1986 mondial 3.2 need to up date rims | FerrariChat

1986 mondial 3.2 need to up date rims

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by prokustoms, Aug 31, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prokustoms

prokustoms Rookie

Aug 30, 2013
    grandrapids Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a 1986 mondail 3.2 want to up date the rims not sure what will fit. Would like to stay with oem rims. Just not happy with the trx tires any more Looking at 2002 Ferrari 360 Modena rims they have same bolt patterns, but will i need longer wheel bolts. Hope you guys can help. Thanks

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    348 wheels seem to be cheapest oem upgrade. That gets you into 17" rubber too.

355 wheels look great i think, but seem to be most $$

360 wheels work too. Though some have just used 4 fronts wheels all around for better clearance issues.

3. prokustoms

prokustoms Rookie

Aug 30, 2013
    grandrapids Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    They all look good on the mondail as far as the 360 wheels wasn't sure on the clearances for the rears. How about the bolts. Longer? Thanks for the help if anybody needs any rear trx tires got 2 seats of rears in very nice shape one set new 2 years ago think there's 150 miles on them.

4. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Here are a few tips for installing rims and tires other than original:

Check offsets; spacers may be necessary. Hill Engineering is a good source for spacer sizing. If you use a wider wheel in the rear, offset the front wheel to align the treads.

Buy new bolts. Chances are you will need longer or shorter bolts, and the correct depth of the bolt in the hub is very important for safety. Also, old bolts weaken over time.

Allow ample wheel well clearance for a fully loaded car (4 passengers, cargo, fuel). Mondial T's have less rear wheel clearance than earlier models.

Choose a rim and tire combination as close to the original diameter as possible. Raising the height of the car may have unwanted aerodynamic effects. Larger or smaller wheel diameter will result in a less accurate speedometer.

Fill the tires with nitrogen; it's a small up-charge but the tire will maintain a more consistent pressure.

Re-align the car after you install new wheels.

Good luck - post some pics of the new wheels :)

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    FWIW I have 348 wheels on my car and have been well loaded with 5 people(yes 5) and a full trunk and never had clearance problem. In my opinion they are the best looking on a Mondial because they DON'T look like upgraded wheels and no mods needed. 360 wheels are very nice but on a Mondial you can tell they are not original on the car and they need some machining to be correct.

6. prokustoms

prokustoms Rookie

Aug 30, 2013
    grandrapids Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    See what u meen on the 360 wheels looking aftermarket but they do look great onthere, i put a set of 348 rims on the car to me didnt look right. They do look good on your car for sure good luck on the sale great price i paid about that much for mine in 93 had 6000 miles on it then. Has 9000 on it now. Machining what the rim? Not sure. Thanks for your time guys been very helpfull.

7. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I used later 16 inch Mondial rims on my 1982 and they use the same bolts. Does put wider 16" tires on the back and convex vs flat face. Drives better than the TRX's. T Rutlands has some aftermarket 16 inch rims that maintain stock look--around $1600 could give them a call about bolts etc.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    For the 360 rear wheels to fit properly they have to be shaved a bit on the back for the offset.

9. prokustoms

prokustoms Rookie

Aug 30, 2013
    grandrapids Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #9 prokustoms, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    I see what you mean there a little bit thicker on the back. Seen the later modail rims thought they were harder to get. I put a later t back together about 4 years ago ran into a guard rail put the 360 rims on it dont remember shaving the back of the lug plate