2-post lift & 355. Where to put the arms? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2-post lift & 355. Where to put the arms?

Discussion in '348/355' started by hacker-pschorr, Jun 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good point. I was already thinking about taking the front wheels off at the point in time when I'm ready to lift the body away, just to reduce the weight over the front lifting points a few by a few KG, especially since I've run the fuel tank down to nothing and am planning to drain whatever is left to pull the fuel pumps.

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone know a place where the rear of a 355 can be lifted so that both wheels can be removed? I need to do the final exhaust adjustments on my car and it would be ideal to get rear of the car off the ground just enough to remove both wheels, pull the liners, and get access to the cats/header junction. Is it safe to jack it with a floor jack from the rear crossmember (red circle in @kenneyd's pic) if I put a 2x4 across the entire crossmember to spread the load? It's gonna suck to have to go side by side adjusting little by little.

3. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob

If I lift using a trolley jack I always use the point circled in red in kennyd's photo. Use a decent rubber pad so as not to dent the reinforcement fillets on the cross beam.

Do not be tempted to jack on the cross beam that runs under the gearbox. It is not strong enough to take the car's weight without bending and touching the gearbox.

WATSON likes this.
  4. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Do you mean lift it on the gearbox mount (place a block of soft wood or rubber under the mount), or on the seam inboard of the mount?

It's amazing how little info there is online about something that (to me at least) is rudimentary.

5. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I mean on the joint where the cross member bolts to the engine cradle. That point is very strong. Exactly in the centre of the red circle on kennyd’s photo. I don’t jack from below the mount.

Targatime likes this.
  6. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If I am just doing tires, I will use the factory rear jack points. I'm sure that 'red circle' in my picture is very strong, but I've never used that to lift the car more than a few inches.

7. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've got two floor jacks, to hell with it, I'm just gonna lift it with both. 20 years of 911 ownership spoiled me -- just put a jack with a piece of 2x4 under the case seam and the car is in the air.

8. Chippa

Chippa Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Umm... why rely on gravity alone to keep it where you want it? Why not simply run a pair of Aerofast webbing straps from the arm on one side, to the arm on the other, with the appropriate protective padding and gently rachet the whole thing snug?

(Not an owner (yet!), but an enthusiastic reader of this 345/355 forum, so I welcome your constructive feedback )

9. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I have one of these knocking around for just such an emergency.............

https://www.amazon.com/Stark-Underhoist-Tripod-Capacity-High-Position/dp/B07P629X9W/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=tall+support+jack+stand&qid=1613592026&sr=8-12

10. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
  11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    emac likes this.
  12. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
  13. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Here is Dave Lelonek's exceptional guide to lifting/jacking the F355.

Attached Files:

Laserman and emac like this.
  14. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I could with the same for my testarossa