1999 Driver 550 with 67k mi | FerrariChat

1999 Driver 550 with 67k mi

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was curious if the owner of s/n 115139 is on the 550 forum?

Sheehan has it listed and I didn't see anywhere in those postings if the "sticky buttons" had been addressed.

I've always been keeping my eyes open for a "drivers" level mileage 550ESPECIALLY in TdF......(I'd like to wait a few more years since the stable is still already so full), and my gut tells me for higher miles we should continue to see a softening.

Will be interesting to see what the market clearing price is for that Blue '99 550 given the miles but what looks like cosmetically (and well maintained) even with the high miles.

If anyone here has thoughts or history with the car it would be neat to hear more -- Thanks -- Eric

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rookie mistake -- should have searched by s/n

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147239466/

Found the historical for sale ad (I hadn't scanned that far back).

Car had the Sticky No More treatment and more than Sheehan posting noted. Looks like the owner shipped to CA.

Will be interesting to follow this one.

p.s. would have just deleted my post but "rookie" status so not sure how to delete a thread.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  3. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Kind of odd that Mike is representing that car now.
    When I bought my Blue/Bordeaux 550 through him he was knocking this one to me.
    Maybe it was just that this car wasn't necessary bad, but that my car was better.
    Just odd imo.

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Buy. Drive. Drive more. And more. And don’t sell. The car I admire the most is that red Lamborghini 400 GT in California that have about 200.000++ miles on it and one entusiastic owner for the last 20-30 years. That car is in top condition!! To own that car would be a real dream. Even If has men repainted and overhauled several times.67.000 miles on a well cared for 550 is nothing. They can run 2 or even 3 x that.

MRY and TJsBeer like this.
  5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    USED CAR SALESMAN

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    This is a better approach than boasting about being a caretaker and simply waxing the car.

Probably not that much difference in value between a 67,000 and 97,ooo mile car.

The car will bring Corolla DX money :D

308 GTB likes this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I buy it for DX money. And enjoy life.

ralfabco and Laserguru like this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- Except for the non-DX maintenance costs.

F456M likes this.
  9. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The owner of that 400 does all his own maintenance, one of the reasons it is still on the road in the condition it is in. Common parts aren't too bad, on the other hand some parts can get stupid expensive and make Ferrari parts seem cheap.... if you can get them. This is one of the reasons I sold my Miura, getting parts was getting just too difficult. It took 4 years to find/get the rear engine/tranny mount.

F456M likes this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My business partner har bought a huge old stock inventory of parts for the old Lamborghinis. They are located in Bonn, Germany. If you know people who need parts, we might have the parts and help.

Ryan S. and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I did re-look at Sheehan's posting and it does say "on consignment" at the bottom of the "history" tab.

I'm not sure why go through the expense of shipping it from Georgia to SoCal unless Sheehan has that many people in and out (physically) at his shop (could be).

It feels like we still have a long way to go for some of these values to come back to something reasonable. I'm optimistic given a few recent results on BaT but I guess time will tell on where this one will clear the market.

12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You're business partner should get in touch with Emilio on this board. Emilio has a following and moves all kinds of Lamborghini parts. Emilio is located in north Italy.

https://lamborghinichat.com/forum/threads/countach-lp400-vintage-photos.527463/page-21

Post # 503

F456M likes this.
  13. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    #13 dannyg, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    amazes me that whether a car has been de stickied is a talking point. honestly i dont think most people that can afford these cars should be buying them if they're that worried about small things like this. just buy the car and do it yourself if it hasnt been done.

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    ralfabco likes this.
  15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    “De-stickied” is just one thing to check off a PPI list. If someone just blindly buys they should be weary.

4 times I bought vehicles from photos and phone conversations only (still own 3 of those) and in 2 of those instances I flew one way and drove back. In those 2 instances one had $3k in unexpected minor issues and the 2nd was a major problem that cost $14k to remedy.

Ask questions. Always do a PPI if the purchase is a material amount of money.

Seems like it’s always good advice to help the ignorant and try not to dride them.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  16. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Maybe your car is indeed a better car...

and what are you? a used flea market parts salesman with all the parts you sell on here? You''d probably wish you had a profession like Sheehan's, all day playing with Ferraris and turning that into a living...Surely he's doing something right as he's been in the business for years & has a great reputation.

To answer the sticky button question, i saw this car today and it didn't have any sticky buttons.

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    you joined fchat last week?

if you need an explanation of what a used car salesman does / operates - google is your friend.

i have a day job, thanks.

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Not the first time I have heard this.

I offered a friend's father a black enzo years and years ago... He called sheehan and sheehan called it froth... Lol. Then proceeded to offer him a red car for more money. Gotta love it.

I don't blame him. I blame the guy taking the advice.

dannyg, Texas Forever and TJsBeer like this.
  19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is very surprising how hard and fast this has run up since Sheehan put it on Bring a trailer.

if this is what is going to happen on well maintained but strong mile 550’s then it only makes sense to take advantage of the softer 575M market where heavily optioned cars trade in the mid $80’s.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-ferrari-550-maranello-7/

Texas Forever and henryr like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BaT. It’s the new drug.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  22. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    JAYSUS, :eek::eek:I'm thinking about selling mine due to age and health issues. It has half the mileage of this one plus quilted shelf and headliner, factory shields, Full carbon package plus a lot of other options like 19" modulars new in boxes, no rubber components in fuel tank, 575 motor mounts, shock mount kit on all 4 corners, and a host of other MSW options. Cruise control, remote trunk opening via key fob, auto dimming rear view mirror, etc. The list goes on.

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    my buddies fcar brought $17k over reserve on BaT (not this 550)

funny thing is that it was out on autotrader, facebook and a couple other sites for OVER a year at the reserve price.

24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @ferraridriver Dave I'm going to direct message you.

25. dannyg

dannyg Karting

Oct 25, 2016
    @ferraridriver What do you want for it? would be interested myself