1984 BBi wheel spinner restoration | FerrariChat

1984 BBi wheel spinner restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PINNIN512, Mar 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Pondering the thought of restoring all 4 spinners that have some evidence of prior owner damaging the
    ears with a steel hammer. I know the easy way out and just buy new ones but funds need to be spent elsewhere. Anybody done this with satisfactory results? How much? where?

I am aware of the center details being negatively affected by this process.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I would consider sending them to Bob Smith's Coachworks in Gainesville TX. Hes been restoring Ferraris a long time and he does all of the chrome plating for the big name Ferrari restorers in the US.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm in a similar situation. Newman showed me the problem with replating; all the detail gets lost. I spoke with a guy who does engraving to bring back the detail, he said it can be done. But to strip, engrave, replate will probably cost a bunch. They are such a beautiful detail on the car.

Below are the shown differences. Very apparent. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks Paul for the pics.

Newman likes this.
  4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

I have a few three-ear spinners and I can confirm that a couple of them have been so overly plated that the rotation indicator is no longer visible.

Also I had the impression some were heavier than others, so I put them all on a scale, the result is surprising: the heaviest is 816 grams, the lightest 583 grams. The average among the 17 of them is 681 grams (that value happens to be also the median), not sure if there is a meaning to that in terms of wear and tear:)

Among the 17 is a Schedoni paper weight, the spinner looks new and has the expected thread, its weight is 713 grams. Not counted in the 17 is another Schedoni paper weight, the spinner has no thread and its weight is 1,024 grams.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Much of the problem is how they have been polished. It is labor intensive and often not done by people who have a high degree of concern for your parts.

Talk to Bob Smith. He isn't cheap. It may turn out getting new ones makes sense.

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran

Nov 1, 2003
    where to buy new octagonal and 3 eared knockoffs?

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    directly at borrani.com

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have had 2 sets of wheel center nuts done over the time with good result. Rifledriver is correct! It is all a matter of skills and economy. I have the best polisher you can imagine. He has the right machinery and knowledge, has polished for +25 years and cooperates closely with the plater. He also shares respect for the parts and not least the cars. Not cheap up front but cheapest in the long run not having to replace damaged parts and redo it all over again.

Best

Peter

9. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran

Nov 1, 2003
    per borrani.com...we do not sell the “raised/embossed” horse spinner. only the engraved horse.