2009 Ongoing Connecticut Gathering | FerrariChat

2009 Ongoing Connecticut Gathering

Discussion in 'New England' started by Saint Bastage, Jan 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #1 Saint Bastage, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Every Sunday between 8:00 and 12:00 a group of enthusiasts meet at the Starbucks in Rocky Hill Connecticut to shoot the breeze, plan trips, tours, cruises, trade secrets, advise, and generally say hello. The 2008 thread and gathering was wildly successful culminating in over 17,000 hits, 500 posts, and most importantly the introduction of a band of friends. A core group of 8 cars and 3 Bikes are present nearly every Sunday and occasionally draw a crowd of other Ferrari's, Lambo's, Merc's and other performance vehicles. Our largest attendance was late in the season when 32 cars graced the parking lot. This thread is a continuation of that premise for the 2009 season.

Please feel free to stop in. Invitations are not required as ALL are welcome.

***Please enter Starbucks from Route 3 as the Elm street (route 160) entrance has scrapped more than one spoiler.***
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #2 Saint Bastage, Jan 4, 2009
    Our first meet of 2009 welcomed Phil, Dean, Jay, and yours truely.

Phil - You Da Man. I love to see guys that know how to treat a car. She was shiny, clean and obviously happy to be out of the garage. Our photographer was not able to make it so I'll apologize for the crappy cell phone shot. (camera of last resort)

3. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Great to meet you Phil, gorgeous Testarossa. Funny how the guy sitting next to us was convinced you're a millionaire and the TR was brand new and worth at least $200k. Good luck getting the 308 sorted...and you'll have to tell the story again on it's unique history!

Dean, thanks for bringing that conversation piece (wheel / tire next to the TR in Lane's pic is from a 1979 Ferrari F1 car...sweet!)

4. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Great meeting you guys Sunday. The weather was perfect, traffic on 91 was very light and the TR was breathing easy. The trip down was well worth the effort, and I'll definitely make more of the gatherings this coming year.
    Jay... great job on the calendar.

5. darthnefas

darthnefas Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    It's about time you guys updated your post! The other one was getting trafficy.

Looks like it's going to be a great year.

6. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    It was good to see you guys. Lane, its a great idea to start a new tread. Jay, glad you enjoyed the wheel and tire (450/38 - 13) from the 312T4. My wife thinks its junk. Phil, I'm so impressed you bought your Testarossa. I'm determined to bring my car next year on the first Sunday of 2010. I have some motorcycle friends that would do a ride on January 1st each year. I think you're on to something.

7. karc

karc Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    I'm gonna try and make a couple of these once the weather is better, looks like a good time!

8. drjess

drjess Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    Farmington
    Full Name:
    Jessica
    Don't forget that we welcome bikes at this meet too...(bikes with a throttle just in case it wasn't clear)

If you are a rider or know others who ride, come on out this spring!

9. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    My baby is headed down to PA for her gearbox work this weekend. Sorry I can't make it to SBucks.

Lane

10. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Hey Lane - what's going on with the gearbox? Making me nervous... who in PA is doing it?

11. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Nothing terrible, just making her perfect. 3rd gear synchro is hosed and has been since I bought her. Pocono sports car is doing it. Turns out Jim is not only factory trained, he taught the class on the 348 box.

12. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lane, are they picking the car up for you or do you have to trailer it down?

13. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #13 Saint Bastage, Jan 18, 2009
    Here's the answer from 6:45am at -12ºF just prior to launch. I could have had it picked up but I'm to cheap. I love doing the parts that I can. It makes me feel a little closer to the car every time. I hope to be able to take a visit when the reassembly process begins. If I can turn a wrench, I'm sure I'll bust a knuckle leaving some portion of my DNA in the box. Thats what truely makes the car mine, my blood, my sweat (no tears please).

Lane

14. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    What make you choose the shop in PA? thats a nice trip from Ct...and there are lots of good places in between...and since you are making some people NERVOUS how much is it costing so they can budget for it...

also, what size are you wheels...I saw your car at an event and was telling someone else about it who has a 348 SS but cant remember the size

15. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nice. I love the committment we make to our cars (6:45AM and -12 degrees). What made you choose Pocono vs IFS, Boston Sports Car, or KTR in MA? I think I'm going to have to break down and take mine in once I get the cooling system back together (this will be my thrid try to get it back together with no leaks... keeps leaking at from heater hose and at water pump). I got a few good tips so I am trying one last time... if still leaks its going in to the pros so I can get it back before driving season. I am still undecided where I would take it.

16. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Way to go Lane, she'll be all set when the roads clear (if ever...hello global warming, where are you??)

Dersono - I've used Pocono Sportscar in the past; expert factory trained service, very fair rates, and really not far - 2 hrs. flat for me, easy drive on the highway. There's not much else for service in CT aside from the dealership.

Joe - you paid your dues, it's ok to take it to an expert now ;) I've got a few small leaks to look into, just too #@$! cold in the garage right now.

17. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #17 Saint Bastage, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
    Can't beat the price or experience at Pocono. Jim McGee is not only factory trained, he taught the class regarding this specific tranny. He was working with Ferrari NA at the time and was one of the technicians used to change the 348 over to 348SS specs. My understanding is that the first 100 (mine is #64) were done by FNA in 1992/1993, the second set of 15 where done in Maranello in 1994.

The Speciale placard on the SS dash was designed by him.

If thats not enough his bid was about half of the local dealers and he is about 2.5 hours...the same distance as Boston.

Those wheels are 19's...If I had it to do over, I think I'd go with 18's

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    why would you go 18s over 19s, its a nice look...i may gone with a high profile tire...what is approx price for that tranny rebuild?

SS were not from the factory originally...didnt know that...what is the difference

19. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Dersono - You have a PM

I'd like to restore the thread to the original intent...your invitation to our gatherings. An occasional tangent helps keep the thread healthy can also misdirect users.

Did anyone attend today?

20. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm planning on stopping by tomorrow if anyone's around...

21. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    I will stop by around 9

22. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can count me in. Really close to home and a great time of day for me.

--Mike

23. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Weather looks good for next few days. Roads should be clean and dry by Sunday. Anybody planning on going???

24. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If the roads are dry I will go. I still have a few days on the temp. plates I want to use up. Looking forward to meeting the group.

--Mike

25. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Would love to see your TR again! I'm planning on going; no 355 since I took insurance off for the winter. I'll take the STi or if the roads are dry maybe the Firebird.