1984 Ferrari 400i Coupe for sale on eBay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1984 Ferrari 400i Coupe for sale on eBay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JMFC, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #26 samsaprunoff, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Here is the Seller's Ebay response to the original auction's winner's negative feedback:

A couple of things seem odd about this... Firstly, does not the seller need to ensure that the car passes all CA smog before they can sell the car in CA? If so, then how could a damaged motor pass smog? I suppose the damage could be more mechanical in nature like a connecting rod or main bearing issue (e.g. an engine "knock"). Secondly, if the first auction was a no reserve, etc then why is the 2nd auction have a much higher start value (first auction... $200 2nd auction $45K)?

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day OttoB,

Given your post, I am curious if the Seller changed the wording, as I see no mention of the seller disparaging the forum. Here is the current wording:

Perhaps I am missing something? I do note that the seller is being somewhat cheeky about playing down a PPI because the seller feels that the car is apparently going to sell fast. I guess we shall see.

Cheers,

Sam

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Yes - I am not going to go into detail about the previous wording present less than 2 hours ago, but it has since been removed and I believe we are all for the better for it.

I hope the car goes to a good home and that perhaps some insight is shared as to the feedback post cancelling the eBay transaction due to something engine-related. I have a significant number of transactions via eBay and know that there are some bad apples all the time trying to take advantage of mostly sellers, ranging in all prices and locations. Even at the current asking price, I feel that the car is in line or below what others have sold for in recent times, so perhaps it will move soon onto a new owner.

4. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I sold 52389 car this summer for $50k. I've driven 6 cars in the 365 / 400 / 412 line. 52389 was excellent. I sold 52389 for a premium accordingly. 40065 was also excellent. I sold that one too. Get off my ass. People can buy cars and sell cars as they please. Enjoy your own car.

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Whatever Noah. No need to be ******.

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Actually, and I have no dog in this fight, he sounded pretty matter of fact to me.

7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Otto,I too saw the disparaging rantings re this bloke and Fchat...you're not alone and you were not seeing things!

8. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Too late!

9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I didn't see that, only his Fchat post. I get enough rantings in the OZ section :)

10. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Possibly someone from here contacted him to advise re defamation/ liable laws.....

11. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I read it too and thought what a great way to win friends!

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Noah,

I do not think anyone really cares if you buy and sell your cars. It just seemed odd that you were so excited about the car, etc and then you sold it. Sometimes that is the way it is, but from an outside perspective it just seemed odd... nothing more nothing else and so there is no need to be so adversarial about it.

That being said, your previous post's info seems contradictory to the Ebay ad's info. For example you stated that you sold 52389 this <past> Summer and yet the car's Ebay's info states the same acquisition time you mentioned in your original 52389 post:

Original 52389 Post
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/522536-back-saddle-again-52389-question-hood-vent-color.html dated 5-19-2016

Ebay Ad Info:
    Unless the Ebay Seller is using your info, it would seem that you and the Seller are one and the same which is totally fine, however, it contradicts that you sold the car this <past> Summer... unless you re-acquired the car after you sold it in the Summer? Again, this just seems odd. Regardless, do as you see fit.

Cheers,

Sam

13. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I don't know or care what a seller of a car posts. Leave me out of it.

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    More dickish behaviour. Wow.

15. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Well... Whoever ends up buying this car and visiting this forum will no doubt have a chuckle after he reads this thread! I also thought about the May 2016 coincidental reference in the purchase of the car but heck, at the end of the day - it all really comes down to someone having something that somebody else wants...

This is a CA legal car at a fair asking price, appears to be in good shape with a very nice color combo, and has some maintenance records available. Irrespective of previous maintenance history, I always get a PPI done for any of my cars as a condition to purchasing them since repairs get expensive in a hurry. There have been several other cars listed for sale recently - a brown one that underwent a 'resto' but had the interior all chewed up, then a nice red one, then a couple of convertibles, etc. To my knowledge, none had the BAR sticker this one does.

