1988 412 Service/Workshop Manual request | FerrariChat

1988 412 Service/Workshop Manual request

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Krician, May 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Krician

Krician Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Hello, I am a mechanic in training. So far I helped rebuild three Maserati Biturbo's, a Alfa Romeo GTV 6, a Alfa Romeo Spider and now I was assigned to help on a 1988 Ferrari 412. My boss (shop owner) has hundreds of workshop manuals for Alfa's, Porsche's, Audi's, MB's, and many more. Sadly he does not have a workshop manual for a 412. I've looked through the web before posting here and I see that there was no manual for the 412 and to use the 400i manual? What is the difference? I know the problem with the 412 is that we (a co worker and I) cannot remove one of the cylinder heads (the owner overheated the engine) so the studs basically welded themselves to the head. It's been in our shop for 3 months now and we need to get it done. My boss assigned me to look for the Service manual (preferably in PDF format) so we can get all specifications on the motor. Thanks.

2. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
  3. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    You will need to make a head puller to get the head off - they are renowned for being difficult. To get a general idea of how to do this take a look at http://www.tomyang.net/cars/headpuller.htm. This is for a different Ferrari engine type but you will get the idea. Perhaps if you put a little more detail in your profile, such as your location, someone here might have something they could lend you.

You will also need plenty of penetrating oil and lots of patience.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is actually a PN for a 412 manual but if you order it, it comes attached to a 400i manual.

The 412 uses the same ignition system as the TR. It has quite a few differences electrically but there is an electrical diagram book for it, Cat 441/86. 412 also has Bosch ABS.

Other than that it is in most ways the same as the 400i.

5. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I have been through so many old posts here about service manuals & have downloaded the 400I service manual from lots of different sites around the net. I have purchased the disk off Ebay & every copy I have is missing sections C,D & E. They all jump from B to F!

I am about to rebuild the diff from my 400I & would like to get this section of the manual first if anyone is able to help out. I don't mind paying for the manual but I do not want to purchase another that is missing these sections.

Regards Al

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I think I have those sections, Al. I'll be able to check on Saturday and will PM.

7. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    That would be great. Thanks for the reply.

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    PM sent

F_M_F_M likes this.
  9. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks all. I now have the information I was after.

Cheers Al

10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #11 Il Tifoso, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Reviving an old thread here since I seem to be running into the same issue - all workshop manuals I’ve managed to get a hold of jump from section B to section F... need to do some oil system diagnostics on my 412 and really need to get a hold of section C (others would be nice to have as well).

Anyone have any leads here please?

Thanks!

Ruben

11. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  12. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks Jean-Michel for sending section C!

Even though I don’t immediately need it, does someone else have sections D and F?

If someone needs other sections (aside from D and F), let me know and I can share.

Cheers!

Ruben

13. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi Ruben,
    Thanks. I have section D (in two PDF files) and section F (one PDF file).

14. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    PM’d thanks!

Ruben

15. Michael711

Michael711 Rookie

Aug 30, 2019
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael Schwarz
    I would be very interested, too!
    Would you send me to: schwarz71(at)web.de?
    That#ll be great !

16. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Have a look at Erwin's googledrive (see post https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145737999/ ).

That's for the 400i gen1 and gen2. 400i gen2 is pretty close to the 412. The differences I can think about are : different trunk, 82mm cylinder bore, ABS, matching rims, specific ignition, and specific inlet camshaft timing. Maybe a few other undocumented differences...

17. Michael711

Michael711 Rookie

Aug 30, 2019
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael Schwarz
    Great resource!
    But I had the hope that the workshop manual mentioned above had more "mechanical" information than the users manual.

18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    It is a bit puzzling as indeed, the Owner Manual has quite a lot of detailed specifications not provided by the workshop manual, such as how much refrigerant oil to put in the AC system, amount of anti-freeze, camshaft timing, etc. Reading the various owners manual is quite interesting as on the earlier models Ferrari was providing more latitude (eg: tire pressure from 2kg to 3kg, anti-freeze from -5°C till much lower) whereas the manuals for the latest models do only provide one recommended setting. So f you want to tune the car, the OM is the way to go, whereas the WM (workshop Manual) is only dedicated to assembly/disasembly. The part catalog has a few interesting diagrams also.

There a few other interesting sources of information: F400parts.com sells some kjet refurbishing kits, together with a free to download k-jet maintenance procedure. Paul Bennet sells a good electric diagram (but for the 400 gen 1). Tons of information on this forum also...

19. Michael711

Michael711 Rookie

Aug 30, 2019
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael Schwarz
    Thank you, raemin, for your help!!
    I am trying to get all information I can get :D
    MY specific problem is that the electrical motor closing the trunk of my 412 is not working. The trunk is closing mechanically, but won't be drawn the last 2 cm by the eletcrical motor. (useless feature)
    In the user manual no fuse is mentioned in the fuse box. That would have been the first look ... but I have no information which fuse /relais is the right one.
    I tried contact spray on the wiring, but that does not help.

20. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As said, the trunk with the Cadillac electric gadget is specific to the 412... So is the wiring diagram that is unfortunately not included in the owner manual (the older manuals do include such a diagram). The 412 comes with the "new" relay box (actually the one that has plagued all the Ferraris of that era), so the electric setup is quite different and the older 400 diagram are not likely to help. With a bit of luck the ground is faulty? that's an easy fix.

If you come up with a diagram, would be nice to post it here...

21. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

Hello Michael, there is a PDF version of the 412 Wiring Manual at Maranello Literature, the download link costs 15€.

http://www.retromobiliart.com/maranello-literature/product_info.php?products_id=4491&language=en&osCsid=102c449fcf39e82f6101759e1cf46e8f

Michael711 and raemin like this.
  22. mkextremer

mkextremer Rookie

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Antoan Ferrari
    Any chance you could send me this manual? For the 412?

23. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hi Antoan - I sent you a PM to get your email

24. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I would also be interested in the 412 manual.

Thanks