2001 E46 M3 vs. 1983 911 SC | FerrariChat

2001 E46 M3 vs. 1983 911 SC

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Chupacabra, Aug 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    One of the two will most likely be my new daily driver.

M3 has 53,xxx miles, 911 has 34,xxx. Both have excellent service records, M3 belonged to a friend, SC is at a high end European used dealer with a great service department and staff. The SC has the edge as far as cosmetics, the M3 would benefit from a pretty good detailing. Pretty good rubber on both. M3 is about $4-5K cheaper.

I have my reasons for liking both. Obviously, the M3 is more practical considering trunk space and cabin room (the back seats are kind of useable :). I love the classic 911 drive, but the car is in exceptional condition and I'm almost guilty about daily driving it, though I have always had a fantasy about getting a classic 911 and putting tons of miles on it.

I know the SC engine is known to be pretty much indestructible, and I do worry about all of the aging computers on the M3. Also, it's an '01, so I worry about the engine exploding. Rational or ridiculous fear?

Space is not really such an issue as my fiancee drives a Camry and I just bought a 1500 Ram work van to haul gear in. I'd like whatever I get to go easy on my wallet, at least for a little while, as my F-car is coming up on the major VERY soon.

Anyway, sorry to write a novel, but it's actually a difficult decision. I know there are other cars that are cheaper to maintain for the same money, but God help me, I'm sick of being bored to tears by my daily! Any input will be much appreciated!

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am all for living out dreams go for the Porsche!

3. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Amen on Porsche especially you have other options with van and Camry. I've always had a 911 for the past 23 years except for the last 12 months. I miss not having one.

4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd say go for the 911, but that could be me drooling after one that I walked by this morning.

I'd say that the biggest sticking point may be your desire for creature comforts while commuting. M3 will have better heat and AC.

The other thing - and YMMV - is whether or not you can conscience bad things (by which I mean door dings, etc) happening to what sounds like a lovely 911.

5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    911 without a moment's hesitation.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Tough choice but I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else and say the 911SC, bullet proof and a joy to drive. You can get the a/c up to current specs if it has not already been done. I have only driven a few 911's and I was not a fan of the small footwell but that is something that is easily overcome with some fashionable driving based shoes (ie not specifically track based) and alittle more time behind the wheel to find "your" sweet spot.

Like you I have always wanted an early model 911 and at only 34K miles with a great service history and records you have found one that I am envious of, you better close the the deal ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post some pics ok?

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Get the 911.

Live the dream, not the nightmare.

The M3 is the 300 HP (approx) 1st year car that tends to detonate the engine as I recall. First year of the new higher HP motor, it had some serious issues.

I don't recall what they were, but I'm pretty sure that's a car to stay away from.

I just finished an extended shopping adventure for an M3, and my several smart BMW buddies steered me away from this model year.

D

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Some hints on the a/c system:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmNJblwl7M[/ame]

CRAP now I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks for all of the responses, guys!

Seems like SC is leading by a comfortable margin, which it honestly was (especially in the heart vs. head department) before I even posted :) I've heard conflicting reports about the M3s, but pretty consistent praise for SCs.

As noted, my biggest reservation is taking a car that is in such nice shape and subjecting it to daily driving. I guess things can always be fixed, right? :)

10. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Both are great cars, the M3 is going to cost much more in the long run. Your right about the computers, and having owned an M car, I can asure you they cost to maintain. Besides the 911 is a classic and quite robust and does not look dated while the M3 while still in its general form IMHO looks dated if its not the latest model.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Look at it like this ok, if you do not do it someone else will (what is the dealerships name and number?) and a true drivers car is meant to be driven without worrying about the odometer reading!!!!!!!!!

Buy the damn car and post some pics and video's that tell us how right we were and how you will never again question our opinion! Sounded funny at the time.

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Haha, yes sir! :)

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    911 is the way to go as others have said.

14. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm guessing it's the SC at AH in Newport News, it does look really clean?

I really like the E46 M3s, but not so much of a fan of the guys who drive them, definitely seems to be popular with the fake tan/popped collar crowd. I considered one for my new car, but I wanted something with less parts/repair costs.

15. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Speaking from direct personal experience, get the SC. The M3 is a serious performer and will thoroughly outrun the 911 in every way, but it has all the feel of a heavily insulated barge compared to the 911. Big and heavy by comparison. That era of 911 is also surprisingly practical too; golf clubs fit in the front, and I have put two real people in the back seat. They weren't real comfortable, but it was possible.

