1985 Mondial Spyder | FerrariChat

1985 Mondial Spyder

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Carmelo T, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmelo T

Carmelo T Rookie

Sep 25, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Carmelo Turillo
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I think that anyone who calls the Mondial Cab a "Spyder" or "Spider" doesn't know very much about the car. So buyer beware.

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    This car has been rode hard and put away wet. If you want a cheap car that says Ferrari buy it for 10k. That way you could part it out and not loose. If you want a nice car it will cost more but worth it

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That one definitely needs a pre purchase inspection by a professional.

ronfrohock likes this.
  5. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
  6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Looks like a rough example. On the whole, the car looks like it was owned by someone who was into superficial cosmetics as the priority. The many mechanical requirements of a car this age were not likely attended to, at least not any time recently. Modified cars, that are also worn out looking have a very thin market.

The front end is completely non stock and fabricated, would be very be very costly to return to stock. The engine lid has been butchered with a clear panel put in, again can't be easily reversed without an expensive new lid. The rear quarter windows are down, my guess is they don't lift the windows, these are very challenging to refurbish (new motors and mechanisms are not available). The wheels are not stock, offsets are probably wrong, but they may be ok. The interior panels look like extra perforations are in the doors for add on speakers, the red leather inserts are probably dyed as that would not be stock. The shifter knob is not stock. The red steering wheel pad is not stock, but the steering wheel might be.

The engine dirtiness and signs of rust makes it look like the car was stored outside. I can see original hoses, so at the least lots of hose replacements for both safety and reliability is in the cards.

Looks like it would be a very risky purchase. But it is possible that if you are handy, have some $$ for parts, and can clean this up you would have a driver that could be fun. I think an unmodded example in the same mechanical condition would be a much better buy, and would give you a chance at some residual value when you are one with it.

7. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Jesus Christ what a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    That poor car! My heart breaks!

9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I'm sick.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    What's that about "spidey senses"? Anyone else? ;)

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Says it sold. Their's one born everyday

moysiuan likes this.
  12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Well that can only bode well for the owners of the better condition examples. The Mondial is starting to look like it may be on the small grind upwards path for valuations like what occurred for the Dino, which also started with rough examples trading beyond expectations, presaging a restoration market starting to develop for that model. Mondials are now also old enough for that market trajectory to make some sense.

13. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I saw this car on the internet several months ago! It was in poor showing condition then. I remember the glass case over the engine and the funny fiberglass bumper (which screams accident) Sorry to see a Ferrari handled this badly.

14. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I didn't try but would loved to have bought this for ten grand and had a Ferrari rat rod. Imagine the possibilities.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The body kit look horrid like someone paid someone to do it custom and they were not very good.

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Looks like there's holes in the rear trunk lid. Probably had a big wing on it.

17. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Odds that the OP is the seller?

18. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Haha! ;)

The car has been for sale several times in the recent past. It's a bit of a "distinctive" look that makes it hard not to remember it (for better or worse...).

It wasn't really done to my personal tastes, but I hope that whomever purchased the car enjoys it.

2cam

19. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    First post on Fchat. I say odds are pretty good.

20. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I think it would have been a fun project putting it back to standard.