1988 Mondial? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1988 Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Jul 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #26 Rapalyea, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    Here is a detailed DIY description.

Carls Tech Tip #6

PS: The 3.2 QVs are among the last of the 'simple' Ferraris. Specifically, they use mechanical Bosch K jetronic with an oxygen sensor, but very little in the way of serious modern electronics. I am not familiar with the T Mondials. Here is a link that describes the evolution of the Mondial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Mondial

One item of note is the T requires an engine out for belt replacement. [gulp] Good shade tree mechanics can do the belts on the earlier versions without engine out. As for how long the belts ACTUALLY last in real life? My mechanic said to replace them every 10 years whether they need it or not. We have reports of bad belts on this forum. Two or three anyway. I sort of remember my consternation that none of them broke with high mileage. If wrong please correct me. I researched these belts and they look like they could be Mil Spec from an Abrams Main Battle Tank.

It is of interest to me because I have already put about 4,000 miles on new belts in the last three months. I would not worry about 'three years' but if I keep this up it will be LESS then three years for my car to hit 15,000 miles. However, I know these cars are about 50% smoke and mirrors I suspect the belts would actually last 10 years. New belts whine like banshees and the owner will really believe he has done something important. Mybe so. Maybe not. Since I would like some oil resealing and a couple of other things I probably will have them done anyway.