1985 QV Cabriolet - US - Key barrel won't engage pre-firing position | FerrariChat

1985 QV Cabriolet - US - Key barrel won't engage pre-firing position

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bulldog Ralph, Oct 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bulldog Ralph

Bulldog Ralph Rookie

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew Plummer
    Hi all, brand newby hoping for some assistance. I have recently acquired the above vehicle and we are having problems starting the vehicle. The first key position brings the battery light on without fail. However, the second key position continually fails to engage the rest of the dash lights. A separate start button has been fitted, so when the key is in correct start position, it won't fire even though the start button is tuning the vehicle over. I'm guessing that previous owner had issues with the actual fire position in the key system in order to have fitted the button.

Prior to seeking a second hand key/barrel/loom setup, I'm wondering if there are any known quick fixes that don't require a UK 550 pound part solution.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Put a volt meter on the coils to see if u r getting a supply with the key in correct position. I have the wiring diagram if u get stuck

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you are able to turn the key physically, the electrical portion is probably not going to cost 500 pounds to fix.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The diagram shows 3 wires on the ignition switch, No 30 is the supply (red), No 15 (Yellow striped black) is the supply to relay V which is the far right relay in the bottom row- this is the relay for the ignition switch ( position 1) by turning to pos 1 you supply volts to relay V which switches on aux circuits.
    The third wire is No50 in white which goes to the starter motor solenoid via connection block C1 ( lh side of instrument panel) and C3 ( lh side engine bay)
    Check fuses 10 cold start rated at 7.5 amp, fuse 21 for fuel pump rated at 15 amp.
    Check relay i. Top row far right fuel injection starting pump bosch no 0332204101
    t. Middle row far right. Relay for fuel pump. Bosch 0332014113
    v. Bottom row far right. Relay for ignition switch. Bosch 0332014113
    Be sure the previous owner has not put the wrong relay in and caused your present problems, they may plug into the base but function different ways

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the diagram again, i think the first position should bring on the dash lights etc, plus power to the fuel pump etc by energising relay V, bottom right. In this position you should have 12 volts on the coil supply.
    The 2nd position is the start where the white wire becomes live and supplies the starter solenoid. I think so as many years since the mondial gone