If someone in this forum has been looking for a CA specific one, then they ought to look into this one further. Just as I attempted once to formulate a definitive thread in this forum for transmission modifications and didn't get any different results from previous attempts, anyone here can search for ways to get their 400 series cars CA approved - but the consensus and overall result is - GOOD LUCK - as it likely won't happen if it isn't already smog compliant.

Ideally, the car would stay in CA to someone who has always wanted one, but the first person with the asking price in hand will get it. Hope the new owner checks in with us when that happens.

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Otto, I agree completely.

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Noah,

Why the hostility?... Geez... You could have simply said that you are not part of the auction ... or even nothing at all.

Cheers,

Sam

18. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Oh, this goes way back. I paid bjwhite $500 for 40065 warranty card and pouch. Much to my surprise, all I received was a warranty card and some other worthless documents. No pouch. Then it was my fault when I questioned why I never received a pouch. I was just supposed to assume I was paying $500 for a piece of paper. Ever since then I've gotten snide comments, not only from bjwhite, but from others, every time I post on the forum, so much so that I don't bother to post anymore. Then bjwhite has the nerve to question not only when I buy and sell cars, but also my motivations to do so. Hell if I bought the car back, which I'm seriously considering doing, there would be a big thing about that. So I really can't win in this situation. Apparently my car buying and selling habits are anathema, and there's been some kind of bizarre witch hunt against someone simply attempting to sell the dream to a new dreamer.

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Noah? Do you really want to go here?
    Think about it. I sold to you the original manual, the original numbered service book, AND the original sales sticker from the car, maybe a couple of other things I can't remember. Radio manual too? Close to a conplete set minus the pouch......

I'd do backflips and gladly pay $500 if I could simply find and reunite my missing service booklet. In my opinion you should be thankful I sold them to you. I'd be grateful if some kind soul reached out to me and said they had the service book for 50679.

And, the items other than the service book were far from "worthless peices of paper". Funny and all this time I never knew you were disappointed by the sale.

Check prices for full sets with pouches, or even good condition pouches alone. I certainly didn't gouge you. I even detailed out everything I was selling you--very clear. I went back to the email where I listed what I was selling you. Here it is.

"The original maintenance book showing serial number, selling dealer, early work on car. It's the black one for V12 cars before they started using the brown ones for series II cars.

The original owner's manual. The black one before they went to the brown for series II cars.

A schematic booklet for the Blaupunkt radio that would have come with the car originally.

An original "window sticker" from Continental Motors from when the car was new. You saw a pic of this.

A receipt for a yearly parking pass for the car from like 1984. Haha.

That's the list."

I am absolutely floored. And other than me being surprised at you flipping 400s, I don't think I've ever said a snide comment about you. Nor did I think we had a problem a couple years back when we did this deal. I would be estactic if someone unearthed my service book or any history items from my car.

So, keep on acting like ******. You're obviously making no friends here. *sigh*

I am happy that in the end, 40065 was reunited with its proper books. At the end of the day, that's what counts here.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

I gladly paid $1000 for my original BB pouch last year with all documents when someone reached out to me. I was floored it showed up and willing to pay pretty much anything. It was way below market value because it was not just about the money for the seller.

Now if someone has the stuff for my 400i number 38095 Im waiting :)

21. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Just proved my point. I'm made to feel as if it was my fault. I pray the new owner doesn't deal with this forum.

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You referring to my post above?

23. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Well, you paid for a pouch and materials for $1000. I paid for a pouch and materials for $500. I got materials. Then it is my fault for not receiving a pouch. That's like blaming the bank teller who got robbed because they showed up to work that day. Kettle black.

24. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    We can all get along and we should try harder. Feelings have been hurt, but let's take a break from name calling. This a nice, cool car and deserves a happy ending ;)

25. ggo

ggo Rookie

Jun 4, 2013