2009 Corvette ZR1: First Drive | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2009 Corvette ZR1: First Drive

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by JDZNate, Aug 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looked at some new vettes tonight. Judging by the shutlines these are not exactly precision built no matter the performance, plus finesse equals fun and the vette does not have it..

2. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    each brand on the same platform was seen as saving money by having them built on the exact same assy. line. That now makes in quite difficult to divide the misc. brands from each other today; besides the agreements with the unions as to what can be built, as well as where, and when.

3. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Pretty funny, people here are complaining about the hood with the engine showing through. I think it is funny because the 360 and F430 do the exact same thing. Still tacky???

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely ... there are many things tacky on the 360 and 430 Ferraris.

One of the terrible things that is happening lately is the covering of engines with plastic, I guess to like hide it. To me that is just wrong.
    Pete

5. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Ha!

6. Greg Z

Greg Z Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory L. Zelinski

LOL. You said what I was thinking. Good for you!LOL

7. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    the c6 is an awesome car and easily the best car GM has ever made... the z06 is robust and lacks proper suspension and finesse..... i think the ZR1 is the most beautiful and finely engineered machine any american manufacturer can make... cant wait to drive one!!!

8. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    the c6 is an awesome car and easily the best car GM has ever made... the z06 is robust and lacks proper suspension and finesse..... i think the ZR1 is the most beautiful and finely engineered machine any american manufacturer can make... cant wait to drive one!!!

9. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I guess after reading that statement you haven't driven a ZO6 either....

10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    2 things-

Client of mine owned a C6 ZO6 that he traded in and he leased a 997TT. I asked him which he liked better and he told me that the "ZO6 was an axe and the 997TT is a scapel"; after I politely reminded him that he failed to answer the question he 'fessed that he missed the 'vette...

Was at Porsche of Huntington yesterday checking out the new 911s and talked to the sales manager there (he handled the transaction setforth above). He told me he saw the ZR1 (one of his P-car customers just took delivery of it and brought it by the dealer) and that both he and his customer were awed by the car.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Sorry Ryan, Bryan has it right. The Z06 doesn't get the F55 Magnetic ride suspension like the ZR1 has and that is it's downfall. The Z06 also should have gotten the new superior Michelin tire this year for some more 'stick'.

The ZR1's real problem is availability. They are building at least 100 fewer cars than was initially indicated. Some of the stealerships; especially ones in Florida are trying to hang their ZR1 on a victim for over 190k.

Not to mention other dealers who tried to WEASEL their way out of early ZR1 orders with customers so they could resell for a fat premium. There is a hot spot in hell waiting for those guys.
    CH

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I have driven two ZO6's. HARD, I thought while not "easy" to drive they were quite the track car. As do 99.9% of car people. The only issue, which was fixed was a shock calibration change that happened in '07.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Well as with many cars the 'hype' exceeds the reality. The other .1% of car people, race car drivers and the people that drive cars for a living (no taxi jokes please) don't like what the Z06 offers compared to some other cars. It's vague steering, lack of feedback as to just what the tires are doing along with the ride quality raise red flags. Also an inability to get the power down effectively are all issues which are improved upon in the ZR1 which is the car this thread is actually about. There is much interest in the ZR1 while more than 2,000 brand new 2008 Z06 models are sitting at the dealers going nowhere fast even as prices tumble.
    CH

14. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If you say so, but your misinformed about much of your information.

The ZR1 is not the track day car, the ZO6 is....

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What about the base vette with the Z51??? Good for track days yes or no???? if not why not???

16. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If your on more of a budget the Z51 package is great. A buddy has one and beats 911's and Viper's at the AutoX events we go to.

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah a/k/a "wife"....

18. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Is there a reason why GM can't port over the suspension package from the ZR-1 to the Z06? I think that would be the best option for most enthusiasts.

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The original reason the Z06 didn't get the F55 magnetic ride was that the shocks were too slow to respond to the more sporty ride ie. track requirements. Advances in the engineering have created a system that works for the ZR1 that was not possible a few years ago.
    First the Z06 conventional suspension was tuned too stiff when introduced. It was changed and now it's too soft. The Z06 could have the F55 suspension now but Corvette Engineering dollars are tight. They have concentrated on a new motor; the LS3 for the base car and also the LS9 motor version Corvette model. The steering was also re-engineered and one major component was switched back from aluminum to steel for greater strength. The ZR1 still has the aluminum frame though. Maybe next year the Z06 will be in line for some attention but that won't help the left over 2008's...
    CH

20. s204speed

s204speed Rookie

Apr 18, 2008
    The Z06 is a track car; the ZR1 is both a track and a daily. I was surprised how light the clutch was and the visibility and space was fantastic for a "super car".

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The light clutch pedal pressure stays the same as the clutch wears on the Z06. However the ZR1 uses a dual disc clutch that requires greater pedal pressure as the clutches wear. The transmission is also a new upgraded heavy duty design for the ZR1. It backs up a LS9 motor that weighs 529 pounds.
    CH

22. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Many incorrect statements there....

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    You seem very economical with any facts. Please enlighten us...
    CH

24. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Have you driven a ZO6 on a track? Or just going by what you read on the internet?

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I've only driven the Z06 on the street. My experience doesn't change the facts about the car.
    CH