1st Purchase Advice | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1st Purchase Advice

Discussion in '360/430' started by 08bonnie, Dec 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    What did u end up getting and can you give me a price range? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
    Pm me and we can discuss.

also I would recommend reaching out to mike at yellow compass (from whom I secured mine). No affiliation. He’s just a straight shooter and honest dude. I didn’t even get mine with a ppi bc of his knowledge of the car and the previous owner.

3. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I STRONGLY agree with both of these comments.
    Kevin

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL, wait until you need customer assistance from fabspeed......

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Dealers are not usually too “flexible” when it comes to pricing. They probably bought the car for 85-90K did the service etc so they’re looking to make at least 10-15K on the deal. You’ll probably wind up paying 110K for the car. If you find it to be “the right one” don’t lose it for a few thousand. You’ll drive and enjoy it for years then lose very little when you finally go to sell it. They hold their value pretty well. BTW exhaust is definitely not OEM. Good luck with your purchase. Welcome to the addiction. :)

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have, and they provided excellent customer service. It does not change the fact that the products throw CELs left and right. It gets very tedious because each time you try something new, you have to reset the error and drive the thing 100 miles to see if the error comes back. Customers hate it when mechanics drive their cars hundreds of miles to "see if the error comes back."

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well I don't read that very often, good for you....living right...

8. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Dont worry too much about the price, like most others have said. If it checks the boxes, you will get less depreciation over time than just about any other car at this time. For aftermarket headers/cats, just get an ECU tune from 360trev and you will not have any cell issues. Go for it! You will not regret it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Then let me hear your experience.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't agree with this statement. What if they ask for $120K, or $135K ? What is the price point where you will say "no way?"
    I don't think this 360 is $107K, and my walk away price is $100K

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    In short, they promised in writing to warranty some cats that had gone bad on my fabspeed exhaust system. So I sent them in, the work was done re-coring them, then a different employee recinded the deal....so I told them, fine just send me my housings back because you lied to me....and they refused to send back my property. They literally held my own parts for ransom, even sent pictures of my housings. After a few weeks of not being able to drive the car, I felt I had to pay the ransom. Search this forum for plenty of consumer complaints.

12. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    As far as options go, this one only has a few. Notably missing are the shields and the Daytona seats. It has a few other bits and pieces missing like the car cover, the third key and fob and floor mats. I'm speaking with them to see if we can agree on price but there will be others if we can not.

13. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Went around the vehicle with a paint meter today and found out that the car's hood has been painted. I'm a half glass empty type so I immediately think it must have been in an accident. Upon closer inspection the hood is not 100% sitting correctly and the corner on the passenger side closest to the window is sitting slightly proud. But the metal fascia that sits just below the hood and above the bumper measures the same as the rest of the car. If it were involved in an accident it would make sense that this front fascia would also have been painted. Clean Carfax shows no prior damage history.
    I was pretty giddy with the idea of buying my first Fcar today but after discovering this issue I've gone cold. The dealer has agreed to have the car inspected at their shop with a body guy of my choice and they'll pay for it. They probably want to know if it has any visible signs of prior frame or body work as much as I do. Let's assume for a moment that the car has no evidence of crash damage and that one of the previous owners had the hood re-painted for any other reason. Let's also assume the dealer will put in writing that the car was inspected and shows no signs of previous damage. Does the re-sprayed hood affect resale value and if so, by about how much? If I decide I still want the car after it passes the inspection should I try and re-negotiate the deal? The car has not had a PPI but the dealer just did a major service with a bunch of other stuff that totaled about 17k.

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a bummer to find out but it could be a good negotiating tactic. You need to ask yourself if it really matters that the hood might have been resprayed. Are you buying the car as an investment? If so, it's the wrong car. 360's are not investment grade. They are driving grade. If you're buying the car to drive it, the number one thing that's going to drive down the value are miles on the odo. So if you plan on enjoying the car, you should know the value is going to drop just from that.

08bonnie likes this.
  15. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    #40 Bill ochrane, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    You say - "the dealer just did a major service with a bunch of other stuff that totaled about 17k."
    Keep in mind that if the "17k" is what a regular owner invoice would be it would be only about $5.00 US in dealer cost. LOL
    In other words, don't put too much thought with the so-called $17k service claim. That could mean they did an oil change - Double LOL.
    If you finally purchase a Ferrari you will learn that Ferrari dealers treat everyone as if they are gazillionairs, and present outrageous repair invoices.
    Off subject but something to remember.
    To eliminate many problems, always allow the Ferrari to run about 3 to 5 minutes before driving. Warm-up, and giving it time to go through its computer routine and checks are important.
    There will be electrical Gremlins. When these weird things happen, always either lift a battery terminal or use the battery disconnect switch. Let it rest for 30 minutes, reconnect, and let the computer reset routine have a chance to fix it. It will fix it many times.

16. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Sorry, too much of a generalization. I meant around the 100k mark vs say 90 -95k. If it's a great example and gets a good bill of health from an independent PPI. (not one that the dealer chooses) If it checks all the boxes, it's worth a bit of a premium to the right buyer. Just my opinion, but I didn't mean that he should pay whatever they ask... I think in this market/economy dealers are getting better prices so they aren't budging much, it will change on the next down cycle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think there is already a down cycle for cars. Nobody is getting $300K for a 360 Challenge Stradale.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Looks mint! Get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I always love these threads. Buy a car to own it for 2-3 years, drive it and then sell it. The "theory" is you buy a really good car and pay top dollar for it, then you drive it like 3000 miles (you can't drive more because it will loose value). Then what happens is the car needs things because it sat and wasn't driven, and then the 3 year mark comes and the economy dips and first sell price was purchase price + $10k. It sits. Then when it's $10k below purchase price, the owner then pulls it from the market and it sits in a garage, waiting for spring. Spring comes and then its sold at a loss. Then comes the complaining about how 360's loose a ton of money, etc. etc.
    If you buy a car and don't have to care about selling it or if it dies, or don't care if it breaks.. it's like that weed that grows in the garden. It lasts forever and will give you no problems. If you need it to maintain its value or anticipate it maintaining its value.. it will drop. It's like having to pee when you're driving and getting all red lights. My advice to anyone getting a 360 is to get one for one reason alone, to drive it and enjoy with absolutely no restrictions.

