1991 Mondial T Cab opinions | FerrariChat

1991 Mondial T Cab opinions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 4ARI, Jun 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    Guys,
    I am on the verge of buying my first Ferrari. The one that interests me is a 1991 Mondial T Cab. It has 44,000 miles but has had 3 major services in it's life. The most recent one was just done at a cost of $6000. I know the dealer selling the car and I trust him 100%. It is red/tan and is in great shape. Only some bolster wear which can easily be touched up.
    It comes with tools and manuals etc. Also, the previous owner spent $7000 upgrading the AC system and I'm told it works great (better than any other Ferrari around).
    It is priced at around $38,000 which seems very reasonable for a 1991.
    Will the 44,000 miles hurt me in a few years if I choose to sell?
    Thanks for your opinions.
    Ron
    www.ronsusser.com

2. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ron,

I think that's a great price for a '91 t cab and really 44,000 mi. is not alot of miles especially if it has been serviced properly. It might hurt you some in the future but what the hell drive it and enjoy it and let the chips fall where they may!

3. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    The major service does not cover transmission and clutch work nor suspension inspection and/or repair. It also does not cover electrical issues. I have a 1989 Mondi t cab and I went through all of this. Some ideas:
    1. Get a PPI. Also: When was that last major done? 3 months ago? 3 years ago?
    2. Open and close ALL the windows a dozen times.
    3. Make sure each switch does what it is supposed to do.
    4. The clutch should engage just off the bottom of pedal travel and move no more than a couple of inches to full engagement and do so crisply and linearly. Mine didn't. It had a gentle engagement through a 6 inch (guess) travel. Made it easy to drive but I just spent $2100 on a new clutch plus labor.
    5. For the test drive, start the car COLD. This is Motronic 2.5 so don't touch the throttle. The car should start in <1 second.
    6. Drive the car enough to get the water and oil temp gauges to normal levels. Watch for wild fluctuations.
    7. Turn off the hot car and restart. This should take <1 second. If it doesn't and/or you hear a clatter from the rear -- imagine metal pie plates in a metal box -- then you have "rattley flywheel" problem. Search this site for what that means.
    8. Inspect the convertible top latch anchors on the windshield. Ensure they are bolted tight, that the screw heads are not stripped, and the anchor isn't worn down.
    9. Drive the car with the top up. Listen for squeaks and rattles. It will make some, of course, but some WD40 might fix.
    10. Ensure you can put down the top AND affix the boot cover properly. This is a combo of technique and ensuring the awful little pin-latch things are working.
    11. Did the car come with a spare? This was an option, or so I'm told. If not (like mine), then there's no jack either. Keep those flatbed numbers programmed on your cell phone.

See if the dealer will give you a 90 day warranty.

$38K is a good price for a 44K miles car IF the car is well-sorted. I would have priced it at $42K but that may be East coast plus dealer 90 day warranty.

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    2.5 was only on '89 and a few early '90s. Should be a 2.7

5. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    True! I meant that the EFI will take care of things upon startup.

On that subject: Is there a definitive difference list between 2.5 and 2.7?

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Buzz, There is a lot made about the diff between 2.5 and 2.7 and buyers told to pass over a '89 mondi because of it...I have been told that in the USA models the major ( I wouldn't say only) diff. is software related to smog emmissions and not affecting performance in any major way ( yes I know that it MUST affect perfo. if it is controlling emissions but those who said they knew better than me ( not sellers of 2.5 mondi's!) didn't think the diff was major at all. I will look for the source and see if i STILL HAVE THE REFERENCE...some also say reliability.

7. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    38 K sounds like a 'smoking' deal if the car is what you say it is. I go along with Buzzm205 with the 42k pricing...actually if it is really nice I could even see it as priced higher. One here on the west coast that was in average condition just sold for 50k..and I think that might have been a 89 or 90 red and tan.

If it passes muster, grab it and run...

8. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    Thanks very much for all of your opinions and insights.
    The most recent service was just done in early June. I have a copy of the receipt for $6000. I"ll have to inspect it carefully to see what was done exactly. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger and will let you know.
    THanks,
    Ron