1985 Mondial QV - 3.0 or 3.2? | FerrariChat

1985 Mondial QV - 3.0 or 3.2?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by blainewest, Dec 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Did all 1985 mondials come with 3.0 litre displacement or were some (or all) 3.2 L? If both displacements were used in this year is there a way to tell by the VIN or build date which would have which? Thanks, Blaine.

2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    3.0 litre engines were in the Mondial 8 1980 through to the 3.0.QV 1984. 1985 was the release year of the 3.2. This had colour coded bumpers whereas the 8 and QV have black bumpers.

To my knowledge (and I stand to be corrected) Ferrari did not put the 3.0 8 or QV engine in a colour coded car. Neither did Ferrari put a 3.2 in the QV.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Malc is right.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Just as a clarificiation, due to the way model years work in the US, there weren't any US 1985 3.2 Mondials. The "85s" here are 3.0 motors. I don't know how Canada handles model years.

5. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Thanks for the answers guys. Is there a way to tell if an 85 has the 3.0 or the 3.2? The car I'm looking at is in Canada and I don't know if it is a US car or not. Would there be a decal or badge somewhere which would indicate displacement? What about the motor number? Would that tell me, with the help of some reference source, which motor it is?

6. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Does this mean that if the motor has the red air plenum with the word "quatrovalvole" on it I can conclude that the motor is a 3.0 litre?
    Sorry if I misspelled "quatro...whatever".

7. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Look at the bumpers. Black bumper= 3.0 QV, same color as body= 3.2.

8. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Doh!! The car is Black!!!! so either way the bumpers will be "matching". Or... will the bumpers with the 3.2 be actual paint? Nothing is ever simple..

9. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Front grill is "snaggletooth" on a US 3.2

10. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    jeez..this is like deciphering the davinci code. What is a snaggletooth grill....do I call Tom Hanks now or what?

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #12 snj5, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The US have beefed up bumper mounts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Wade, thanks for these sites they are helpful....I'm not pulling any chains here. I'm looking at an 85 mondial about 300 miles from my home and I need to determine 3.0 or 3.2....It will make a difference to what I offer for the car. The seller is a dealer who really doesn't know much about Fcars so I need some help in directing him where to look to tell me which mill this car has. Thanks to your sites I now have the engine numbers for both block types....Now if only I knew where one would look on the chassis/block to find the engine type.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    #14 MalcQV, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cannot confirm this sorry. Mine is a 3.0 QV and has a black plenum w/o Quattrovalvole on :D

The easiest way to tell is the black bumpers vs colour coded. Many owners of QV's and 8's do paint the bumpers but they look entirely different. The correct colour coded bumpers (3.2 and T's) are a fared full bumper whereas the QV's and 8's look like this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Allright. The car I'm looking at has the same style bumpers as yours so I will conclude that it is the 3.0 L block. Isn't this just like a Ferrari....you can tell which engine it has by looking at the bumpers??!! God I love these cars.

16. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    :) welcome in Mondial world :)

ask them the link between interiors and engine... :D:D:D