2002 Tahoe "Service Engine" light: How to clear? | FerrariChat

2002 Tahoe "Service Engine" light: How to clear?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Sep 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to reset or clear the "Service Engine Soon" light ("Check Engine" light in Canda) for a late model Chevy Tahoe? Mine runs great, and I don't care to go spending a bunch of $$ for some bozo mechanic to tell me it needs this or that to clean up the ozone layer. Does anyone know how to get this light turned off? thanks in advance!!

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    you can keep resetting it but it will just keep coming back on. If there was a problem that caused the light to come on it will take 3 times starting the car without the problem to erase it.
    Erik

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Erik, thanks for the info. But do you know how to reset it?

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There should be a reset button inside the fuse panel? Did you check there? if not I will ask tomorrow as I work at a chevy dealership. On that car though you can pull the dash right off and just remove the bulb from behind the instrument panel. The dash just snaps on and off.
    Erik

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Wow. That sounds like a more permanent fix! I might just try it. I hate these annoying lights. I have a "check engine" light that comes on periodically on my 348. When I first bought it, I spent probably $600 at various times diagnosing, replacing sensors, etc., etc. Finally, I just put a piece of electrical tape over the light and...it's fixed! Heck, I figure if my fluid and belt changes are current, and my oil and water temps are OK, what the heck do I need a "check engine" light for?