1988 Mondial 3.2 brake issue with antiskid | FerrariChat

1988 Mondial 3.2 brake issue with antiskid

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rcardare, Jul 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rcardare

rcardare Rookie

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Hi all,
    Just became an owner of a beautiful 1988 3.2 Mondial and need to address a brake issue. On hard brake the car was noted to lock up the front drivers side brake and pull left. Both calipers rebuilt and noted that brake fluid wasn't coming out of the bleeding screw on right caliper. Traced it back to master cylinder /hydraulic unit and only the port that delivers brake fluid to that passenger side caliper had no fluid coming out when presong the brake pedal. Other ports OK.

You all think just replace the "brake hydraulic system" or any other suggestions?

Thanks for any thoughts or input!!!

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #2 Alden, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    "Passenger side, right side, drivers side, etc" are meaningless unless we know if your car is right or left hand drive.

Please give us a little more data and we can probably help you diagnose the problem before you go and replace the entire "brake hydraulic system." Whatever that means.

All the more reason to fill out your location data for newbies.

The "you all" makes me think you are from the Southern USA, but we true "sons of the south" would spell it "y'all," lol.

Hang in there, lots of help here.
    Alden

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Sounds like the air is not bled out enough through the master cylinder

so it locks up on the right side and pulls left?

what made you do the rebuild in the first place?

assume you are using a vacuum to bleed the brakes?

how does the clutch feel?

4. rcardare

rcardare Rookie

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Thanks for the replies! Lived in Texas for 14 years...now in KY y'all☺:) . so It's left sided driving car.

Dfranzen-it appeared it was locking with a hard break On the left side and pulled left. The gentleman I bought it from had just rebuilt the right caliper but did not do left. Hence, I did it without issues but found some gummed residue and particulates when piston removed. I am using a vacuum as well. The clutch was firm and would easily go down when I bled the left side. Wouldn't go down on the right.

There is no fluid coming out of the port on the brake master cyclinder (which the catalogs call is the brake hydraulic system for the ABS).

THANKS!!!

5. rcardare

rcardare Rookie

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I meant to say no fluid coming out of port FEEDING the right caliper/brake. Thanks!

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    See your other thread before sourcing a replacement system. :)

7. rcardare

rcardare Rookie

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Thanks for all the great info and contacts. No one is rebuilding these from the contacts above and wanted to post so others knew as well.

Since the issue is only on the right front brakes.... That, is, no fluid leaving from the hydraulic unit, can it be an electrical issue? I've been reviewing all the great resources provided and there may be something going on that the unit senses (or not sense) that keeps the fluid from flowing out on the one line?

Has anyone experienced anything like that?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    From experience bleeding the '88 3.2 I know the vehicle needs to be powered up (ignition "ON" and the ABS system whirring until panel lights go out, etc.) before you start to bleed at the caliper(s).

9. rcardare

rcardare Rookie

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Thanks 308mon. Plan to rebleed system using the steps provided in other threads and your rec.

10. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    The first time I bled one with the ABS system I nearly tore my hair out trying to get fluid out of the bleed nipple. Powered up and all went well then.

BTW: watch the fluid levels in the reservoir when you bleed the system and make sure the levels are kept up and equal across the reservoir compartments.

11. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  12. rcardare

rcardare Rookie

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Just an update....Followed all the recs but unfortunately there is still no brake fluid coming out of the right front caliper. Will try to bring it in.

Bummed as no place I found has these brake hydraulic units nor rebuilds them so far that I found.

Thanks all!