recently after picking up my new to me 2010 458 - a pesky check engine light started to come on (engine control system failure). As a reference the car has 33K miles - and has been used close to a DD in the last 8-9 months before my purchase.

At first - it would come on at startup and quickly clear or the dash. I also hooked car up to battery tender as thought maybe its a voltage issue of sorts - and that did not resolve anything. The car also got a new battery.

A week later - the check engine light is on there permanently and it was time to take the car in (and it also needed annual maintenance as well).

There was a slight hint of gas smell at start up as well, and sometimes hesitation in acceleration in lower gears. Few times at a red light I would hear some loud pops/bangs coming from somewhere underside of the car. There did not feel to be a loss of power overall, and the car never went into 'limp' mode.

Upon the shop scanning codes - they noted a cylinder 6 misfire as well as 2 ferrari miscelaneous codes - and they do not have the factory software to read the exact codes. After getting the car up on the lift noticed that the driver side exhaust manifold had a crack - and previous welding that signified there might of been a leak there before as well. What's baffling to me is that there is an EPA emissions warranty for 7 years / 70K miles that would have taken care of the header previously, fixed at a dealer - and it does not appear that this welding attempt has been done recently.

Additionally - the rear driver shock is leaking - so eventually (or soon?) I will have to think about replacing or rebuilding both rear shocks.

My next step is to take the car to a ferrari only shop and have them read out the exact codes and confirm that the header is in fact faulty. I have done a search but do not see much evidence of 458s having header issues - this seems to be a 430/360 dilemma that has been resolved.

Not too worried yet - as car appears solid otherwise.

Any suggestions on sourcing the driver's header or does anyone have one after replacing it with aftermarket ones?

What would you do regarding rear shocks? There is a shop that rebuilds them in Phoenix and considering going that route.

Hopefully get all this patched up and get her back out on the road where she belongs! Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated from anybody whos dealt with either of those issues.

I will update this thread to resolution as to the exact cause of the check engine light and if the header is in fact toast. Also will try to upload pictures of the crack in the header as waiting back on shop for that as well.

2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    #2 daflk, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    My 2012 458 spider with 70,000km had cracked OEM exhausts, I replaced it with a Novitec inconel exhaust.

I daily my car and mash the throttle. I live in extremely hot and humid weather with tons of rain (and I drive in torrential rain).

All four shocks have been replaced (don’t rebuild) at 50k km fronts and 60k km tears US$5,000 a pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I would replace the headers with aftermarket. The previous poster had the right idea with Novitec inconel headers, but unless you want to ball out and pay the absurd price for them, I would go with Kline inconel headers, which are really high quality but also an exotic material.

Do you know if your misfire is related to the cracked header?

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You should seriously consider using this as an opportunity to replace the log manifolds with actual headers. The 458 "headers" are not "headers", but like I said, just basic log manifolds. There's a lot to be gained in terms of response and a bit of power. The Capristo headers are of a wonderful quality, and drop right in. I suspect that such a set might not be that much more expensive than an OE manifold.

FFan5 likes this.