360 - 1999 Ferrari 360 AC stopped mid drive | FerrariChat

360 1999 Ferrari 360 AC stopped mid drive

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ballvice, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Supposed to ship to crown rally tomorrow - drive to Caffeine and Octane - list AC - was rolling with the windows down - remote at the moment - checking you see if I can get into a shop - but asking the guys with more experience than I have if they have any quick check items.

Frunks already apart - no damage to internal hoses -

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    You have to look at the compressor and see if the clutch is engaged, then diagnose from there with that info.

one4torque likes this.
  3. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Agree - I’m guessing it’s the clutch - any obvious fuses to check?

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is a fuse. You may not be able to see the clutch to tell if it is working without a camera. A set of gauges goes a long ways to diagnosing the issue.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Skid— can you see the ac comp clutch from the cabin access panel?

6. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Just checked. Compressor isn’t engaging. Seeing if I can find a replay. Mine was hot AF

7. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    7.5a dude was popped. Put a new on in. Compressor engaged - popped it again

E60 M5 likes this.
  8. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Dude = fuse above

9. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I’m throwing in the towel - I have two backup cars for the rally - will buy a new compressor assembly and replace it when I return.

Hate the Stallion won’t make it - we out a lot of work into it :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I'm wondering what my A/C issue is. I had it recharged and it worked mildly well for a minute or two. Then it was hot air. Turned it off and back on, same deal. I only drive my car on cool days and evenings and mornings anyway, so I'm not worried about it. Dumb question: does the A/C not work when the car is in neutral? I have so much stop and go around here, that the car is coasting to the next line about half of the time.

11. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I watched a really good YouTube video about how much the clutch engages and disengages during a normal drive. It blew a 15 amp fuse quickly - so I’m pretty sure it is the compressor - I’ll just buy/rebuild this one with a clutch assembly - should be fine. Just stinks - we worked hard to get this car ready.

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The A/C does work in neutral. If the air blew cold, even for a short time, then I would say it's a major leak somewhere. However with that said, most compressors will shut off if the system is under charged (maybe over charged too, but not sure) so that may also be an issue. Not necessarily a major leak, but probably a leak somewhere.

13. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    It’s for sure the compressor coil. Got it checked out this am.

nothing local so this car won’t make the journey - we will get it sorted when we get back.

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    it blew cold for a bit last night, too. The darn ACs in these things have always been a joke even under the best of circumstances. And most of the cars are so sporadically driven, keeping an AC working properly is a lost cause IMO.

15. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball

I think you nailed it. These cars have to be driven - I bought it October and have been replacing wear parts that normally wouldn’t fail.

none of our cars are garage queens - this will be no exception.

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I might get mine out a couple times a week for a few miles. But there will be many inclement times over the winter where it doesn’t leave the garage for extended periods. I only enjoy the spider with the top down. I’ll have to really push it to hit 1500 miles a year.

17. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    We have done close to 3k since October - and will get more as the year goes forward...

18. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    I tho k
    I think I briefly spoke with you before you pulled out at Caffeine and Octane, bummer about the AC. Hope to do some drives when my F430 ships

19. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Oh yes- you JUST bought the 430 - correct?

20. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Sure did. Flying out now to California as we speak. Seller agreed to pay for a new clutch so test driving it then having it done this week.

21. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Check out crownrally.com - west

may cross paths if you’re driving it back

SpencerMarks likes this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I don't know about that... My 360 is an '03 so perhaps it's been upgraded in the newer model years(?) But my car is only for pleasure too. In Florida (like this past week) it rained constantly so the Ferrari sat in the garage since I don't enjoy driving on the wet roads and among a host of careless drivers that don't seem to adapt their driving habits to slick wet roads.

My A/C has always worked well and trust me, here in hot Florida, it gets a work out. So far over the past 3 years I've only clocked about 1300 miles a year. FWIW. But I will say, one time the vents seemed to be blowing hot air, like the controls on the dash were in the heater range when I had the A/C on. But it corrected itself it seems. Hasn't happened again.

Seems like the HVAC controls maybe? No way could you lose enough Freon to have the system blow warm and then miraculously blow cold again.

Although weird things can happen. Some time ago in my 911, the A/C just quit. No fan, no cold air, nothing. I got to work and shut it off and when I came out at the end of the day, voila, it was working just fine again-- and it never happened again in the following years I owned the car. Go figure.

23. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Yeah I’m not too worked up about it. I don’t drive when I would need the AC in anyway. Anything other than mid 50s to high 70s, it’s in the garage.

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It always worked well and blew ice cold. A set of gauges can tell you a LOT about what is happening. Compressor are pretty notorious on these cars for leaking. AC systems are not complicated: if the compressor works and it is properly charged EVERYTHING else is just pipes and such so nothing much to break. IF it has been properly charged and that changes then you have a leak. Leaks are easy enough to find with some dye.

OK, there are a few odd things that can happen like fans failing or the steppers that open/close the diverters but that is pretty rare.

KC360 FL and EastMemphis like this.
  25. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    I had a failed fan relay which apparently led to a compressor overheat.

The compressor has standard internals and was an easy rebuild.