1984 308GTS headlight switch repair how to with pictures | FerrariChat

1984 308GTS headlight switch repair how to with pictures

Discussion in '308/328' started by Beard Bros., Feb 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi everyone,
    I was doing some work on a friends 1984 308 and one of the repairs needed was the headlight switch. When you twisted the switch the headlight would work intermittently or sometimes not at all. So I decided to give it a try fixing the problem. When I took the end of the stalk off I found that the copper contact had completely broken off and someone had tried to bend what was left to make it work. The second picture is what it is supposed to look like. I used a copper pipe clamp and fabbed new contacts that I soldered onto the broken switch contacts. I left the ends long so I could trim them back and make adjustments. The fitment of the barrel at the end of the stalk is tricky, not much leeway between getting the contacts the right length and being able to snap the keeper ring at the open end back on. It took me about 3 hours but it works like new now!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GordonC, Dave Bertrand and miketuason like this.
  2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Nice. A hemostat is one of the most useful tools I have, along with a Dremel. Your friend is lucky to have a friend like you to fix his Ferrari for him! I assume he provided the customary beer and pizza. :)

Beard Bros. likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Nicely done!! A few months ago I did the typical loose wire re-solder to the copper blade contact, but this is the next level of repair job. Loving it!

Gordon

Beard Bros. likes this.