1994 348 Spider All Gauges - Tail Lights Not Working | FerrariChat

1994 348 Spider All Gauges - Tail Lights Not Working

Discussion in '348/355' started by njrockman, May 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi All, kind of stumped. This is my first issue with this vehicle. All gauges went dead when I was driving and the tail lights, mirrors do not work as well. Checked fuses in their respective slots and nothing is blown? Could it be a relay instead? Maybe a fuse in a different slot? I checked both the footwell panel and luggage compartment panel as per the manual.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Anthony

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do your hazards work, Anthony?

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Relay "B" ("External Lighting") on the passenger footwell fuse/relay panel controls external lighting and instrument lighting. However, the hazard system bypasses this relay, so it's a good way of faultfinding.

Cheers

4. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I did beep the horn when the car was not running and heard some noises coming from the passenger side. Could I have shorted something out?

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Probably just hearing the horn relay.

Does the engine run? Do the headlights work? Do the hazards work?

6. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Yes. Engine runs, horn works, headlights work. Turn signals dead too along with the AC/heat fans etc controls

7. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    And I did twist the Battery Disconnect. Started car a little later for 30secs and I smell fuel /exhaust like it's running real rich.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    When you say "Turn signals dead", is that the lights themselves and/or the blinking indicator on the dash?

Also, any other recent work on the car?

Based on what you've said so far, this almost sounds like a wiring harness issue under the dash or in the front compartment.

I'd pull the front liner to investigate further.

9. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    It had a yearly oil change a month ago but I have driven it a few times since then. Turn indicators do not light up as the rear brake lights.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Mice during winter storage? They love to gnaw on wiring... and it wouldn't be the first time. ;)

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Anthony, could you clarify what you mean by all gauges are dead. Just the backlighting or the needles, too? If your needles don't work, you have more serious problems.

It's sounding more and more like the external lights relay (probably shown as relay "B" in your handbook), but we may need a little more information.
    The external lights relay provides power to instrument lighting, tail lights, HVAC ECU and more (although I can't see a tie-in with the mirrors yet).

P.S. Mike (probably) and I would still like to know if your hazards worked. There is a good reason we both specifically asked it. It's possible that your hazards work (by pushing the hazard button), but still have the turn indication inoperative.

12. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #12 Pangea, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Try the control relay for key operation. Step pad fuse box. 5th relay from the left. Top row. Thats in a euro box. Probably the same. Letter E. Had a similar problem and it was that. Worth a go.

Its a common relay in the box so try substituting to check.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  14. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Here is a link to my thread. Scroll down to the bottom. This shows a RHD fuse box so maybe reversed in your car.(Shows a LHD in my handbook) Looks like you have similar failures to me. I will say this fault was intermittent and occurred only occasionally and would clear after a short drive. Eventually it stayed long enough for me to diagnose by checking all the faults against the wiring diagram and tracing back. This relay was common to all. Substitution cured the faults. Not seen the issue since. It was a bit baffling at first.I would try this first before pulling your car apart. Who knows?

Ferrari 348 engine bay and rear end restoration. - Page 28

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

Good point. That was my second choice of relays :D Frank, try the windscreen wipers (ignition on). If they don't work, this will prove that relay "E" is not ok. Looking at the wiring diagrams, this relay also provides power to mirrors.

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    To confirm Pangea's comment, I traced the wires from relay "E" and the systems connected were:

Fan motor for cabin temperature sensor
    Tachometer power
    Oil pressure gauge power
    Speedo sensor and gauge power
    Water temp gauge power
    Power for numerous warning lights
    Power for aircon compressor clutch relay
    Left bank cat TCU power (would this cause the car to run rich?)
    Oil Temp gauge power
    Fuel quantity gauge power
    Turn Indicators
    Reversing lights
    Glovebox light
    Windscreen wipers
    Brake lights
    "Electric water pump for heating" (?)
    Aircon fan speed controller

... and probably a few things I've missed

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #17 Wade, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Figures ABB.4a and ABB.4b (pages L32 and L33 ) of the WSM's wiring diagram (348 Spider - Euro and USA) shows that Relay "e" receives power through its pin/blade 30. In other words, straight from the battery (152A - Positive battery connector).

Just so we're on the same page, Relay "e" (in the front compartment's fuse box) is primarily for the "Control relay for low beam headlamp actuation (BOSCH 0332014113)".

I'd suggest swapping two relays of the same type (0332014113 ?), and see if the problem moves. If the same symptoms occur, then check "152A - Positive battery connector". If the move, then obviously it's a bad relay.

Relay "e" is the same type as relays b, c, d and f (according to the wiring diagram). However, "b" shows as "available", which tells me it's a spare.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Well, everything on the car gets its power from the battery/alternator, one way or another. It's what activates the relay that determines when the device gets power (a switch, an ignition key, a control unit, etc). In this case, it's the ignition key in ON.

19. njrockman

njrockman Rookie

Sep 3, 2015
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    THANK YOU FOR EVERYONES HELP! I owe you all a round of virtual drinks!!!

After checking juice to all fuses and then trying the wipers and they did not work ... it was indeed Relay E. It took 2 seconds to swap out and BAM! Success!

Thank you all again!

20. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thats great. Happy it worked out for you.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #21 Qavion, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Strange, "B" is listed as "External Lights" in the workshop manual. The diagram I have also shows it powering fuse 10... Park lights, licence plates lights and instrument lighting. "B" also has dual contacts.

Lighting Diagram

Hope we're not putting Ferrari technicians out of a job here :D (I still need them)

Cheers

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #22 Wade, May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your diagram is really nice, thanks.

These wiring diagrams are always interesting. I didn't get a chance to review the rest of the relays, their differences and variations.

Following up, Page L25 of the Spider wiring diagram shows "Available" for Relay e. However, Page L26 shows "Control relay for actuation of external lighting".

Notice too that a different BOSCH relay is specified (0332014113 and 0332015006 respectively).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Excellent. So glad to hear about quick, easy and low cost repairs.

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting, thanks... I may have to add some precautionary notes to that diagram. Perhaps they incorporated the functions of relay B into another one (on later cars)... Relay "E" seems already overloaded however, controlling power to fuse 5, 6 and 7.

Work in progress...

Instruments Diagram 5b

(I may have made a few mistakes in this one... the colour codes are not clear in the original diagram)

25. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Ian, thanks very much indeed for sharing your enhanced wiring diagrams! If only the factory had been considerate enough to do that to begin with...

For what it's worth, I have the section of the original factory manual which includes the wiring schematics. The color codes on the originals are far superior to the PDFs, which are illegible in some cases (as Wade & I can attest from experience). If I can be of assistance in clarifying anything or confirming color codes feel free to PM me. I'm happy to do anything I can to assist you in creating your vastly superior schematics.