1988 mondial convertible i bought | FerrariChat

1988 mondial convertible i bought

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jamesdean, Mar 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesdean

jamesdean Rookie

Mar 22, 2009
    Horseheads N.Y
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 jamesdean, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
    I puchased this 88 mondial that has been dealer serviced with all service records(33) pages in all
    from a place called RC automotive.the car had a major service in 05 which was about 9K miles ago
    They advertised the car at 29K i bought the car for $22,600 tell me your thoughts,i hope there good
    its bought and paid for.They faxed me a the service records for the car starting in 88.

Car can be viewed at rcautomotive.com

I am listening,and thanks for the responses on my other post
    Dave

2. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #2 cockrill, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
    Congratulations on the purchase! Mondials are great cars, and a 3.2 convertible is near (or at) the top in demand.

If the car runs well, has no major issues, etc., then you got a GREAT deal. It may be due for the timing belts to be replaced (depending upon who you talk to) due to age, but almost all of them for sale need this service.

Post photos!

--Jeremy

p.s. Subscribe to FChat as soon as you get a chance. It is money very well spent!

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    http://www.rcautomotive.com/detail-1988-ferrari-mondial-cabriolet-3821365.html

Looks pretty nice - I think you paid a fair price. The interior looks much nicer than average for 38K miles in a softtop. I like the 3.2 -- probably Ferrari's best drivetrain in terms of long term reliability.

Not sure what city you're in, but because it's an old car and the last service was 4 years ago you might want to have the fuel lines inspected before you do a lot of driving. Ditto the coolant hoses.

It's due for a timing belt service, which you probably know. If you fill out your profile and indicate what city you're in, people here could probably recommend a local independent Ferrari tech for when you decide to have the work done. No pics of the engine bay, so it's hard to tell how clean it might be.

Good luck and congrats.

4. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    Ruh, roh, says Shaggy.

I had a PPI done on that car. I hope you did, too.

5. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Don't hold back, now... what did you find?

6. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    JamesDean - I have no idea what OCFerrari knows, but you may want to PM him on that post.

First of all, Congratulations! I like the car VERY much. It is a beautiful example of one of the more collectible Mondials. Enjoy driving it!

That being said, expect to shell out money next year, which is a normal interval-part of ownership for all Ferraris. The reason being, is that timing/cam belts should be replaced every 5 years (REGARDLESS of mileage).

Have you already found a trustworthy Ferrari shop in your area? If so, get a cost-estimate from them. If not, there are regions listed here on F-Chat, and you can ask fellow F-Chatters within your region for the best Ferrari shop near you.

Again, congratulations! It looks fantastic in the pictures!

7. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Welcome in the club!

Congratulations, I think you got a great deal! Give us your first driving impressions with lots of pictures!

I always loved the Mondial! :)