1988 3.2 Mondial Coupe (Red/Tan) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1988 3.2 Mondial Coupe (Red/Tan)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Michael P. Messina, Sep 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    I think the reason 912 prices have taken off is due to the fact that the pricing for early, SWB 911s has gone through the roof and taken the values of 912s with them. The 912 has historically been the lowest cost entry into longhood (especially SWB) ownership. As the number of affordable, early 911s has decreased, the demand for the 912 has increased while the supply has remained fairly fixed. Along the way, I believe people realized the 912 wasn't just a little brother to the 911, but a competent car on its own.

I believe the same thing is going to happen to the Mondial. As you mention above, they're all cool cars whether an 8, QV, 3.2, or T and people are slowly catching on. It may have been the entry level F Car (from a used market perspective) for many years, but I believe they'll be respected on their own merits before it's done.

2cam

davemqv likes this.
  2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    2cam likes this.
  3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

My experience is the same. I've taken my old girl to almost every local event that I could, in the past 3 years. Big shows (1000+ cars), small shows, cars and coffee, exclusive shows, Italian only shows, Mixed shows, European car shows. Everything under the sun. Never has there been any disrespect shown my Mondial. I've been parked on a lot with 20+ modern Ferraris and 20+ modern Lambos and 20+ Mclerans -- no disrespect from those owners. What's kinda funny is that at the larger shows, my Mondial is usually the only one there, so it's sort of unique in a sea of modern Italian and German exotics. At one C&C I was parked between a Mcleran P1 and a brand new 488 - no "special parking" section for Mondials. Lately, I've begun to see more Mondials come out to the shows. It's great seeing 3 or 4 Mondials show up. At one show, we almost had the entire range represented - an 8, my QV and a 3.2 were present.

I was new to the collector car scene 3 years ago, and I was somewhat tentative at first in going to my first show. I had read about the "slow" Mondial, the "not a real Ferrari" articles, etc. However, none of that showed up at the shows. What I got was a lot of interest and enthusiasm. Now, I really enjoy taking the old gal to every show that I have time for.

Sid

paulchua likes this.
  4. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Couldn't have said it better myself my friend!

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's true, the Mondial could stay in the doldrums forever. No doubt about it.

Even more reason to drive em like you stole em, and not worry about 'miles' on er'

I've read too many owners worried and documenting every single mile for fear of depreciation. I feel blessed it's not something I have to be concerned about.

7. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Driver seat has been redone incorrectly, passenger seat should have been, rear plastic on convertible top is faded, paint has blemishes, why is the engine wet?

These are my observations in 10 seconds of looking at the photographs. My guess: $38k

8. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Just commenting on the water -- It appears that the car was either just washed, or photographed just after a rain.

You can see water dripping off of various body panels - small pools on the ground. In some of the closeups, you can see water droplets on the body panes.

Sid

9. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #59 Russ Gould, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    and this one will test the opposite end of the spectrum .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/132369121067?ul_noapp=true however you bottom fishers, I wouldn't bid on this as it smells like a stolen car to me (who buys a running Ferrari, loses the title, and then lets it sit for 10 years? I mean you can get a replacement title for $50 .. and he states the car ran .. so what's the real reason he never registered it?)

10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    The only feasible explanation is that the buyer had a fallout with the seller after getting a misrepresented car, lost the title, and was unable to get the seller to cooperate and apply for a duplicate/lost title. He didn't register the car because it was a basket case and had no paperwork other than the lost title to prove his ownership...If this were the case, it should be explained in the auction and since it isn't, I would stay far away!

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    He says he thought he was getting a mint car ... every Ebay ad has photos ... presumably the seat self destructed and the rusty ding on the rear end got there while the car was sitting in storage then? Or perhaps it was sitting in the sun and the weather until the time came to take the photos?

Anyway the NICB vin check comes back clean so perhaps there is another explanation. Like crashed valves?

12. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Oooooh......Pretty Blue.............

Just kidding. However, if it doesn't go much over the current $1350, I might be interested. At that low amount, risking a title or stolen car issue doesn't bother me too much (although it might bother the wife a whole lot more)

There's no pics of the engine bay, so perhaps "not running" really means - no drivetrain?

Looks like a "fun" retirement project. Gonna keep my eye on it.

Sid

On the other hand, there's this beauty on bringatrailer: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-fiat-130-3/

Decisions, decisions.......

13. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I asked him for the name and contact info of the prior owner and he has not replied ... not even to say "I lost that information".

Anyway judging from your screen name SIDTX you are in TX and as you know TX is not amused by such stories. They require the title, no matter how old the car is.

14. docvb

docvb Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Great question--what is the value? My '87 cab is hovering at 100K. She still drives beautifully.

I'd have a limited servicing with timing belts and fluid changes done at a local indy shop. Continue to drive it regularly--continuous Italian tuneup--and have a local body shop give you an estimate for bodywork.

It is, after all, just a car. And a local body shop may give you a better than expected price for the novelty of doing a Ferrari. Mine did after a minor mishap a few years back.

Who ever said, on their deathbed, they regretted putting too many miles on a Ferrari?

15. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    The red Ebay T cab one year since major sold for $34K ... establishes the top of the current market for nice drivers. There is another one, QV cab, on Ebay with Speedline wheels that is currently around $30K but has some days to run.