1984 512BBi Exhaust Help | FerrariChat

1984 512BBi Exhaust Help

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by fptrob, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fptrob

fptrob Rookie

Aug 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rob Elliott
    I am finishing up an engine out service on my BB and I need new mufflers, the old ones are rusting badly. I had the headers ceramic coated, they were still in good shape. I then ordered ANSA mufflers (Part Nos. FE2367 and FE2377), thinking this was correct. I was wrong. The number of pipes is correct, but the layout is not.

As you can see in the photos, the large pipes and the small pipes are generally next to each other and facing relatively the same direction.

Anyone know (1) what type of system this is and (2) where I can get new mufflers? Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Rob,

As I understand it there are/were two types of exhaust systems you could have for Boxers. One was the standard 4 - can style and the other was the "Sports" exhaust which is a 2-can system. The mufflers you show in the pics look to be the "Sports" style and so you would need different exhaust headers/manifolds (e.g. Sport version). Do you have any pics of your original mufflers? Were they the 4-can version? Here is a picture to what I refer to as a 4-can system in Soshry's thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1983-bbi-restoration-starts.567324/page-7#post-146693609

Cheers,

Sam

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The headers you show are Ansa sport exhaust headers. The corresponding exhausts will be FE2337 and FE2327. You should be able to identify your original muffler by reading the small welded tag on each muffler (See picture). Eurospares show these numbers as "In stock" (Better call them to verify before you buy). I had my sport mufflers made in stainless steel by Nouvalari UK, about same price as originals but will last longer. A hint: Never buy used Ansa mild steel mufflers!

Best

Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. fptrob

fptrob Rookie

Aug 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rob Elliott
    Thanks, Sam!

5. fptrob

fptrob Rookie

Aug 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rob Elliott
    Thanks, Peter!

6. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Question... Would the Ansa be considered "Factory original" for Concours purposes? And how do they sound compared to the 4 can system? Just curious.

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I just learned that Tubi has a Classiche approved system for the Boxer! Maybe worth checking it out.

8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I wonder what that sounds like? A sport version would be nice.