1983 QV - Cannot select 1st Gear and Reverse | FerrariChat

1983 QV - Cannot select 1st Gear and Reverse

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, Jun 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Usually after a run it is difficult to select reverse gear from 1st as I manoeuvre the car to get it back in the garage. Reverse gear feels notchy and it needs a bit of a slow shove. I usually leave the car parked in first gear. This morning when I started the car I had difficulty, at first, getting it out of 1st gear. It was very stiff then it felt like something maybe broke and now the gear stick moves scarily easily into 1st or Reverse but when I let out the clutch nothing happens.

It seems that 2nd to 5th gears are still operating normally.

I removed the rear ashtray and I can see that when I move the gear stick the selector shaft moves in and out and rotates so the problem must be rearwards from that point.

Any ideas what might be causing this? How bad could this be? Could it be something to do with the linkages or is it more likely to be a problem inside the gearbox?

The reason I ask is that I have a choice of independent Ferrari engineers near me. One about 20 miles from home the other about 80 miles from here. I would trust the local guys to repair the selector linkages but I would rather use the more distant guys if the gearbox needs to be rebuilt.

Do you think it would be ok to drive the car to either garage or should I get it towed to avoid any further damage?

Can you remove the gearbox from a 3.0 QV without removing the engine?

Thanks for your help, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mauro

2. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    It sounds like a misalignment of 1st/R forks inside the gearbox. Maybe one of them is loose on the linkage shaft. Better take a look at it to see what is going on.

I guess it is similar gearbox as the 328, so it might be an easy fix just dropping the pan, and given that nothing is broken.

3. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Hi Conan. Thanks for your reply. If I have managed to break the selector fork could that be repaired without removing the gearbox?

4. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Not sure. You need to slide the shaft out enough to remove the fork, if it is the selector fork or the synchro sleeve fork. Hopefully, it is only a misalignment or loose fork. In neutral, it should look like this, the selector forks should almost touch eachother and line up exactly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Someone correct me, but I do not think removing the shaft can be done without lifting or pulling the engine.

But do not do it first, check what it looks like inside the gearbox first.

5. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks Conan.

6. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    You don't need to lift or drop the engine to remove the shaft. I would start with the followings:
    • Remove the center console and go under the car by the shift shaft to inspect both bushings (Table 33, Item 28 below) in the shift shaft linkage for any play in them.
    • If they're good, the next thing to do is drain the gearbox oil and drop the pan.
    • Inspect the folk for proper alignment. Then have someone in the car shift thru all gears while you observe the alignment and movement of the fork thru the gears. Refer to my video on YouTube (link below)
    Hope this helps.

moysiuan likes this.
  7. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Very helpful. Thanks AndruL.

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I had the same issue at one point and all we needed to do is drop the pan and re-tighten the selector in the correct position. Then please don't forget to refill the gearbox oil :D

9. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I went to see my closest mechanic, he seemed to know all about the problem so its booked in with him next Friday. :)

10. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    And make sure the synchro sleeve fork, detent ball and selector fork line up well to allow the gear shifter to line up well in the gate. It is not too difficult, but may take some time to get it in optimal positions.

You ultimately want to hear the R and 1st exit with a click regardless of how close you try to pass the gate cut-out to 2nd or 3rd, if this makes sense.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    At 40 years old, you would expect the bushings (2x) to need replacement. The one under the shifter housing is really hard to access. In the US, this whole thing would run $1,000.

12. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Good news. I got the car back yesterday. They replaced the bushes in the gearbox linkage. All the spares were available and cheap. No drama. They had to remove the gear selector fork from inside the gearbox which meant they had to replace the gearbox oil. Apparently the oil was in a really bad state so it's probably just as well this happened, it has been on my 'to do list' for quite a while. And with a new gasket, there might even be a few less drops of unidentified liquid under the car :)

Mauro

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    The linkage is often an issue :) I love the color of your Mondial Mauro, never seen it in real life! Were in or region in Italy you reside? We often are in Regio Emilia. Perhaps we can catch up one time it's always nice to meet other Modial owners.

14. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Hi MvT. The colour is Azzurro Metallico. The car was yellow when I bought her but this is the original colour. If I'd bought the car new in 1983 I wouldn't have chosen this colour but I am very pleased with it now. We live near the small town of Bagni di Lucca. Just the other side of the mountain from Maranello. It would be great to meet up. :)

Mauro

15. slimnios

slimnios Rookie

Mar 23, 2022
    London
    Full Name:
    Stratis Limnios
    Dear Mauro,

I hope this note finds you well - and that your fabulous car is still running well!

I have a rather strange (and long-winded) question for you - I am trying to track down my late father's old Mondial (Blue, QV, Cabriolet, RHD, beige seats with grey inserts) and I have come across a strange coincidence.

When I searched for the registration number of the car (from when he owned it) on the UK's DVLA website - WJH 786Y - it comes up with a registration plate change to FLD 248Y (WJH 785Y until 1992, then 777KO until 1993, then GEO26E until 1994, then FLD248Y).

Having been scrolling through the forum to find any signs of what was my father's car, I noted that your car was in fact a blue RHD Mondial QV, converted to yellow at some point (per the DVLA website), with that same registration before you brought it to Italy - however of course yours is a Coupe, not a Cabriolet!

I wonder if you might by any chance have any idea how this might have happened / if you happen to know the history of your car going that far back?

For reference, I believe my father bought the car from new in the mid-80s from Maranello Concessionaires. He kept it until c.1988-89.

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

All the very best

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    From what i recall from my mondial gearbox- if you drop the bottom cover off the gearbox there are a few tiny springs and little balls or sleeves that drop out onto the floor. So have a look at the diagram first so you know what to expect. I did not know and they dropped on the floor when i was changing the sump joint.