1986 328 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kent Dellenbusch

Kent Dellenbusch Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    A quick search of the VIN (ZFFWA20B000059899) brings up a recent (?) ad for when the car was in Virginia. A phone number to call is in the ad as well.

http://classiccardb.com/ferrari/509668-1986-ferrari-328-gts-euro.html

I'd venture to say that this car needs a full service, and new leather as well. For the price of all that, along with the purchase price, you can probably find a better example. The market on almost all older exotics is really slow/low right now.

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    #4 Kent Dellenbusch, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Hi Wade,
    Thank yo for your help. I'm new to posting on this site. I feel a 308 / 328 would be a great starter for me. A full service I'd expect to be around the 10k price I understand.
    Leather, I have a friend in AZ who does this on aircraft and a few other Ferrari's. I'd get a good deal on this.
    Do you have any recommendations as to what would need to be done on the 86 328s?

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The 328 is a great starter Ferrari, and a great keeper as well. They're probably the easiest to maintain and the lowest [total] cost of all Ferraris. While the 308 is simpler, it has carbs to deal with (I prefer F.I.).

Since the one you're looking at has higher miles (not a bad thing), I'd get a compression and leak-down test done before buying. But I hear that BHCC might not be very accommodating for that. But you should try anyway. Also, my personal rules, never buy sight-unseen (others are more adventurous than I). My next, and only other fear, is corrosion. I can't do body-work and paint myself so, for me, it's best to avoid it. Btw, rust issues aren't nearly as bad on the 328 when compared to the 308. Try perusing through the 308/328 forum for more info - loads of good stuff there.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forums/308-328.55/

Great to hear that you have a competent leather person nearby. Golden.

6. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Your expertise and opinion is appreciated. Thank you.
    I'll do some reading.
    Kent

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks, I'm certainly not an expert. But I did own and maintain a Mondial 3.2 which is essentially a 328 2+2. Plus three other Ferraris as well.

Enjoy.

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  8. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    So many people willing to offer their experiences on this site. Just wonderful support.
    I’ll have to look for a Pasadena are Ferrari mechanic. Do a little leg work and talking.
    Thank you again.
    K

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Congrats, I have had my 89 for 20 years, 102k miles. Parts are getting scarce for these cars. Just a little FYI, I myself have been buying new parts and keeping them on stand by for 20 years . Keep up on your majors, and the car will run fantastic . My starter and alternator lasted 100 K miles, I do not run synthetic oil, Valvoline Racing 20/ 50 mineral oil with ZINC additive , in my estimation is your best choice for oil, my car runs as good as it did with 20 K miles, so the oil must be doing its job. If you want to get the most performance, a Tubi and sport cat or test pipe will wake the car up. My accelerator and clutch cable lasted for 99 k miles. I was using shell full synthetic gear oil, now I have redline full synthetic in the gear box, I have not had any issues with the transmission. I had to replace caps and rotors at about 90 k miles, changed plug wires and extenders about 3 maybe 4 times over 20 years. I have to say, at 100 k miles the suspension system was working so well that after all brand new shocks , bushings, bearings the new suspension is not that much better than before. I did have a great improvement when I replaced all 4 motor mounts, they were shot , not sure for how long, but I had the new ones installed at 100 k miles.My car shifts like a knife through butter with the new motor mounts. So I hope this gives you some idea, and just so you know, I drive my car like my Formula One delusions of grandeur !! lol Yes, I drive it hard and fast.

10. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Glad to see your car is not a garage queen. They are moving art.
    I like your advice on parts. Good idea. Thank you.
    Kent

11. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Kent,

The letter reads of a Euro spec 328. I am no expert but I thought if you are registering a car in CA (I assume you are in CA) CA emissions are stricter. Cars after 1975 still need to have a SMOG year every two years. Does this 328 have a catalytic Converter and all the SMOG items?
    I brought my 1986 328 in from NC and had to have it SMOGed prior to going to the DMV.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I see at the bottom the car car comes with original catalytic Converter. You may have to have this reinstalled prior to your SMOG test.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good point. Even though the car is being sold in CA that's no guarantee it'll pass CA smog tests. So far Kent hasn't mentioned what State he's in.

14. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Yes, I'm in CA. This is a good point. Emissions are strict here.
    I'll look into C- converters.
    Thanks guys.

15. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Echoing Gino and Wade here. With a 328, just don’t skimp on the regular, preventative maintenance, and these cars will reward you. I’m closing in on 80K miles on mine. Had it out last weekend and it ran like a train.

The only thing that gives me pause (apart from the repainted spoiler/sunshade over the rear window) is the seller.

Now don’t get me wrong, I have never personally done business with BHCC, and have no reason to suggest that their representation of this car is anything less than accurate, but you need to go and spend time looking at and inspecting the car personally.

BHCC’s normal business model is to buy and resell non running, basket case hulks of cars advertised as ‘project’ candidates. And that’s 100% fine if that’s what the buyer is looking for.

Perhaps this one is the exception and they actually have a complete, running car for sale, but that would indeed be an exception for them.

Make sure you go and look at the car. In person. Yourself. Open everything. Make sure all the switches work. Drive it. Again, not suggesting that anyone is trying to do anything untoward, but it is a bit of a departure for BHCC to offer a car that isn’t massively flawed.

energy88 likes this.
  16. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I like this, just wish it was a solid top.

17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Paul beat me to it.

18. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    If he'll take 20k, I might know a guy:rolleyes:

19. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
  20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    As far as smog goes, I have a residency in California ( where I also keep my car due to it being the best climate in the world so i dont have to worry about my car being affected by abnormal / harsh weather , it could site for months with no worries ) , and my car with the cat installed passed smog no problem. You will probably need to have a Ferrari mech tune the air / fuel mixture, and check your plugs and wires / cap and rotors , and if your cat is working, you wont have a problem smogging, also if you have to buy an aftermarket non CA cat, it does not matter , the smog shops will not check , they know nothing about Ferraris. They will just dyno it and stick in the sniffer and go though the gears and see if it passes.

Thank you

21. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Kent,

CA DMV states that it us the seller’s responsible to have a SMOG done prior to the sale of the car. I am not sure how long back you can go for the SMOG prior to the sale of the car (30-70-90 days). Yes, the buyer can get the SMOG done after the sale but then you will buy ‘as is’ and if you can’t pass the SMOG test you are left with the bill.

I am not sure how the place the car is at will conduct the sale but if it is a dealer then they should get the car SMOGed and get you temporary CA plates.

If they don’t do that then I would be cautious.

If it was me and I saw the cat not installed I would insist of getting the SMOG items I stalled. You don’t want to deal with a car that does not pass SMOG in CA.

22. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I am just cautious when I see euro spec cars then trying to register them in CA. I am no expert but would do my homework if you are not going to run I to any issues.

I bought my 1986 328 in NC but it is a US spec and the engine bay has the sticker it is US legal. I spoke with the salesperson on this that I would bring the car to CA and have it registered there. They ensured the car had all emission controls and would not be an issue since the imported US spec also cover CA guidelines.

Good luck.

23. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Thank you Gentleman for all of your ideas and support. Smog check will definitely be a requirement before purchasing. Some great points to ponder.

24. joe5522

joe5522 Rookie

Oct 28, 2017
  25. Kent Dellenbusch

Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2008
    Upland, CA
    Full Name:
    Kent Dellenbusch
    Well, I passed on the 328 at BH motors. I have a new question. Is it true that all 328’s do not need the engine removed for a major service?