1998 550 Maranello "sorting" thread--DIY | Page 39 | FerrariChat

1998 550 Maranello "sorting" thread--DIY

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by moorfan, Aug 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. girgio

girgio Rookie

Dec 5, 2016
    Good morning, I write from Italy, I have a 550 Maranello like yours (1996), unfortunately you do not turn, why not get Gasoline (pumps do not light).
    I Verified:
    The electric voltage to the spark plugs is OK; relays C and D work and move when you turn the key; The inertial switch is OK; The CHEK is OK on the multi function display; The gasoline pumps do not light, the electric voltage arrives for a moment and then does not reach there.
    Can you help me? Thank you

2. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ciao Girgio,
    Interesting problem!
    You have verified that electricity is present in each harness that connects to the fuel pump covers in the boot?

Or is this the electricity that you say comes for a minute and then leaves?

3. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    Ciao girgio,
    Se mi scrivi in italiano posso provare a darti una mano, di dove sei?

4. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Moorfan. Was that your car I saw at Burlieghs about a year ago with recaro seats getting the bumper resprayed? I stopped by for something and was surprised to see a 550 as I thought I knew all in town

5. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sure was. Julian was respraying the front fenders...when I took those cheap ass stick on Scuderia shields off they took a bit of clear coat with them. :-(

6. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #956 fou, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    You know Julian retired? They are still in good hands. Best and only guys in town to touch anything from a beater to a nice car. Good choice. Those guys are tops. They did an entire respray of my old 911. Matched the color for real. Took almost 4 months and took it to almost bare metal. Best damn paint job I have ever seen. I have owned that car for over 25 years and used it as a daily. When air cooled prices started rising I decided to keep it. Looks even better than when it was new.

Those guys did a good job for you I suspect. Doubt you can even tell.

7. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good for Julian! This "working till I die" crap is so 1980's.

And yes you can tell...you can tell the OEM finish by the number of paint flaws they painted into it in Maranello.... :)

8. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #958 fou, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    The only Italian painters I know that are worth a **** died before 1600.

There was a guy who could do bondo, but he was asked to built a dome in Rome

He did a decent job, but it is starting to show age

9. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The Maranello pictured in this thread has been sold. I couldn't be happier with the buyer; he is a former 308 owner who appears to have a very similar love for the car and cars in general that I do.

She will be headed to her new home in Minnesota soon...apparently she's going to be serviced by Tim Keseluk (2NA) who by all accounts is a very high quality mechanic.

I wanted to thank every single person who helped me along the way with the service and maintenance of my car. I could NOT have done it without all of you, and will always look to this thread fondly as I enter another chapter of life. Maybe one day I will have a prancing horse in the garage again, who knows....

I hope that her new owner will at least periodically post updates on how the vehicle is doing to this thread.

Best wishes,
    Pete

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Congrats pete! Thanks for being a true asset to the 550 board. Let's hope to see you back in a ferrari in the future.

11. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    +1
    Pete you will be missed. Thank You for all you've done for us!
    Best,
    Bill
    FL

12. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

+550 :)

Pete, you've been a great asset here, as well as a friendly sounding board for many of us.

Don't become a stranger!!!

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Pete- Hope to see you back soon. Thanks for documenting all you did on your 550. Tell the new owner to stop by and say hello.

14. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You all have done FAR MORE for me than I ever did for you. I look forward to continuing to read this segment of the forum.

15. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Pete very kind of you to include me with these three other top tier forum members.
    Fairly certain I'm several levels below them with Maranello knowledge. Still learning daily...
    And I'd argue your above comment ;)
    This thread rates I think by many as one of the best in the last ten years. It's a source of reference rarely matched.
    Be Well.
    Bill
    FL

16. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ok,
    I'm the guy who bought Pete's car. Just a quick background - I sold my 308 QV @ Bonhams in January at Scottsdale and had owned it for 28 years. While I'm not a mechanic (or close to as talented as Pete) I knew that car very well, the 550 is totally unknown to me so I maybe leaning on you guys for so help.
    So far only two little items I'd like to fix;
    1. Courtesy light and red door lights don't work when doors are opened. I read the post about the 550 with same problem blowing out fuses - I've found the fuse box but cannot get the cover off - I did get to pry the side clip out of the bracket but the cover wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it too much.
    2. Passenger window binds up in the track after it is lowered all the way and then raised up. If it is lowered only 1/2-2/3rds the way no problem, so obviously the door card has to come off - are there any tricks to this?

17. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Hi Luca,

My 456 did the same thing and it turned out that the puddle light at the bottom of the driver's door had its wire connections inverted - from an earlier incorrect replacement installation. I switched the wires around and no more blown fuse. Easy peasy.

It may or may not be of any help to you, but I thought I'd share.

All the best!

18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #968 fatbillybob, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome Luca! Very glad you have come to continue Pete's work and thread. Congrats on buying Pete's superb Maranello.

On the lights I never noticed I even had those. I would start at the bulbs and work your way back

Fusebox pull back carpet. 2 screws on top edge about 180 degree turn they spring out and you can pull the top of the door down. The bottom is hinged.

Getting the door panel off look for 1 million screws. you need the door opener out and the pod that hold the switches
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete

I'm still here! I want to offer a little specific advice about this car's passenger door.
    1. GENTLY pop off the triangle cover at the front of the door card opposite the rear view mirror.
    2. Pop out the window switch...inside that little fiberglass pod are four #1 phillips screws. Unscrew them, and the pod comes off.
    3. on the upper roof of the map pocket are two long #2 Phillips that attach the armrest to the door card. Unscrew them, and slide the armrest backwards and it pops up.
    4. under the whole door card are two phillips screws that bind the door card to a metal bracket on the bottom of the door. Unscrew them.
    5. Inside the armrest well, you will see the two pushrods for the door latch and door lock. GENTLY pop loose the plastic hinges that retain these two pushrods and slide them out of their holes.

At this point, you can grab the door card by the arm handle and lift straight up in the same direction that the window goes up. It should pop loose.

The rubber window trim at the top of the door card that attaches to the door itself pictured as removed in Carl's post does NOT need to be removed.

20. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now with regards to the issue with the window. I knew this issue really well and never paid much attention to it, but unfortunately Bill has eagle ears and detected it on our test drive :)

When the window is rolled all the way down, and stays down for a while during a drive, when you first go to roll it back up it starts to roll slower than usual and then about a third of the way up you hear a "clunk" and then it travels with correct speed. My feeling always was that this was an alignment issue that I always vowed I would eventually work on but always forgot about by the time I got home ;-)

If it is NOT an alignment issue, it certainly could be an issue with one of the rebuilt window motor/regulators, although I doubt that.

Bill, once you get that door card off you will see the mass-loaded vinyl sheet that I placed to serve as sound and wind insulation. That is attached on by the combination of Gorilla Tape and having selected holes that allow it to be fastened by the window motor bolts.
    Gorilla tape is the BEST **** to use for this purpose. Forget the idea of using butyl rubber sticky crap like in a Japanese car (or MASKING TAPE like they had used in MARANELLO)

21. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now regarding the door lights, it is a seemingly more interesting issue than the basic stuff. I had checked:
    1. Bulbs are good.
    2. Wiring connections to bulbs "appears" okay on initial check.
    3. I never found any blown fuses in the footwell to explain this.
    4. The door switches that trigger the lights to come on (inside of each door's striker latch) tested well when removed.

I had suggested to Bill that he ask you guys for help specifically on this issue, because it sounds interesting and you guys are such an amazing group of helpful people! Had I kept the car, I would have been doing the same :)

P.S. Bill there are multiple fuse panels in this car from what I remember; the main fuse panel is under the passenger side carpet as Carl (fatbillybob) said.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Pete is right. I posted 1 wrong picture. Rubber windlace does not need to come off

23. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, you guys are great. When I get a chance I'll take a shot & let you know how I do.

Luca (actually that's my German Shepard).

24. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'm planning on replacing the stock exhaust with Tubi's. I've found a pair off a '98 550 so I believe there should be no problem.
    Just a couple of quick questions; will I need any gaskets or will they just bolt up where the stock units were? What do I do with the vacuum hose that triggers the valves in the stock exhaust?

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It has been a long time. I also have tubis. Iirc the old donut gaskets can be reused. Plug and tie up the old vac lines. In my car the exhaust was tight. I think I remember removing the rear bumper once to gain space. Another time i took out the midpipe when i removed the center muffler for more noise and power