1984 400i Timing Chain Tensioner | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1984 400i Timing Chain Tensioner

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by marolda, Mar 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If it is too tight it can wear a lot of things but not the guides. Most notably the bearings carrying the sprockets and the front cam bearings. Chain guides are on the outside of the chain and prevent it becoming disengaged from the crank sprocket when the chain is disconnected and prevent housing damage and excessive whipping when the chain is loose. That's why I say the guides take a beating when the chain is loose. The tensioner guide can be replaced, I have done it. Not a lot of fun but possible. Also when it is loose it wears the sprockets because the chain rides too high in them up where it is not supposed to. As I said earlier, I tighten it just enough not to rattle on overrun. Better a little loose than too tight. Besides, the motor expands quite a bit when hot and if it is too tight cool it will be way too tight hot.

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I just want to say 'Thanks!' for Brian hangin' in there thru all of this!...he took a hiatus from here because people weren't getting it, & I remember Rob commenting that 'people come & go', I thought he disappeared for good....Lost...
    Kidos to you!

3. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #53 Jasonberkeley, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    So, after all of the above, it looks like I actually have a "stickered" speedo, with odometer still reading in KM, as a new gauge face with MPH was simply stuck over the orginal German spec speedometer. Therefore the car actually should only have about 19,000 miles, which would explain why I still have plenty of adjustment left, as well as the appearance that the motor had not been out of the car (regardless of technique of chain install). ALso explains why the "miles" were clicking off too fast! Anyway, thought I would share that update. Thanks again for all the help guys!

4. blackbird59

blackbird59 Rookie

May 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    vincent philippe
    i would like to give more tension to the timing belt cause i think it has never been done but the big bolt is just too hard to get.
    is there a special tool ? do you remove it from the top or beneath the car ? thanks for help

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    You'll need to get an allen wrench (8mm I think) and cut down to length so it fits between the chassis member and bolt. See Post #25 although as I'd fitted new chain and tensioners I had to cut mine down further as the adjustment bolt was at maximum 'out' so very close to the chassis.

Can be done from either above or below, but below probably easier.

Don't remove it, just loosen the lock nut and tweek the centre bolt with the allen key to get the correct tension