1986 328 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes - that is correct

Jedi

2. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Thank you Jedi. I’d like to get a 88.5 or 89 but I’d consider previous years due to the fact that majors do not require engine out. I’ve been looking at a few 86’s and 87’s that have around 40 to 50k miles. I’m not afraid of cosmetic work. I’ve restored a number of cars. It’s the engine work I’m not familiar with. After a ppi I’d most likely go directly to a certified Ferrari shop and do a major. I’ll research the most common things to upgrade and have them done as long as we’re at a major.
    Your expertise is appreciated.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The 328 is a very solid car.... however there are a few weaknesses...

1. make sure belts are changed every 5 years / 15k - 20K miles.
    2. flush fill brakes annually - same with coolant
    3. Electrics are its big issue. the fuse / relay boards are getting old and you will find some anomalies with these cars - usually traced back to electrics ... the fuse board by birdman is a great upgrade. ignition caps and plug wires and extenders are good for 10-15 years ... eventually you need to replace those
    4. Engine hoses - need to basically change those every 10-15 years ... lots of heat causes them to dry out. its a KJet engine so vacuum is key to keeping it running smoothly.
    5. A/C - well when its working perfectly - its not up to much... but to keep it working perfectly you have to constantly look at the compressor and keep it sealed ... and the barrier hoses get brittle and need to be replaced. if you use anything other than R12 ... you will have to refill the coolant every 6 months...
    6. suspension is expensive to re do... but usually needs a refresh around 70K miles.....
    7. a 328 should NOT overheat ever. if it does there IS a fault. mine never overheated in heavy humid dense Atlanta Traffic... It was hot inside, but engine never ran hot.
    8. Lights are not a strong suit.... they usually require an upgrade to make it tolerable at night
    9. fragile interior switches... the AC switches and heating vent switches are UBER hard to find. and very expensive.....
    10 Leather is fragile as well... but can be brought back to life .... carpets don't wear well.
    11. Fuel lines should have been replaced by now... old ones get cracked... leak vapor & cause fire. ....
    12. "electronics" are not that advanced... and usually suffer from corrosion or loose connections - the electric system is weak the wiring and connectors are prone to failure a lot... again Electrics are very Italian..... I would say in 15 years of 328 ownership - 90% of my problems stemmed from poor connections or burned connections, cracked wires or solder joints coming undone.
    13. Steering column switches are SUPER fragile... and hard to find.... but fixable.....

As a car the 328 is the ultimate in a true Sports Car... in the old sense of the word. its not the fastest anymore, but it still turns heads.. .and is simply beautiful.

4. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Hello Spirot.
    This is phenomenal!! Thank you. It is this kind of advice I'm looking for. I know what to accept and in turn, keep a classic on the road.
    Thank you to all the others who have given me advice. Ferrari Chat is a great place for help, what's going on in the industry.
    --
    "The best teachers are those who have already learned"
    Thanks Guys.
    Kent

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

The Key to loving a Ferrari is a positive ownership experience. Being fearful of driving the car is an awful way to go. So any way I can help I'm happy to do. I've had a terrible first Ferrari experience with a 308QV... and a great experience with my 328... and so far great experience with my 599...

the one thing that I do agree with 100% is the more you use the car - the better reliability it has. cars that sit for a long period of time develop issues. I guess its a bit like people. if you sit around all the time and then are asked to physically perform... its not going to work out so well.....

6. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    I agree. Enjoy the auto.
    When I'm not training for a triathlon and then I get back on my bike it feels like I took off 3-4 months.
    Have a great weekend.
    Cheers.
    Kent