1st Purchase Advice | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1st Purchase Advice

Discussion in '360/430' started by 08bonnie, Dec 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    In most cases you’re not going to have to spend megabucks to maintain the car to own it and drive it. It depends on two things: YOUR preferences and the need for records for a future sale. If you’re one of those owners that needs everything to be perfect on the car. Open the wallet. You can find things that aren’t perfect on a 20 year old car to change and replace. Little engine ticks can convince you to spend thousands. If you need records for resale when you expect the buyer will ask for them, well that’s going to be fluids every year at the minimum to “show” you took care of the car. Then the question is.. was the work really done? Even at the dealer. I see those costs and just laugh. That’s dealership digging into the owners wallet. Get an independent who knows what they’re doing and don’t bring the car in unless you have to. I do work on my own car and I brought my car into my Indy 4 times in the last 9 years for three things: belts, a clutch, and needed to know which suspension sensor to replace. My estimate is $1-2k per year. Most of mine is with the clutch replacement at $6400.

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Certainly a difference in belts vs. no belts for maintenance. Looking over the past 10 years of the 360/430 sub-forum specific to maintenance the F430 comes out the clear winner. There are less surprises with the F430 when it comes to break/fix and wear items. Parts will only last so long naturally and some of the weak points between the models addressed by the factory.

I can deal with the F1 replacement cost. Having a new clutch in my F1 recently before I bought it was the best way to future proof myself for regular wear items. My knee would not enjoy adding yet another 6spd to the garage so I educated myself extensively as F-chat and internet would allow into the F1 systems as I plan to keep the car as I get older. A gated F430 would be double what I paid for my F1, even less than a gated 360, so to your point that's a lot of clutch changes or oops money.

In Denver, we have two very strong independents, Bill Evenden and Jenni Helms daughter of the late Dave Helms. The car will be in good hands. The oldest lesson on F-chat is not just where to find the car you want but how you can fix it when it breaks. I can do a little of my own maintenance like fluids, plugs, coils, and inspections.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What? When? Why? No !

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Maybe it was her brother's death that I read about, might be it. Jenni runs the shop now.

5. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Thank you all for the great advice! Not 100% decided as of now. The more research I do the more I like the F430. For the price of the gated 360 I can get a much newer and well sorted F430 with the F1 gearbox. The 360 I'm looking at now doesn't have the badges or the Daytona style seats, two options I would have like to have had. Not many gated of either around so I know I can't be too picky. And the 430 gated starts at around $180k, and there are few for sale.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Market is softening, you can find them in the 150-160K range, not converted, factory gated F430s. There was one on Autotrader last month, another on E-bay, and I think a gorgeous F430 6spd berlinetta in Tour de France was listed here on F-chat.

7. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    I forgot to mention that in the service history I found two "track inspection" charges. I assume those are done before taking the car to the track as a requirement by the track. So it would be safe to assume this car has been tracked. Should that be cause for concern? I mean, isn't that what they are designed for?

8. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I have a CS since 2012 and all it needed up to now is regular services. Including belt change and yearly services I think it didn’t cost more than $1500, 2000 tops per year.

08bonnie and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  9. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Sounds like an outlier, and one hell of a nice car. About how many miles do you drive her?

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I consider it healthy exercise. A car that lives more on the track goes through more consumables. I would be hesitant to take a low mile care to the track or anywhere for that matter until proven.

A majority of my service records are from Owner #3 that actually drove it, the other four owners didn't and thus servicing info sparse.

vraa likes this.
  11. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Tampa Bay

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I want to say that Ferrari designs it's cars for a few days a month at the track. I track day or so wouldn't sway me personally. What you're buying is that hunk of aluminum, rubber, plastic and leather that sits before you. What condition is it in NOW and how will you work with that car? It's not new, it's not under warranty, it's a used car that will likely have some issues in the past. Some you can't escape. No matter what the inspection, a bad cat ECU or suspension sensor will sneak up on you. What you don't want is the big stuff.

vraa likes this.
  13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I know what your thinking and your right....BUT.....you HOPEFULLY (and I FOR SURE) drive these cars like the race cars they are. Stuff breaks...I guarantee you drive any other Ford, GMC, Porsche, Saab, etc the way I drive my 360...stuffs gonna break, probably more than my 360 (although maybe cheaper to fix). If you baby it your cheating yourself. Cheers!

14. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Yes, you can get a great F430 F1 or even a 458 for a low cost but then you need to think about if you want a manual or F1 car. These are very different driving experiences. If you like manual, then your options are 360, 550 or a f430 but you don't want to pay that much. So get the 360, you will love slamming those gears. The car seems well sorted from the dealer. I personally would something with higher miles and a drivers car. Good luck. Pull the trigger and enjoy it!

15. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    I did look at that one and it has some nice options and a good price. Unfortunately, it's a Euro car (I think) and it's in N.J. I'm in Florida and not one to buy a car sight unseen. I also checked out BaT and saw some sales history. Looks like nice examples with manual transmission are selling from low 90's to low 100's. So based on that their ask price is not too far off. BUT, the local car has the base seats, no cs grills or shields. Most other cars on the market that I've seen do have the Daytona seats and shields.

16. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Circling back around to this. After the craziness of the Holiday's passed I'm back at looking at this car. It is still available and I'm scheduled to see the car tomorrow at the dealer with my body shop guy. The dealer agreed to put the car up on their lift so the body guy can see under the car and check all the panels for any sign of damage or other issue. My focus is going to be on the hood that is not sitting correctly. The body guy said that when the hood was taken off to be painted the painter probably just didn't align it correctly. So if we confirm that there was no accident evidence (car fax is clean) and the hood can be adjusted to sit properly, there is a good chance I'll make the purchase. At 100k I think the car is towards the upper end of the price range but I did see a black gated 04' sell for $125k the other day. It had half the miles and all the options. I also saw a similar gated black 03' with less miles sell for $89k (with fees) a couple months ago.

PPI - I haven't had one done on the car and the dealer is not working with me on this as they say it doesn't need it since they've been through it from front to back. They don't want to take the car off the lot and they don't want a mechanic to come to their shop. Makes me think they might be trying to hide something. Is there an 'over-rev' report that can be pulled from the ecu? I know when Porsche hunting that is one of the first things people want to see but I've never seen it mentioned here.

I have three years of service history and the car looks very good. Just trying to avoid the nightmare scenario of not buying the 'right'car. Maybe you only know if it's right after a few years of trouble-free ownership? Excited and more than a little nervous at the thought of what I'm getting myself into. Last minute words of advice?
    Cheers!

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No history before 2017
    Bonnet issue
    No PPI

I would walk ,these cars are not rare, sit on your money and wait for those Daytona seats/Challenge grill etc to pop up.

Just treat it as a learning experience.then you will be prepared when the right one comes along.

JaguarXJ6 and 08bonnie like this.
  18. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Spider must be great in Tampa. Top down n Tubi! You can drive it for a couple of years and still be at lowish mileage <20K

08bonnie likes this.
  20. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Returned from the dealer and looked the car over with my body guy. He said the hood is an easy adjustment and the dealer has agreed to take care of that. Both rocker panels were also painted. The rest of the body work on the car is original and any paint work on the hood and rockers is purely cosmetic. So I am satisfied that the car was not painted due to accident damage. And of course the Carfax is clean.

PPI – they are not willing to let the car leave their shop and they wont allow another mechanic onsite to inspect. So they have offered to put the car through their CPO inspection process which they said is as good or better than a PPI. Granted, this wont be from a third party but they said I will get a guarantee in writing that it would qualify for the Ferrari CPO warranty. The sale would be contingent on them fixing the hood and a satisfactory CPO inspection report.

Although not an independent and unbiased opinion, what would your comfort level be with this kind of dealer certified inspection?

EastMemphis likes this.
  21. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    They won’t budge on the price and they won’t let a third party inspect it..... Why exactly are you talking to these people?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Shark01 likes this.
  22. RFly2Dive

RFly2Dive Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Jupiter, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ralph
  23. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    It seems strange they wont allow for an independent PPI... I've never had an issue with a dealer letting me get an exotic sent out for 3rd party inspection. I would wait for exactly what you are looking for and get the right inspection. Just my. 02 cents.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Apollo 11 likes this.
  24. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I disagree with the guys here telling you to walk because an authorized Ferrari dealer won't let you take the car to another shop for an inspection. To me that premise blows my mind, especially on a 20 year old car.

I've bought lots of Ferrari's over the last 10 years - from both private owners and dealers. Some even sight unseen. Never did a full PPI on any - despite purchasers requesting them and having them done - and none ever had any major issues - despite what you may presume if you believe everything you read here.

Honestly - if I'm the authorized Ferrari dealer, offering you the option of buying a Ferrari warranty, 3 years of service records, agreeing to fix whatever is wrong with the car, I'm telling you - that's it. As has been cited, it's a 20 year old car. It could throw a CEL when it's on it's way to the other shop - or when you drive it off the lot - or right after you had your independent shop giving it a glowing PPI.

It's your decision, no one else's. If you are comfortable with the deal, price, and the way the dealer is representing themselves, buy the car.