Zanny1, GSF355, Apollo 11 and 4 others like this.
  20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Bingo. Prices are only going downward from what I can see from the 2015-2016 bubble. If there are any economic headwinds it's going to get worse IMHO.

21. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    So I've had a chance to go through the available service history provided by the dealer. The summary is below, all figures are approximate and all work done by A.D. Records start in March of 2017 and go through November of 2019, when the previous owner traded the car.

2017 total spent $7130, of which $1300 for new front brake pads and rotors

2018 total spent $545 (wow, a great year!)

2019 total spent $23,701, of which in April the 2-year service was done and in November the Major was done, not sure why these were done so close together. Maybe so the dealer could sell the car for top $? The rest of the cost was in replacing a cracked left bank header, headlight ballast, RMS leaking and replace, Crank case mounts replaced. 2019 was not a good year.

So to keep things simple, the previous owner spent a total of $31, 376, of which, $23k was various B.S. stuff that broke and had to be replaced and the balance was scheduled maintenance and front brake replacement. In the 2 years and 8 months of ownership a total of 4,427 miles were driven. So the cost to operate this 360 Modena was approximately $7/mile ($31k / 4427). Even if you remove the 2 year service, the Major and the brake replacement, calling those items 'maintenance', the cost of ownership was still > $5 / mile. Of course the true cost of ownership would have to include depreciation but we'll never know that exact #.

Based on past records, I don't see why i would expect any different costs going forward. Sure, there may be an outlier year like 2018 but as time goes by the cost will want to hover close to the proven average. I know I have other options regarding service and I could use an Indie. But their rates are not too far off of the A.D. rates. Is this what it really costs to own one of these cars?

This is my first serious look into buying a Ferrari, did I just find a particularly troublesome example? I read somewhere on the forum that the average yearly running cost for these cars is closer to $3k, including service. Is that completely off base? Cause this car has cost its previous owner almost $1k / month in repairs and scheduled maintenance. The sale price is over $100k, at that money I would want a relatively trouble-free car and I certainly do not expect to pay $1k/month as it would really sour my ownership experience. Should I be looking at a newer car, maybe an F430 three pedal? Are those considered less costly to operate?

You can probably tell I've spent a good amount of time doing my research on this car but as I said, it's my first and only due diligence and I have no idea if this represents the average, better than average or is much worse. Please chime in. I haven't given up...yet.

Cheers!

22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Read this thread and the included links within. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/average-running-cost-for-an-f430.613890/

Also keep in mind these invoices are retail dealer ones, performed by an independent you would be looking at reduced or substantially reduced costs.

Given the age, there must have been some deferred maintenance and they had to bring the car up to a certain standard for retail sale. Is it fully sorted now? Possibly, but there could be another $5K bill lurking, it's something to expect with an older, high performance piece of Italian art.

Personally, I prefer a driven, maintained car over a low mile example with the potential to have problems down the road. These repairs of the 360 signal to me that it's been driven hard and now going through a refresh.

I've done a lot of F355, 360, F430 research prior to purchase and having been on F-chat and speaking with owners for years. The headache you seem keen to avoid is what led me on my journey to skip the F355 and into an F430. The stark difference in operating cost between the 360 and F430 never made the 360 enter the picture.

23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I didn't see if you plan on doing your own maintenance, use an indi or a F dealer. That makes a huge difference in your maintenance costs. If you feel gold plated and like free coffee and looking at new F cars, then the dealer option is your choice. If you don't mind a cheap office with plastic chairs and instant coffee, then a good indi mechanic is an option. If you have some experience turning wrenches and deciphering obtuse workshop manuals and have a decent place to work, then DIY maintenance is an excellent option.

>> The stark difference in operating cost between the 360 and F430 never made the 360 enter the picture.

I suppose this is true if you're going the F dealer router. The once every three year (or two, depending on your OCD) belt change is not required on the 430. If you're DIY, then it's not a big cost. Additionally, gated 430's are going to cost a HECK of a lot more than a gated 360 so that pays for decades of belt changes.

Looking at past invoices and extrapolating them into your future is futile. You might go 10 years without anything major. You might go 10 days and have something important break. It's a crapshoot with a 20 year old exotic car. You have to be ready to plunk down $20k for something major or go look at a Porsche. That's the price of admission.

What are your maintenance plans?

24. 08bonnie

08bonnie Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    I have absolutely nothing against a good indi but the dealer is very conveniently located close to my office. They charge $175/hr shop rate, I did speak to local Indi who seems to know what he is talking about. He quoted me a rate of around $150/hr. What's the going rate for a good indi shop?

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The dealer rate is $175 an hour? That is really cheap for the Bay area. The Porsche dealer in Palo Alto hourly rate is $245. I would assume Silicon Valley Ferrari and Ferrari of Marin County (SF) haver to be about the same.

The going rate for an indi shop depends on where you go. The Bay area rents are getting very high and a good indi has to charge $150 hourly to pay the rent up and down the Peninsula. Out in Indiana, may be $80. In upstate NY, South Main Auto charges $55 but he does not work on Ferrari.