2009 Corvette ZR1: First Drive | Page 4 | FerrariChat

2009 Corvette ZR1: First Drive

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JDZNate, Aug 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    To correct something about the F55 shocks, the problem was not slow reaction time (1000 adjustments per second in 1st gen F55) but rather heat build up in the magnetic coils during track driving. This was an issue with the 1st gen F55 (2003 - 2007). 2nd Gen F55 (2008 - ) does not have this problem and this enables it to be used on the ZR1. Hopefully, this suspension will be offered on the 2010 Z06. Having lived with F55 for a year (I have a 2008 with F55, I had a 2005 with base suspension) and the difference F55 makes is remarkable. I will never own a corvette without F55 again, as the amount of composure that this suspension brings to the C6 platform transforms the car from being nervous, bump sensitive car to being a planted, confident handler.

Jimmy

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    An interesting issue noted by you regarding the F55 shocks. I would defer to the manufacturer. The Delphi Corp informs me that 'I can assure you, there is no “heat issue” related to racetrack performance and the Corvette'. This is directly from the Control System Engineering department there.

CH

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #79 jimmyb, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
    It is my understanding that the heat issue was on first generation F55, which first appeared in 2003 on the 50th anniversary corvette. The 2nd generation came out on the 2008 corvette (along with, I assume, the 599GTB). I should note that this is info from various corvette websites (I believe everything I read on the internet, don't you?) so my info could be wrong, tainted, or just a big lie.

Jimmy

4. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Saw two ZR1's at Road Atlanta during PLM. The hood cover is not as bad as expected, but I could still live without it. Same with the shiny wheels. The brakes are unreal. The interior looks... typical. The different outward cues are too subtle to be noticed by any non-enthusiast - it's a real sleeper. It seems to follow the usual Corvette mantra of bang for the buck. I cannot think of anything at that price that comes close. But like most cars, I cannot imagine paying a premium for it. I would bet that it's performance potential will be bragging rights only for most customers.

5. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Saw this car at the Seattle International Autoshow this weekend. I hate to admit it......but I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was simply stunning in the grey/blue with the carbon fiber roof and pillars. Details over the regular Vettes were subtle, but even to a non Corvette person, I could still tell that this particular Vette was "special". The hood doesn't look bad at all, and the wheels were the non chromed.......and looked fantastic, although black or powder coated grey would have finished it off nicely. The only thing that disappointed was when I looked inside. GM did a great job on the performance and the exterior..........but completely neglected the interior. Definitely not up to "supercar" standards.

Nonetheless, for the money, I don't know what can even come close to this.

6. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Yeah, I dont like the see thru hood. It just shows the engine/supercharger cover?!!!. I also dont like, the Steering wheel, Seats (POS!), the rear brake air scoop, and the door "handles".
    Love the preformance, price, utility, and 5/100k Warranty!

7. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    You deserve a Corvette!

8. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    #84 StoryBook, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008

Marty you deserve a..................ummm not going there ;)