FWIW I drive an E36 M3 as a daily, and it compares much better with the 911 in light feel and driver connection. Love it, but I would consider swapping it if the right 911 came along.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Go with the Porsche.

17. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    It was the first year 1989 I neleive. In the early cars the M3 head on the motor at about 20,000 miles would crack. In the day it was $10k to fix it and I doubt it has gotten cheaper with time.

My car at the time was small and very highly tuned and stressed motor. It was only 192 hp but just awesome to drive.

I have owned many Porsches including a very old turbo 911 and they are bullet proof cars.
    What amazes me is it does not rattle or make any noise and drives like it did when new.

Good luck

Lee

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Two friends have e46 m3's as DD's. Great cars, both tracked multiple times, no major issues and only a few minor ones - electrochromatic mirror cracked in 115 degree heat and taillight board went on one, o-ring in fuel pump on the other causing hard starts and both cars needed rear shock mounts. I'm a big fan of the e36/e38/e39/e46 bmw's, best looking sedans and coupes made imo and they ride very nicely. I am decidedly not a 911 guy, though. I'd rather a later 928 or 951 for a DD and actually did DD a 944 for a while. Unfortunately, practicality says I need 4 usable seats so current DD is a 2000 e38 msport.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Back when I needed a larger back seat for children/car seats/ect..., I used an e36 E3 and three M5s, e34, e39 & e60, as daily drivers. I have also used a Porsche 993 and now 991s as daily drivers. The BMWs pale in comparison to the Porsches in performance, build-quality, reliability and resale value.

20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Yup, that's her. I drove it today, and I really like it. Its very tight, everything works except the clock, engine is clean, gearbox feels great and not balky or notchy, no synchro issues...honestly the best older 911 I've encountered (not a great amount, to be honest). So...I think Tuesday I'm going to do the deed :)

It does need the carrera chain tensioner upgrade, so I'm going to see if I can factor that in to the price a bit. They offered to split the cost with me. We will see!

21. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    An old 911 or an E46 M3? Oh boy, you are not going to like either car as a daily driver. Both cars are a chore to drive everyday. The M3 will run circles around the 911 however, you already know this. Geez, I would rather drive a Saturn as an everyday driver, which is just what I drive everyday and I like it. I do have an E46 M3 that I bought new in 01 when they first came out. I was first on the list for the very first new E46 M3 that came into the dealership. As I said, this car is a chore to drive everyday so I parked it in the garage in 01 where it still sits today with only a few miles on it. I think I only bought it because I love the color. That Papa Smurf Blue. The only car I dislike driving more is my 930 Turbo (911) pretty much the same thing. This car is more of a chore to drive. It also just sits next to the M3. Do not buy either car as a daily driver. I should know....

22. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow you're out of your mind. :) I've daily driven both, still drive an E36 M3 every day and would have no problem with a 911 of any vintage. A Saturn? Now that's a chore. My wife had one when we got married, biggest piece of ****e I've ever had the displeasure to drive. With all due respect, yer nuts.

23. Richelieu Ferrari

BANNED

Apr 3, 2009
    Yea I know, it's ok. You know, I think I just got bored with shifting gears in traffic and both the M3 and 930 are very jumpy off the line. Also, I used to like everyone looking at my cars, now, it's rare that I take anything out of the garage. I can not remember the last time I ran the M3, or the 930, not this past year that's for sure. I have a 928 that I have not started in over 20 years. I like to blend in with my little Saturn wagon. Bought it new back in 99 and it's the best car I owned as far as a driver. I forgot to say, it's not stock. This Saturn has a Twin Turbo set up plus 3 inch straight pipes. Get the air into the turbos and get it out of the exhaust as quick as you can. You would never know it but the car runs low 13's in the quarter so it will out run most cars on the road. Plus, 30mpg cruising on the highway. This is not a normal Saturn. Nuts? I guess so.

24. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats, I almost swung by there the other day to take a look myself, ran out of time. Hope you enjoy it.

I have a friend who dailys his 964 from Wburg to Richmond, he has over 200k on it now, and loves every minute of it.

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I agree. My 80+ year old parents use to drive a Saturn until I got them a VW Golf. I commute 42 miles round trip each day in Atlanta traffic and love MT cars as daily drivers, from M cars, Viper, 993, MazdaSpeed3, 991s and more, Its just more fun to shift and it takes the boredom out of daily commuting. Go with a Porsche manual or take the bus!