2 Years for 488.. | FerrariChat

2 Years for 488..

Discussion in 'Canada' started by uhn2000, Apr 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok I am all up for Ferrari demand and the mid-engine V8 magic but there has to be more to the story. Are we Canadians getting the shaft with some of the longest wait times or is demand really that strong. FOO saying they won't even take a deposit because they are not getting any vehicles BUT if you want a California T in the mean time I have an allocation tomorrow. ??

2. rnelson

rnelson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2005
    Same game as always...

3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I guess the guys behind the gate want to make absolutely certain the 458 won't jump it in value anytime soon!

4. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #4 Peter, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At our recent car show (end of last month), FMoV had one on display. Checking their website, it's not listed in their inventory, so it may have sold.

Stock# N0709, VIN: ZFF79ALA2G0216653. Asking $376,927.00.

Like rnelson says, same game. The 488 is brand NEW, so there is strong demand from all markets right NOW. Cali has been around since 2008, lots of them out there...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Well you kinda get the 488's engine if you order a California T so...

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Two decades [or more] of this for the new rear-engined V8 models. I remember when 360s had years of wait and used ones were going for $75k+ over list. Spiders were nuts for a while.

At the launch event for the 488 Spider they were already acting queasy about taking more deposits for it. Sales rep said maybe 3 years... but said, "you should really just get one of these 458 spiders if you want something, and drive that until we can get you a 488, if that's what you want." He wasn't being rude, just pragmatic.

7. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    This is all total BS.

It is the same 50 guys in GTA / Woodbridge / Windsor / Oakville that are buying these new 488's these days... there is a huge problem with new customer growth in Ontario at FoO.

Very few 'new' customers who are buying... its the repeat owners turning over their leases of their existing cars into the new ones.

The sales guys are pumping up the image of the 488. By telling the existing customer, "hey this 488 will be so much better, its already sold out! Get one now before its too late!" ... Its the only way the existing owners would turn over their 458 into the 488.

They are both pretty much the same car. Its a tough sell, the only way to move the 488 is to prove that the supply is sold out. Its a sales tactic.

Let the hoopla settle in the first few months, then you will see dozens of 488's on the roads, and deliveries go from 2 years down to 2 months... its the same gimmick every 5 years.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I can't blame them for having a hot item - they need to sell their allocation and really their max profit is on the used and lightly used cars.

And as was mentioned, you can get a Cali T, FF or F12 right now.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I remember 1999 well, it was a two year wait for the 360 at $204,000.00 brand new base, no options. Larry at Ferrari of Ontario said come upstairs. If I wanted a Ferrari today, buy this 1971 Daytona for $195,000.00 CDN instead.
    The problem wasn t the car or the wait time, it was finding the 200K. So I bought a Testarossa for half the money back then. Oh the errors in life we live to regret. Mind you, nothing to really regret because I didn't have that kind of money for a used car. But knowing now, I sure would have found a way to make it happen

10. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Your TR is a beautiful thing... Don't worry about the past

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

11. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    well as of today I am on the waiting list

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    So am I... For a Hemorrhoidectomy

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

13. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    About 12 month wait, limited supply of 488s to dealers.

14. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Wait till the recession; no wait at all even at low prices. Like with all commodeties,sell high ,buy low. Be patient.

15. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
  16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    You know, if I were in this game, I'd do the same thing too.

To me, it doesn't make sense to hold onto a car for a long period of time, especially at this price level. There'd be very few modern cars I would want to keep for a long period of time, based on intrinsic and/or sentimental value.

Why take massive depreciation hits? Enjoy the car for a year or two and flip it for a new one - the miles will be still low and "desirable", still under warranty, still relatively new for other buyers who couldn't be first in line to get into the "new model" syndrome, you won't have lost much on resale/trade-in value, etc.

17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Hey, I know how you feel. Don't worry, that Daytona is still out there somewhere, it may cross your path again (and hopefully the timing and finances will be right).

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    #18 MS250, May 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If given the opportunity one day, but, for now, this picture will have to do :)

19. Dirty-Cheech

Dirty-Cheech Rookie

Apr 11, 2016
    Hell, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Itchy Scratchy

Being wealthy is recession proof. Anybody know any lawyers in Panama ?