1st Straman 400A conversion on Ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1st Straman 400A conversion on Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by blkprlz, Oct 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Steering wheel is on the WRONG side though....that sucks. :)

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ended with NO activity since 10/17, ran the price up early & then......Nothing! Are these bidders clueless or what? Might I be missing something?

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    When did this car go through the color changes (exterior from dark metallic brown to red, interior from brown/beige to tan) and lose the exterior gold accents (whatever that means, doesn't sound good at all)?

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Unfortunately, I don't know.

5. flat12

flat12 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006
    Yes, that realy sucks when you have to drive it outside the UK or Australia etc.

6. cannillo

cannillo Rookie

Nov 6, 2005
    Hey Guys, this is Mike Cannillo from Cannillo Motorsports. I read all your Ferrari Chat posting about my 77 Ferrari 400 Straman Conversion and I want to clarify some issues. All the information I post on my cars is what has been passed down to me. I understand and can appreciate that new facts come to light and I will make note and investigate them(ie., mileage discrepancy, second car built etc....). I believe the second owner bought the car from Peter Sachs twenty years ago and he signed a statement attesting that the mileage of 8,666 was correct when he sold it to me. He said he barely drove it in the 20+ years he owned it.

Re. the first 400 Straman built, that's what I was told, it was based on the research I did. The car was fully documented in Cavallino and (even though they didn't state it directly)they alluded to the fact that it was Straman's first 400 conversion.

As I stated in my ad, the previous owner did do a fantastic paint job when he converted it from Brown to Red. It was not cheap! He also refinished the entire interior in leather. Everything was newly replaced and wrapped. Down to the smallest details. The top was replaced from the original vinyl top to a custom made Fabric Top. No expense was spared in the restoration of these three items. As to the quality of the pictures, they were taken right out of storage (and around the block from my mechanic). The car was not cleaned and it does need some re freshening. This is being done now and new pictures will be posted shortly.

I have to say that this is a very special car. This was not a hack job. The car had a great story, the straman conversion is documented as was the later restoration. I still think it's a special car and I would hope some other Ferrari enthusiast' would think so to. I I have a tough job. I find needle's in haystacks and help keep this mark alive and well at my end of the market. I deal in more of the entry level Ferrari's and do my best to be as helpful, professional and forthright as possible. I'm always open to talking about all issues concerning my cars. I'm doing the best I can within the context of being a used car dealer. I'm probably one of the best and few professional car dealers out there in my specialized market. I'm here to be of service to the Ferrari community and earn a living. And believe me, it's not easy in this market dealing with these old entry level classic cars where they're almost cost prohibitive to own and maintain. I appreciate support all the Ferrari community has given me. And I understand that I have to take the good with the bad, I'm not perfect. Again, I'm trying to do my best with what I have.

And lastly, I'm always open to hearing the good and the bad around the cars I sell. Please feel free to call me directly if you'd wish to discuss any matter concerning my cars. Thanks for listening

Michael D. Cannillo
    1-631-242-4414

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Mike,
    I check your site out from time to time & enjoy seeing the classic marques you represent....if I can make a suggestion (and I mean this in a positive way), definately clean the cars before pix----I see you still have the 400 cab, not saying that reserve would have been met but may have done better during auction. If the paint is extremely good, try to capture that with hi-res/close-ups. Lord knows why the #'s came in when they did, I couldn't figure that one out.I also feel that the backdrop plays an important role as well with fine automobiles.
    Bruce

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll say it again. These dealers are at the mercy of the PO's and what they tell them.

I believe everything Mike said above. When I was looking for my first 400i I talked to Mike about a car he had. I remember thinking he was ok.

9. flat12

flat12 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006
    Selling a car is never easy, and more if you have a car like this one and you present it the way it was presented on Ebay.
    I never belief photos but if it already looks awful on a photo it must be even worse "in the metal".

How much would it cost to have some kid clean the car and make some good photos of it in front of a nice house?

Now it made me think of Britney Spears....... and not in her good years.