2 Ferrari and motorcycle crash. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2 Ferrari and motorcycle crash.

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by rmani, May 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hkpooh

Hkpooh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2011
    dumb kids + exotic cars, what do you expect?
    and the "right sounding" statment is just a joke, encouraging people to endanger the public is the same shxt.

2. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    This is just sad: http://www.cliffviewpilot.com/bergen/3793-dumont-man-charged-in-death-of-things-from-england-owner-steve-lenge-makes-bail

The gentleman who died seems to have been a very well known guy, the fact that he has a wife and 2 kids makes it even more tragic.

The Ferretti kid wasn't just some dumb kid, he has 3 degrees and just joined the company. Sounds like he got caught up with a reckless bunch and made a mistake that will cost him his freedom. That's a very talented person going to prison, i feel for him as well.

That mug shot is pretty ugly.

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I'd be surprised if he does any real jail time, unless he has prior run ins with the law.

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. NJ, as with many other states, is taking death by auto much more seriously. If it turns out the two of them were racing, or even speeding way above the limit, it is likely the prosecutor will go hard on them. Killing someone with a car is no laughing matter these days. And since it involved two high-powered, high priced Ferraris, you know they will get absolutely NO sympathy. This wasn't one of those situations where another driver pulled out of a driveway or made a stupid move, causing an accident with an unrelated driver, who then ended up hitting someone else. It was two guys from the same company driving high HP exotics, and likley speeding. And if the evidence or witnesses show that they were racing or "screwing around", it will not go well for them in court.

The folks at GDC were very active on this forum when the company was first starting. And IIRC, so was Ferreti. Not pointing a finger, but there were a group of guys on here who were, shall we say, rather aggressive drivers for the street. We had many heated discussions back then with folks like me saying "if you want to go fast, take it to the track, don't do it on the street" with others telling guys like me to go stick it. Hopefully, the investigation will show that they weren't speeding and/or street racing. But my gut tells me that accidents like this don't happen when you are obeying a 25 mph speed limit.

My heart goes out to the family of the poor guy on the motorcycle. So sad that an innocent life is lost like that. As an aside, that's why I won't ever get back on a motorcycle and haven't for over 30 years. Too many close calls.

5. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

6. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Wait until the prosecutors present (to the court) all those cavalier street racing YouTube videos they have posted over the years AND that SuperSpeeder video collection that they tout, on line. It cannot go well for the defense in a New Jersey vehicular manslaughter case :(. I guess, unfortunately, it's time to pay the piper for all the nonsense.

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just sad...really sad.

Who was the Guy that made videos of supercars going up the west side highway and other places at over 100 mph..like 6 years ago???
    filmed from atop the trump condos

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OK I see...post # 11

Figures!

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I have to strongly disagree with you on this point. Speeding like these guys do is NOT acceptable behavior on the street, no matter how experienced you are or how much time you've spent on the track. The problem with speed like that on the public roads is that other drivers and road conditions are unpredictable. On the track, we all know what we are doing and we play by a set of rules, and we are grouped by skill level. Inexperienced drivers do not go out on the track with the high speed groups because they don't know enough about how to handle their cars.

But on the street, there are all kinds of people, different ages, experience levels, etc. Road conditions can change -- pot hole, garbage on the road, oil, water, stones, animals, pedestrians, you name it. When someone speeds on a public road, they are assuming that others will see them coming and stay out of their way. That's a BIG assumption. And you know what they say about the word "assume." All you need is one driver who doesn't see that car coming up on him at more than twice his speed and pulls out to change lanes, and bam, you've got a tragedy.

I'm not saying everyone drives the speed limit. We all know most don''t. But doing in excess of 100 mph on the highway is just plain stupid. I hope they do throw the book at these guys if it turns out they were speeding, and even more so, if they were racing.

p.s. I knew some of those guys who were doing the "speeding" a while back, and your assumption that they are highly trained drivers is not well founded. They only thought they were well trained. Virtually none of them had any track experience or formal high performance driver training.

10. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    The highway system is designed for high speed, and most cars also. It is just the drivers that are not used to big speed differences. Driving in Germany at speeds exceeding 100MPH is legal and all drivers (especially slow cars) are as much aware what is behind them as they are what is in front of them. My biggest gripe of driving in the US is that almost nobody is looking in their mirrors.....

In the mean time, I'm too old for illegal speeding. I keep that for Germany and the track.

Actually it is nowadays impacting the choice of cars I own, but that is another story.

11. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Superspeeders is of no consequence in this accident. They weren't involved.
    And it was the younger brother that was involved in the accident as an employee of GDC.
    At this point, all I know is the paper's presentation and interpretation. These folks who have to sell their stories for profit. Perhaps the biker was speeding too or shared in the accident in another way.
    I'm willing to wait until the evidence is in before I chastise or convict.

Though it was and will be a horrendous chain of events for all those involved.

12. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    This case should be a slam dunk as proving reckless driving with physical evidence from the scene will likely be easy. Furthermore, knowing how tight security is at the meadowlands these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the accident was caught on a surveillance camera.

-------------------------------------------

The definition of death by auto is set forth under N.J.S.A. § 2C:11-5, as a crime that occurs when a driver kills someone while driving recklessly.

13. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    Clyde, I know your cars are/were stored with GDC. Can you honestly say that speeding and reckless driving is isolated to this one gas trip?

You may not remember me, but we both know this is not an isolated incident. GDC knows exactly how fast their cars are going at all times, the fact that these guys were racing from the gas station is not news to anyone. The police should look at those gps records.

If they wanted to ensure their employees were "trained professionals"you'd think a background check or piss test would be in order. Maybe things have changed in the last 2 years, but this sounds too familiar to even question the biker.

14. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    you are mistaken, none of that is my quote. It's from Joe's older brother (and GDC part owner's) bio from super speeders. Look at the link.

15. hexxman

hexxman Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Full Name:
    NB
    .... i feel that the owner of gotham should be held criminally and civilly liable for this. he has operated a business that rents vehicles to indivduals and sets up rallies and fully condones driving fast and reckless. i hope that he answers for this in a big way, what a horrible tragedy

16. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    So, IF it is PROVEN, that the cause of this tragedy was due to racing, reckless driving, or speeding (solely on behalf of the defendants) .... you would be MORE than willing to nail these guys to the wall criminally for the gentleman's death ....... Correct ??

17. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    This is a sad story any way you look at it. A man has lost his life and two young men who made a grevious mistake(s) in the way they handled the Ferraris have changed their lives for the worst, forever.

It is amazing how one decision or chain of bad decisions can have permanent negative consequences.

I know everyone here has gotten lucky at one time or another in life and a situation which could have turned out badly didn't. Unfortunaltey, in this situation there was no such luck. Please do not take my comments for taking any of the onus for their actions away from these two men. In life we need to think about potential consequences of an action and then live with the results of the decision.

I have always said in trading that smart gets you into a trade and luck gets you out. Smart can also protect you from getting involved in a bad trade from the get go...

Be smart how you drive and who you let drive your cars .....

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Once again, we have no true idea what happened. For those of you who have dealt with the media, you must surely know that what you get from them are sound bytes and half truths. We need to reserve judgment until we have all the correct facts. IMHO they are not out yet.

If there was negligence or outrageous behavior, then of course it must meet with justice. But as of now, we simply do not know for sure what happened.

19. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010

Of course the media hasn't told us everything, but the point i was trying to make earlier is that Gotham's track record makes it hard to believe that this accident wasn't without fault. Gotham has a long history of recklessness and regardless of what happens in court this will be another black eye for them. The judicial system doesn't always function perfectly and unfortunately for Gotham their reputation is judged in the court of public opinion.

20. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    The only thing I see the owner of Gotham being guilty of is bad judgement letting a 19 year old drive his cars and drive them aggressively.

21. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    I believe when someone gets killed everyone involved that has a dime to their name is going to suffer.

Gotham's rental policy states that they will not allow anyone under the age of 21 to rent one of their vehicles. In my opinion this sets a precedent which may also be an agreement with their Insurance carrier, "no one under the age of 21 and or that does not have a clean driving record shall operate their vehicles". If that is the case the insurance company might choose to go after the company for their losses. In my opinion both drivers and the rental company are going to be named in a lawsuit. Hell, in these days I would not be surprised if the property owner Meadowlands Sports Complex was dragged into it as I am sure they have a good bit of insurance coverage.

22. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You're right that you can almost never trust the media to get stories completely accurate but there are hard facts in this case independent of media bias and/or sensationalism. So much evidence, in fact, that the two Ferrari drivers were charged with NJ's version of vehicular manslaughter.

23. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
    Highly unlikely GDC will be liable. Generally, employees acting within the scope of their job duties may hold the company liable, but here it appears they were not. The way the customers drive the cars is a separate issue from what their employees do with them.

Sad, sad story.

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Do you deny that the Ferrari crossed the line into oncoming traffic?
    Do you deny that the motorcyclist was on the correct side of the road?
    Do you deny it was a head-on collision?

Paints a very clear picture to me.

25. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    Gassing up the cars prior to an event is part of the job, no? It's not like they just took the cars for a joy ride.