1992 348 Gas Tank Pressure! | FerrariChat

1992 348 Gas Tank Pressure!

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Jan 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys I've got a 1992 348 TS well maintained and runs perfect.... Until today! Took it for a one-hour ride and when I got to where I was going when I shut the car off I could hear a loud hissing sound coming from the engine bay. Couldn't find anything but I could smell fuel vapor. I decided to open the fuel tank cap and it was so hot it scalded my hand! That in and of itself was very worrying to me! As soon as I loosened it, the pressure equalized and the hissing sound stopped. Just for the heck of it I started the car and it started fine. I'm baffled on this one any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking maybe the charcoal canister could be clogged? But I'm not that familiar with the system.

2. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    PS. I did search the topic and there's not much out there most folks say this is normal but I got to tell you there was more pressure in this than a radiator and the fuel cap was just as hot if not hotter than a radiator cap which again is very worrying to me..... then again the fuel fill is directly above a header! It's just unbelievable how things are shoehorned in there!

3. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Do a search on 'Ernie" and his gas tank pressure woes... will explain everything. I've forgotten now but a valve, possibly the roll over valve, was the problem. The thread will walk you through with pics.

ernie likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I recall renting a F355 in Hawaii and having the same experience. I had to use a rag to unscrew the cap. I assumed this was normal because of the metal cap. When I finally bought a F355, I only ever filled up the tank a kilometer or two away from home, not giving the cap the chance to heat up.

5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Awesome guys.... will search tonight and report back! The pressure was unbelievable in this fuel tank I guess on a positive note there was no fuel dripping anywhere...everything was dry only Vapor. On the downside, vapor is more explosive than liquid gas!

6. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    ernie likes this.
  7. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Excellent write-ups by both Ernie and Jason! My problem is more like Jason's rather than Ernie as I have positive pressure. I disconnected the tank rollover valve and it blows through freely, unrestricted. Ufortunately I haven't tried it when the engine bay is hot as I realize that may affect its function so I'll do that asap. In the meantime a quick Google search and I found what looks to be a pretty awesome drop-in rollover valve replacement which actually is from the Mercedes 124 class!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Just an update: My charcoal canister valve is clear as well as the tank rollover valve... and they're both clear even when the engine bay is hot and at operating temp. One interesting thing, and I think Ernie touched on it, the 2 purge valves, when they are not energized with engine off, are normally open and when the engine is running (at start up cold) they are energized and closed. If you unplug them while running they open and the amount of vacuum from the engine is remarkable! I'm so stupid I forgot to check if they were open when the engine was hot at normal operating temp I'll try that and report back. But again, I was stunned at how much vacuum is created.... certainly enough to implode a flimsy fuel tank or charcoal canister. Again in my case I had massive pressure but I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic because it was an accident and I have a feeling that contributed to the problem because I've never really had the pressure in the fuel tank like this before so I'm having trouble recreating it. But evidence looks like my Purge valves are not opening for some reason....ie not energizing.

Koenig1, JasonS and Qavion like this.
  9. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    See if someone you know has a scanner that might be able to turn the purge valves on/off through the ecm
    This will let you know the the ecm can control them
    The gas cap will only let air in and for pressure build up the charcoal canister will vent to atmosphere the idea is the charcoal a tracks and holds the gas vapors till the engine pulls a vacuum on the canister burning off the vapors

10. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    This system is so ridiculously engineered... with catastrophic consequences like what happened to Ernie If a purge valve gets stuck open. Im actually considering just leaving my gas tank lid slightly loose. This will keep too much pressure from building up and will also prevent vacuum from building up in the event of a valve failure.